PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Diving?

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 20:14
Whatare your favorite Wreck Dives and Whereare theyLocated?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So far for me it is;</DIV>
<DIV>(1) Spiegel Grove in Key Largo,Florida</DIV>
<DIV>(2) Adolphus Busch in Looe Key, Florida </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Next up... The big "O" USSOriskany in Pensacola,Fl
smileys/smiley3.gif 888 feet of the world’s largest deliberately created artificial reef.</DIV>

PlatypusMan
07-19-2007, 20:30
Bianca C. in Grenada.

mwhities
07-19-2007, 21:23
<div>Next up... The big "O" USSOriskany in Pensacola,Fl</font>
smileys/smiley3.gif 888 feet of the world’s largest deliberately created artificial reef.</div>

When do you plan to do it? I may have to meet up with you and dive the big girl.

Michael

Rascal1933
07-19-2007, 22:07
Michael,
<DIV>Hows about Tommorrow at about 9 A.M ? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yeah that sounds good bud &gt; that would be a blast to meet up and dive it!</DIV>
<DIV>Well as soon as I can get something solid set,Iwillgive you a shout.</DIV>
<DIV>Mmmm... Sept/Oct?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Take Care Bro,</DIV>
<DIV>Rascal</DIV>

techgnostic
07-20-2007, 00:15
Well as soon as I can get something solid set,Iwillgive you a shout.
<DIV>Mmmm... Sept/Oct? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Throw it on the Community:Trips&amp;Travel board, so we can all salivate and toss our work schedules into a tizzy. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Besides, it just down the street from me (NOLA).</font></DIV>

picxie
07-20-2007, 02:43
Rainbow Warrior; NZ.
<DIV>It was a Greenpeace ship that was bombed by the French in 1985. The ship sunk and one person was killed. It ended up being re-sunk up north in Matauri Bay. It's only a small wreck, but has lots of meaning and is a great dive. Sure, there are bigger and much more impressive ships out there, but I really like this one and the dive was very surreal.</DIV>

Joew
07-20-2007, 03:00
My favorite around here (Hawai'i) is the YO-257. It may not be the most impressive wreck, but it is a two for one sort of deal. There is another wreck, the San Pedro, less than 50 yards away. On a good day you can hit up both ships on the same dive. You just need to look both ways before crossing the street. The Atlantis submarine tour cruises between the two ships several times a day.

Rascal1933
07-20-2007, 21:58
My favorite around here(Hawai'i)is the YO-257
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hi joew,</DIV>
<DIV>YO-257isusually on Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine's top 5 of US best wrecks.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Agree with you on the YO-257&gt; it is a Great dive. I did it appx 2 yrs ago. The Vis was Amazing 100+feet easy!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>joew,have you dove the The Mahi Wreck on west coast?</DIV>
<DIV>*That is another must do wreck dive on your Island.</DIV>

Joew
07-20-2007, 22:05
No, I haven't had the chance to dive the Mahi yet. I want to do it soon, though, because I've heard it's starting to deteriorate.

fire diver
07-20-2007, 23:46
So far I haven't had the chance to dive any "real" wrecks yet. Being land-locked makes it much harder for me. The one true wreck I know of, if a 6 hour drive away. It's a 100 foot, double deckerpaddle wheeler rest on a slope from about 55 to 85 feet (IIRC). The last time I was there, the rains had blown the vis.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>All the other "wrecks" have been intentional, stripped boats. Diving the Great Lakes wrecks is one of my goals. I am working on getting the training and practice to dive those.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:29
no real wrecks for me either but we are diving a local lake that has a 1955 snap on tool truck that was abandonded , a bulldozer , school bus and few boats so should be pretty cool.

WaterRat
07-22-2007, 15:37
Spiegle Grove as well for the massive size and I also liked the Antilla in Aruba for the history. It's in pretty bad shape by now but still a nice wreck. Honestly, any wreck is my favorite wreck, I like em all.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

the gooch
07-22-2007, 15:41
Spiegel Grove for me.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:26
I am missing out. I have only been on the C-53 in Coz but plan on hitting the grove soon

ScubaCrash
07-22-2007, 22:34
Superior Producer in Curacao....11 times http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 22:44
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>ScubaCrash What was that like?</DIV>
<DIV>Must have been pretty darn good,to dive it 11 times!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

ScubaCrash
07-22-2007, 23:08
Rascal, it was probably one of my favorite dives to do the 4 months I was there. Even though we got pounded a few times by rough swells on entry and exit from the shore, we always had a blast. Couple times we hit some pretty ripping currents to, but then we'd just go head down and haul butt for the cargo bay at 85 feet where we could catch our breath and head for the wheelhouse or the bottom of the hold. Always saw a lot of cool stuff, tarpon, turtles, lobster, huge angels, cudas. Looking forward to going back in a couple years.

texdiveguy
07-22-2007, 23:18
Many of the popular 'so called' wreck are actually artificial reefs....and not true wrecks---big difference between the two. Knit-picking I know.

Moxie
07-22-2007, 23:26
I barely remember most of the wrecks that I dive because I'm too busy looking at the life on it. However, the Niagara II out of Toby is pretty damn cool.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 21:01
I dove the Spiegel Grove once and I am hooked on wreck diving. I want to dive it a few more times.

sidneydiver
04-13-2008, 21:56
My favourites have been the Spiegel Grove and the Oriskany, but I have a soft spot for the Castor off West Palm because it was the 1st wreck I dove and now I LOVE wreck diving!