PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit Thickness?

UCFKnightDiver
11-06-2007, 22:35
Hey is there any general rule of thumb to like at what temperature are different thinknesses preffered?

texdiveguy
11-06-2007, 22:51
Wetwear - How Thick A Wetsuit Do I Need? (http://wetwear.com/howthick.htm)

As you progress in your diving career you will learn what best for you....but the above link is a place to get a basic idea to start off with.

rfreddo
11-06-2007, 23:30

As you progress in your diving career you will learn what best for you....but the above link is a place to get a basic idea to start off with.

I'm stressing over my wetsuit choices for my AOW at Lake Travis this weekend. The LTTS report (thanks for the link Texdiveguy) shows pretty consistent H2O temp around 75 degrees down to 60 ft. This chart indicates that a 3mm shorty over a 3mm full would be plenty for this temp. That's good news, if it's to be believed, as I have both. I've been in 66 degrees at 60 feet for about 5 minutes in a full 3mm and was pretty cold, though the "chill" may have had as much to do with the fact that it was pitch black, there was 1-2 foot vis and it was my 3rd or 4th dive out of OW.

If anyone is familiar (Texdiveguy, this is a nudge for you :smiley2:) with Lake Travis's profile, I'm interested in learning more about the lake. All of my dives to date were at CSSP with at least two distince thermoclines. The LTTS report for Travis makes it look like there is no thermocline, at least not above 60 feet. Is there really no thermocline? Is there one below 60 feet? The plan for AOW is to go to 100 for a quick stop and I'd really like to avoid freezing my butt off. If the LTTS report is to be believed and I can expect 75 degrees at most depths, I may just buy a hood and gloves for the deep dive. Any thoughts?

Puffer Fish
11-07-2007, 07:25

Right on... I would be wearing at least a 4 mm suit in 75 degree water. Keep in mind that depth also plays a factor... a 100 ft dive in 75 degree water for me is a 7/5 if I want to be comfortable on the second dive.

A 45 ft dive at 75 degrees is a 3mm, with hooded vest.

But that is just me.

rfreddo
11-07-2007, 10:43
Good point puffer fish. I hadn't taken into account that the insulation value is going to be much less at 100 than at shallower depths.

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate this forum? Thanks!

UCFKnightDiver
11-07-2007, 12:45
hmm I want a jumpsuit, but cant decide if a 5mm or 7mm is going to be adequate for 72 deg springs will I be too hot in a 7mm (also might take it in the ocean around florida in winter which is colder with thermoclines and stuff) I hear all people arew different just afriad I might be the different one, and will suffer buying a suit that isnt adequate. any info does anybody in florida ocean dive over the winter, and can give me some pointers, and spring dive

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-07-2007, 23:16
I've found that having a good fitting 5mm full with a separate hooded vest and gloves is extremely versatile. For your AOW, I doubt you will be below the thermocline very much. A 5mm should work fine. Some people use a farmer john and jacket combo.

texdiveguy
11-08-2007, 00:01
hmm I want a jumpsuit, but cant decide if a 5mm or 7mm is going to be adequate for 72 deg springs will I be too hot in a 7mm (also might take it in the ocean around florida in winter which is colder with thermoclines and stuff) I hear all people arew different just afriad I might be the different one, and will suffer buying a suit that isnt adequate. any info does anybody in florida ocean dive over the winter, and can give me some pointers, and spring dive

We are each different......of course if your budget allows and you think your diving will justify a 5 and 7mil suits get both.
IMO its always a wee bit better to be on the warm side in terms of thermo protection when it comes to diving....take a 7mil full suit....lets say it is a bit warm for the 7mil but to cold for a 3mil....you don't have access to a middle ground 5mil.....simply leave the leg cuff zippers open for water to cool you and if ness leave the back entry zipper down....these are ways to make due with a suit. You can always find a simple solution to cool down during a dive...but its almost impossible to warm back up during a dive in a wet suit.

WaScubaDude
11-08-2007, 00:16

We are each different......of course if your budget allows and you think your diving will justify a 5 and 7mil suits get both.
IMO its always a wee bit better to be on the warm side in terms of thermo protection when it comes to diving....take a 7mil full suit....lets say it is a bit warm for the 7mil but to cold for a 3mil....you don't have access to a middle ground 5mil.....simply leave the leg cuff zippers open for water to cool you and if ness leave the back entry zipper down....these are ways to make due with a suit. You can always find a simple solution to cool down during a dive...but its almost impossible to warm back up during a dive in a wet suit.

I like your thinking on this one. I think a 7 mil either jumper or two piece. You can leave the zippers down, plus I have never heard any diver say "I was way to warm on that dive." Now above water, that is another story.

UCFKnightDiver
11-08-2007, 12:00
well any divers in florida during the winter oceans that is any opinions what do you guys use?? and how cold can the water get?

Puffer Fish
11-08-2007, 12:41
well any divers in florida during the winter oceans that is any opinions what do you guys use?? and how cold can the water get?

I dive a lot in the West palm/Boyington area... worst I have ever worn is a 7/5, but a 5mm would work fine (the one suit I am missing). Destin area is water in the 50's.

bvav
11-22-2007, 19:12
I dive in Travis pretty regularly. About a month ago I wore a 2.5 hooded vest and was fine. Now (I know this is a few weeks after your post) I wouldn't go in with less than a 5/3. In terms of a thermocline, it varies with the season. Sometimes there's not one, sometimes it's at 35, and sometimes it's at around 60. If you stop into one of the Austin area dive shops, I would ask them what it's doing.