PDA

View Full Version : Drysuit Underwear

BG9879
11-05-2007, 11:37
I just purchased my first drysuit and I have debating what type of underwear I should get. If anyone has any advice for me it would be great. I bought a DUI TLS350. I will be diving in MN in cold water for possibly extended times, so warmth is very important.

I was debating getting DUIs Thinsulate 400. My LDS has some Diving Concepts that they highly recommend. I am not sure what to get so I thought I would open this discussion up and see what advice people can give me.

Charles R
11-05-2007, 12:12
I would say the single most important under garment is DUI StretchLiner 100 JumpSuit, Drysuits, DUI, DUI StretchLiner 100 JumpSuit (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DUIStretchLiner100JumpSuit) ot is the basic that I always where no mater the water temp

BoomerNJ
11-05-2007, 12:38
This (http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-159/066193/Tilos-Unisex-Dry-Suit-Undergarment.html) is the one I use... It's warm & inexpensive. I also have the TLS350 & it gets chilly in colder water... If I need warmer, I add layers under (under armor) or over it... I would love the DUI ones, but they are extremely expensive...

CompuDude
11-05-2007, 13:10
I just purchased my first drysuit and I have debating what type of underwear I should get. If anyone has any advice for me it would be great. I bought a DUI TLS350. I will be diving in MN in cold water for possibly extended times, so warmth is very important.

I was debating getting DUIs Thinsulate 400. My LDS has some Diving Concepts that they highly recommend. I am not sure what to get so I thought I would open this discussion up and see what advice people can give me.

You'll need serious, thick undergarments such as the ones you mention for frigid MN waters. You may also want to check out Weezle Extreme... they often get a lot of mentions from those involved in extreme cold diving. The two linked above are NOT suitable for the kinds of temps you're looking at.

On option may be the Fourth Element undergarments. They've been receiving a lot of very good press lately. I don't know if they're warm enough for your temps, however... I don't have much experience with waters colder than 45 degrees, but I know the stuff I usually use (48 is the coldest it gets in SoCal) won't cut it.

cummings66
11-05-2007, 18:12
Most people seem to be happy with a 400 gr suit, I'm happy with a 200 gr suit myself and our temps will get to about 36 degree's or so.

I'd say for the average diver check out the 400 gr thinsulate or the Weezle, my buddy has one and loves it but you've got to have the room for it to loft.

terrillja
11-05-2007, 19:15
I dive 200g with heavyweight fleece under it and smartwool socks down to 40. I have always been comfortable.

cummings66
11-06-2007, 21:03
You've got to admit not many people would be happy in 40 degree water like that. I'm ok with it, but most of my buddies use heavier under garments.

terrillja
11-06-2007, 21:07
You've got to admit not many people would be happy in 40 degree water like that. I'm ok with it, but most of my buddies use heavier under garments.

Agreed. Then again I usually dive my 3/2/1 down to 55 degrees. Most people wouldn't do that either. I love cold though.

Marcin2005
11-08-2007, 09:22
I dive my TLS350 with 200g thinsulate and a vest from those guys SANTI (http://santi.com.pl/en/ocieplacze.php).

This setup is adequate for up to 50 min dive in a water that's in the low 40s. However, for longer periods or during winter months I would want to get 400g undies.

PS. Forgot to add that SANTI undies are custom cut so they fit like a glove.

MSilvia
11-08-2007, 09:41
Whatever you get, make sure it fits well and doesn't limit your flexibility. You should be able to crouch into a ball, touch between your shoulder blades, and reach toward the ceiling without a problem when wearing your undergarment under your suit. For that reason, I strongly recommend trying before you buy.

That said, I dive a Weezle Extreme and was fairly comfortable doing 12 minutes of deco after my suit started leaking in 38 degree F water. I didn't close the zipper properly.

WV Diver
11-08-2007, 10:18
I love that TLS350se but I have only tried them out. I have a Whites Drysuit and I use the T-100 undergarment made by Bare. Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (http://http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=T100Polarwear)

I like it because it is slick on the outside and it makes it easier to get in and out of.

You probably want the T-200.

ScubaJW
11-08-2007, 13:05
I would suggest anything that is thinsulate and 400g. It's outstanding how they work. You don't really feel the wet when you sweat or water got into the drysuit and you still feel toasty!

whitenoise
11-09-2007, 03:24
Check out CompuDude's recommendation of Fourth Element (http://www.fourthelement.com). While I haven't got round to using any of there drysuit thermals yet, their thermocline range is excellent. Their Xerotherm range is a firm favourite of divers over here.

I might have missed what kind of drysuit it is, but if you have a membrane suit you will need the Artics at a minimum. The good thing is though the suits are light enough to layer-up or down. So for extreme waters you could have their drybase, Xerotherm and Xerotherm Artic which should keep you seriously toasty! For warmer waters just remove one or more parts. I also believe they are releasing a new range called SubZero (next level above Artics) nextyear specifically designed for membrane suits.

Easydiver
11-09-2007, 11:35
I second the Weezle Extreme suggestion. Very comfortable and warm. It's like wearing a synthetic down sleeping bag.
We dive in Puget Sound and north into Canada and this suit is far warmer than the triple thick fleece I used to have. I've been down to 45 degrees F and been pretty warm. It's much less bulky than fleece. Suit compresses down to a small sleeping bag stuff sack for trips.
We also just got the Weezle Extreme Plus for my wife -- extremely thick undergarment. It should keep her warm regardless of the water.

texdiveguy
11-09-2007, 12:40
BARE manf. some of the best undergarments available...... I would sugg. you look at that line.

BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection (http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/main_dive_drysuit_underwear.aspx)

quasimoto
11-09-2007, 15:41
I would suggest getting two layers so you can dive warmer waters as well as cold. The fine folks at Divetank recommended this and I don't regret it at all. I have 100g fleece and the Bare t-100 and haven't been cold yet. Most of my dry dives are in the 40's and at least 50 minutes long.

texdiveguy
11-09-2007, 15:49
I would suggest getting two layers so you can dive warmer waters as well as cold. The fine folks at Divetank recommended this and I don't regret it at all. I have 100g fleece and the Bare t-100 and haven't been cold yet. Most of my dry dives are in the 40's and at least 50 minutes long.

Layering as you point out is a great way to address thermo protection in dry suit diving.

RECDiver
11-09-2007, 16:06
I use the DUI thinsulate undergarment and love it.

texdiveguy
11-09-2007, 16:16
I use the DUI thinsulate undergarment and love it.

I have a DUI fleece vest I really like for layering.