PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom or cobra

chewyjr15
11-07-2007, 12:39
based on my budget i cannot afford hoselss ai so I'm looking at the wisdom and the cobra right now my money is on the cobra just want some input

fireflock
11-07-2007, 14:35
The older wisdom (1) is on closeout at ST right now. As I understand it, it's the same computer as the wisdom2, just with a little different look.

I faced a similar choice and 1 difference I found was in the conservatism (or lack of) on the algorithms. I went with the more liberal wisdom.

The only thing I regret is the outrageous price of the download cable. Users of some of the more popular computers have developed DIY download options, but with the Wisdom you're stuck.

Rich

NitroWill
11-07-2007, 15:28
I have the Wisdom and I really like it! It has a large display and has some really cool features! Only bad thing is the download cable isnt cheap at all for some reason :(

fireflock
11-07-2007, 15:50
I think the wisdom is also the same computer as maybe on the Aeris machines (internal, they look different)? I'm not sure on that, but it might help to complicate your search :)

chewyjr15
11-07-2007, 15:55
the salesman said their is a way to make the cobra more liberal by changing the settings is this true

NitroWill
11-07-2007, 15:55
I think the wisdom is also the same computer as maybe on the Aeris machines (internal, they look different)? I'm not sure on that, but it might help to complicate your search :)

I already researched that - I was told the Aeris cable WILL NOT work on the wisdom :smiley21:

fireflock
11-07-2007, 16:06
I didn't mean use the cable, I meant the OP might also want the consider the Aeris in addition to his 2 choices.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'd love to find an alternative download cable for the wisdom myself.

Rich

CaribbeanDiver
11-07-2007, 16:44
sorry to hijack, sort of, but I just got the Aeris AI and used it on my last trip. it is very user friendly, has some nice features and the cable is not that expensive ($45).
but the info downloaded isnt that helpful or maybe I need to mess with the program and see what it really does.
For detailed dive info, the SmartCom has great software and wireless infrared download capability. then again, the price is lots more too so maybe you get what you pay for.
I also think the Oceanic Data Pro Plus, Aeris AI and Wisdom are made by the same company but have slightly different screens and designs. You cant go wrong with one of those, just pick the style that suits you best.

kroorda
11-15-2007, 16:12
The Sherwood Wisdom is FAR more User Friendly than the Cobra. The Wisdom has two buttons, and the Cobra has 4 buttons. That should tell you something right there. The Wisdom is made by Palegic who also makes all the Oceanic computers. The Wisdom is exceptionally easy to read, use, and operate.

CARDIVER
11-15-2007, 17:05
The Sherwood Wisdom is FAR more User Friendly than the Cobra. The Wisdom has two buttons, and the Cobra has 4 buttons. That should tell you something right there. The Wisdom is made by Palegic who also makes all the Oceanic computers. The Wisdom is exceptionally easy to read, use, and operate.
I own a Cobra.....Can you tell me where that 4th button is???????????

ScubaJW
11-16-2007, 01:21
I have a Wisdom for about 3 years now and I love it. I bought download cable from one of the dive festivals for cheap. You can wait until go to the festival similar to Underwater Sports Festival in Seattle. That way, you can save big bucks.

CC1020
11-16-2007, 09:35

Hmm, I have a Cobra too, and was wondering the same thing....

Dive Rong
11-16-2007, 19:16
Both the Cobra and the Cobra 2 do have three personal adjustment settings i.e. P0, P1, and P2. P0 is the normal setting. P1 and P2 are used to be more conservative, not more liberal. - chris

ian
11-17-2007, 12:44
C Chris is correct. The P1 and P2 settings are to adjust the RGBM to allow for the effects of variables such as cold water, poor physical condition. fatigue, dehydration, previous history of DCI, stress, obesity, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, the Cobra cannot be set to a LESS conservative model. :smiley21:

The Vytec DS can be toggled between RGB100 and RGB50. The former being the normal model. The later being the less conservative model.:smiley32:

When I started, I went through two Wisdoms.

The first one told me that I was at 500 feet plus in 290F water when I was at the deep end of the pool at Lake Elsinroe High School (7 feet). The repair person chasitized me for diving the computer beyond its depth capability! :smiley29:

The second Wisodm succumbed to the dreaded flashing display and never managed to get out of that loop.:smiley11:

Unlike baseball, two strikes is an out for equipment on which my life depends, although even that is farr too liberal in some cases.:smiley21:

I dive a Suunto Vytec DS at the moment, although I will soon have a Cobra on the way. I'm not all that thrilled with the wireless capability. It works well and I haven't had problems. I'm just not that thrilled with having the computer on my wrist instead of close by on a hose.

My two psi...

Ian

scubasavvy
11-21-2007, 18:08
Just got my Wisdom today, and the thing is awesome. I'd highly recommend it..

jtkkym
11-21-2007, 18:24

Hmm, I have a Cobra too, and was wondering the same thing....

I have a Cobra. It has 3 button and I thought Cobra2 has 4 button (I could be wrong.)