PDA

View Full Version : kelp diving

gibson1525
11-07-2007, 14:01
my wife and i have always wanted to take a trip and do some kelp diving. anyone have any advice for someone who knows nothing about it? where/when do go, operators, etc. thanks

CompuDude
11-07-2007, 15:12
Monterey has a lot to offer, but assuming you're looking at PNW or MoCal, and not SoCal, I can't help much.

kenmendes
11-07-2007, 15:17
Washington has lots but nobodody wants to come here because its soooo cold.

Vegas
11-07-2007, 17:08
I've had wonderful experiences diving the Kelp forests around the Channel Islands.

There are Lots of boats to choose from, I guess.....I really enjoyed my trip on "the Sun Diver" (boarded at Midnight, 5 dives, back on land before sundown). The crew was OUTSTANDING, and there was plenty of room to move around.

... as well as the "Sand Dollar" (we did the two day live aboard trip). This boat had more divers on it, but I Loved the dive spots.

The "Hydrodiver" is a wonderful little boat (6 pack) for a day trip, great price, and the Captain is super! We went out to dive the Yukon with him, but he was telling us that he has some Great spots for diving in the kelp, too.

what can I tell you about it? ..... One VERY important Warning....
It is absolutely, utterly, hopelessly ADDICTIVE. Beware!!!

Not too sure what else I can offer....I'm sure some California folks can jump in with alot more useful information. :)

gibson1525
11-09-2007, 09:17
thanks for the info vegas, sounds like a blast!

Easydiver
11-09-2007, 09:29
There's a very nice kelp dive at western Salt Creek park west of Port Angeles. Clallam County Parks - Salt Creek Recreation Area (http://www.clallam.net/CountyParks/html/parks_saltcreek.htm)
Looking at their map it appears the entrance is either Outlook 2 or the next stair case. Your entry point brings you right into the kelp forest. Very nice dive but REALLY check your current tables. It's somewhat protected but you don't want to be there in a real ripper.

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 09:57
Is that site in/near Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point SoCal?

Easydiver
11-09-2007, 11:43
Kyfriedchipper,

This Salt Creek park is in Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. This is NW of Seattle ~ 2+ hour drive and ferry ride. There's some wonderful diving in that area and good vis as it is in direct line with the Pacific.

Easydiver

gibson1525
11-13-2007, 13:45
thanks easydiver, what's the water temp there?

CARDIVER
11-14-2007, 14:18
Right now temps are in the low 50's. Come jan or Feb they dip down into the mid to high 40's. A drysuit is highly recomended.

gibson1525
11-15-2007, 13:46
wow, that's cold. i don't know how you dive that on a regular basis.

CompuDude
11-15-2007, 13:54
wow, that's cold. i don't know how you dive that on a regular basis.

Easy with a drysuit and the right undergarments. Not as easy wet... and the dives tend to be shorter and fewer per day.

I love my drysuit. :smiley20:

navyhmc
11-16-2007, 01:18
If you're SoCal, I dove the Kelp in Lajolla a few times. September temps were 58f. It was a good dive spot stayed shallow for the most time at about 40'

sparky
01-22-2008, 22:35
I've had wonderful experiences diving the Kelp forests around the Channel Islands.

There are Lots of boats to choose from, I guess.....I really enjoyed my trip on "the Sun Diver" (boarded at Midnight, 5 dives, back on land before sundown). The crew was OUTSTANDING, and there was plenty of room to move around.

... as well as the "Sand Dollar" (we did the two day live aboard trip). This boat had more divers on it, but I Loved the dive spots.

I agree.

If you are making an effort to come out to California to dive, you probably want to do more than just one or two days of diving. I have really enjoyed my trips on Truth Aquatics - About Us (http://www.truthaquatics.com) boat the Vision. I've been on 3 of their "Limited Load" trips with the 4th one coming this September.

http://www.brobertson.org/TTVIwebgallery/mediafiles/l15.jpg

Here is my Channel Islands photo Gallery (http://www.brobertson.org/TTVIwebgallery/index.html)

mobeeno
04-17-2008, 23:23
Point Lobos in Monterey area is a really nice place for Kelp diving from shore. In Summer kelp is really abundant.

Sounder
04-18-2008, 18:27
That sure doesn't look like the Puget Sound!!

Smashee
04-18-2008, 18:43
If you fancy a long haul holiday, Tasmania has got some awesome kelp forests.

thecheeseman
06-23-2008, 16:56
Are you still looking for info?

mobeeno
06-29-2008, 10:33
Monterey, kelp type threads arent too active. More divers should try this kind of diving. Some sites give me the effect of flying around a jungle and over hills.:fulle:

easyrider003
06-30-2008, 06:21
Have always wanted to do that also. Maybe I will make a trip to do that sometime

LittleGoat
06-15-2010, 14:52
I've always wanted to dive in kelp forests but my wife is terrified that I'll get tangled and asphyxiate down there. Any valid research that supports the opposite out there?

Bill A
06-25-2010, 08:11
The kelp forest, my favorite place on earth. It's like hiking in the forest with the ability to be anywhere in the tree line that suits you. and a heavy canopy is like a semi black out with occasional openings allowing a room to form. The room will commonly be cylindrical and be opened at the top allowing sun shards to filter down. If you are quiet and can maintain position in the water column you can just wait until your presence is accepted and the marine life returns. Then it really neat to just watch and see how they live. Be careful though as time will fly and you can overstay your welcome, air consumption. As for kelp, it doesn't have a personality and won't come get you but instead it allows you to move through it quietly and enjoy it. The entanglement is caused by your gear and the way you configure it, a reg mounted high is a hook waiting to catch some strand as you pass. Learn to slip your rig off one shoulder to the front and untangle it, takes a second with no difficulty or danger, It's a skill worth practice and one that I used many many times as I really enjoy kelp. When the boat pulls up to a spot I find myself watching the water to see the forest and how it is laying. Just find a hole to jump through so your entry is clean and off you go.
As mentioned the Truth Aquatics boats are great out of Santa Barbara and the Great Escape out of Long Beach goes to San Clemente Island, my favorite place. Enjoy
Bill