PDA

View Full Version : Dry Suit for a BIG guy

Moxie
07-19-2007, 17:19
Now my SO is a big ol' teddy bear of a man. He's approximately 6'1" and 285 lbs. He's quite chesty to boot. Is there a dry suit out there that will fit him? Or is he stuck with his "almost" warm enough wetsuit?

ScubaToys Larry
07-19-2007, 17:28
Actually, we might have a custom made one that someone ordered and never picked up that might work great. Give Joe a call at the shop and talk to him about it.

Moxie
07-19-2007, 17:36
Excellent... I just emailed you guys regarding a bc / drysuit for me. This could be fun!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>He has size 16 feet, so that might be the hang up. </DIV>

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 18:20
Most, if not all, drysuits can be custom made to fit anyone. In fact, it's considered preferable to get a custom suit, since fit is everything, unless you are lucky enough to perfectly fit an off-the-rack size.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 18:21
With size16 feet, he won't needfins then. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Moxie
07-19-2007, 19:05
Oddly enough the do sort of look like fins! :)

mwhities
07-19-2007, 21:27
He's not a big guy, just big footed. :)

I'm 6' 6" and 330lbs and looking to get a dry suit soon. I doubt I'll find anything to fit me that's "stock". Ohh, BTW, I wear 16s as well. :)

If you find some, let me know. ;)

Michael

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 21:49
He's not a big guy, just big footed. :)

I'm 6' 6" and 330lbs and looking to get a dry suit soon. I doubt I'll find anything to fit me that's "stock". Ohh, BTW, I wear 16s as well. :)

If you find some, let me know. ;)

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Don't think it helps, but I've got a pair of size 16 wrestling shoes laying around. Any chance you're in high school and living in San Diego? We'll have to cut you down to 285, but there's a pair of shoes waiting for you. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

mwhities
07-19-2007, 21:53
I wish I was back in high school. I did wrestle from the 3rd grade till 6th grade. Loved it.

Michael

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 11:49
I'm 6'6 275 lbs and have an off the rack northern diver vortex that fits perfectly. theres even one size bigger available for the extra extra big divers. Great suuit for the price. runs around 1300 retail i beleive.

Moxie
07-28-2007, 15:06
Really... wow. But I wonder what size feet they have. I'll look into it. Thanks DirtyWater.

Cichlid
07-29-2007, 23:33
You know what they say about guys with big feet, right? Big fins!

Moxie
07-30-2007, 04:48
You know what they say about guys with big feet, right? Big fins!

:smiley36:

GONEHAWKN
07-30-2007, 12:18
hi everyone. i will chime in here only because myself and my 2 dive buddies just went through this earlier this year with the whole drysuit thing. we are all odd shaped guys, so no off the shelf suit was going to fit us. the cost of custom suits are CRAZY. i got lucky with mine i think. i end'd up ordering a Bare Trilam HD Tech from another shop in B.C.(sorry Joe and Larry. i did call you guys with their price and i was told it could not be matched) the suit ran me $1600.00. that included the cost of the custom cut, and some extra options on the suit. they threw in undergarments and some other small stuff as well. my other 2 buddies order'd from a UK company called SeaSkin. both suits were custom cut(they have no off the shelf stock sizes to offer) and they ran right around $1000.00 this was with next-day shipping included. depending on the currency exchange this price could go up or down. i thought i would throw this out as an option. the suit are very well made, covered in Cordura head to toe. i can see why the local police and fire departments order from them. anyway, good luck on the drysuit hunt.

Bill

Hex92
07-31-2007, 08:49
Bare drysuits/wetsuits are the way to go. They have a ton of off the rack sizes and you can get semi-custom/custom suits too. I just got a Bare XCD2 Tech drysuit. I am a stock LT in everything but height. I am 1" over the line, so they added 1" to the legs. I dove it for the first time last weekend and it feels like it was made just for me. I didn't buy it from Scubatoys, but I am sure Larry and the crew can help get you into a suit that fits well.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 15:16
Really... wow. But I wonder what size feet they have. I'll look into it. Thanks DirtyWater.

The boot size on the suit I have is US 12, I wear a 13 and they fit fine with relativly thin socks. I'm pretty sure the boots would fit an 11 or 12 just fine with some thicker wool socks on.

Moxie
07-31-2007, 23:23
Unfortunatley he's a 16 in the feet. It's pretty much been socks or socks for him thus far.