PDA

View Full Version : Hoseless Air Integration Backup

Navy OnStar
11-05-2007, 22:31
For those of you who use a hoseless air integrated computer, do you use a backup guage?

NitroWill
11-05-2007, 22:34
I use a (hosed? :p) AI computer and I still have a backup SPG I keep clipped/bungied away..

dutchman
11-06-2007, 11:07
Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Isn't the idea to reduce drag and hoses?

NitroWill
11-06-2007, 11:08

Not necessarily, some people just like having the computer on their wrist - wouldnt be too easy or comfortable to do with a hosed computer :p

Also, my SPG is bungied to the tank so it is out of the way and not dangling away so it really isnt an issue - but if something did happen to my computer, I have it there.

Chad
11-06-2007, 11:26
I have an AI wrist comp and a plain brass and glass spg for a backup.

dutchman
11-06-2007, 11:49

Not necessarily, some people just like having the computer on their wrist - wouldnt be too easy or comfortable to do with a hosed computer :p

Also, my SPG is bungied to the tank so it is out of the way and not dangling away so it really isnt an issue - but if something did happen to my computer, I have it there.

I never thought about the bunge to tank. Nice idea. Does your wrist computer have an electronic compass or is that a wrist mount also?

NitroWill
11-06-2007, 11:51

I never thought about the bunge to tank. Nice idea. Does your wrist computer have an electronic compass or is that a wrist mount also?

I don't use wrist mounted - not for me. I have my AI computer in a console along with a compass. Other options would be to have the compass wrist mounted as well or cliped to a retractor.

CompuDude
11-06-2007, 11:52
Wireless AI wrist comp + analog SPG clipped off to the left hip on a short hose.

Compass on wrist also.

Netsloth
11-06-2007, 12:04
I like turkey, as a rule, but lately, I find myself leaning more toward ham. The exception is fried turkey, which I love.

Oh, and I have a brass 'n glass spg for backup.

BSea
11-06-2007, 13:02
Wireless AI wrist comp + analog SPG clipped off to the left hip on a short hose.

Ditto

I like turkey, as a rule, but lately, I find myself leaning more toward ham. The exception is fried turkey, which I love.

Oh, and I have a brass 'n glass spg for backup.

and Ditto on the fried turkey.

Puffer Fish
11-06-2007, 14:17
For those of you who use a hoseless air integrated computer, do you use a backup guage?
My backup is a small spg clipped off to my side and a Citizen dive watch with depth (solar). I don't like the idea of having my computer break on the first dive and then not being able to do the next dive... so have tables with me also. I also always have an extra computer with me.. Oceanic or aries standard, just in case.

Tableleg
11-06-2007, 16:13
[QUOTE=NitroWill;87870Not necessarily, some people just like having the computer on their wrist - wouldnt be too easy or comfortable to do with a hosed computer :p[/QUOTE] That's why I got my computer. :smiley1:

The wireless model was not an option for me, but if I had to look into buying one, that's probably what I'd look into getting.

texdiveguy
11-06-2007, 16:19

I am 'not' a HAI computer fellow....but most of the divers I am aware of that are use a back up SPG.

kyfriedchipper
11-06-2007, 23:11
For those of you w/ AI computers - what would you do if it failed? What would you do if your AI computer worked and your backup SPG failed? My answer would be to "end the dive", but interested in your opinions..

CompuDude
11-06-2007, 23:56
For those of you w/ AI computers - what would you do if it failed? What would you do if your AI computer worked and your backup SPG failed? My answer would be to "end the dive", but interested in your opinions..

Depends on my profiles and whether I had a backup means of tracking bottom time and depth.

Since I do (my watch), unless I was in a series of multiple dives and depending on the computer, I would probably continue the dive until my alternate tools indicated it was time to call the dive.

Iceman
11-07-2007, 01:54
All machines can break. That includes everything. Most of my diving is on the end of an expensive trip to the dive site. I don't want to lose any of that expensively bought diving due to a malfunction.

So, I carry a backup to everything except my regulators so I don't miss any dive time. Until my last set of regulators I thought they were reliable enough I didn't need a backup set. I'm rethinking that.

Mind you, it isn't a matter of life safety. It is a matter of economics. I believe failure of properly maintained and pre-dive checked gear is almost as rare as commercial airplane accidents.

Puffer Fish
11-07-2007, 08:29
SPG failed... would continue the dive...
Watch failed.. would continue the dive.

Computer failed.. on first dive.. would depend on depth and my math skills to do the tables... deep... it ends dive, shallow, say under 60 ft, it does not.

computer failed on second dive.. ends the dive (as I cannot do those tables in my head.

Note: I aways do a simple profile check on my first dive, so I know roughly the max time at the expected maximum depth allowed..

abcitydiver
11-07-2007, 12:09
I keep a small SPG tied off and out of the way...just in case (little or no drag) and wear a swatch fun scuba...give me time and depth (and always matches my computer!)