PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Geo or Oceanic Veo 250?

superkingkong
11-07-2007, 16:49
hey guys,

i'm looking into these 2 models.. Geo and Veo250.

which one do you prefer? ... and why? ... need your opinions....

Tableleg
11-08-2007, 00:32
Check out this (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/compare_computers.pdf) link to see the side by side comparison.

The things I see that the Geo has that the Veo doesn't:
Set safety time and depth
Gauge mode
Message Box (vs Bar graph)
twice the download memory capacity
Conservitive factor (which simply decreases your NDL, great for people like me who dive at all sorts of altitues because of where I am)
Watch Stuff: time, alt time, countdown timer, stop watch, alarm (which is covenient for me because I use almost every day at the pool when I'm swimming laps)

It's not air integrated, so it doesn't do the pressure reading or real time "How much longer you can last with this much air" calculation. But I like the fact that it counts down your saftey stop for you and it beeps for things like too fast of an assent, you've gone deeper than the range you've set it for, you've been down longer than the time you've set it for, etc. I'm not sure whether the Veo has the same features, but you could always download the manual for the Veo250 (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo250_manuals.html) and see. Or maybe download that manual and the Geo's (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/12-2734-r01.pdf) manual and do a little research into both setups.

Peronally, I've loved my Geo. I already had one of these (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_gauges_maxdepth.html) with the compass when I was computer shoping, so the Veo250 wasn't all that cost-effective for me. And the fact I use the watch features on a regular basis was a definite plus. That plus I can look at my SPG, see what my tank pressure is, and quickly figure out how much time I have left. I don't need a computer to tell me that I need to get my butt to the surface asap because I only have 100psi left. :smiley36:

So really, you should sit down and figure out what you're needing out of your dive computer. If you like the convinence of the air integration and the simplicity of the Veo (it's a two button config instead of the four that the Geo is), then go for it. If you like the extra bells and whistles of the Geo (and like me, perhaps you already have a gauge setup), then go with it.

Really, there's no wrong answer to this question. they're both really good computers.

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 01:30
Thanks for your opinion.

hmmm, it seems to me that Geo and veo 250 has almost the same features, just that the difference is the form factor.

Tableleg
11-08-2007, 10:50
The form factor is was dictates the different features each have, yea. They both use the same alorithm for N2 and O2 loading, so it's not that "One is safer to use" either. I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you end up choosing. :smiley20:

Scubastud16
11-08-2007, 13:16
How does this "conservatism" work on the Geo? Is it a feature that can be turned on/off?

Danny

Oceanicdb
11-08-2007, 14:08
Yes, the conservatism feature can be turned on or off. Basically takes the computer from sea level to Altitude 1 or if at altitude then it will bump the computer to the next altitude level calculations.

Darryl

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 15:44
Since this Veo250 doesn't have this conservatism, doesn this mean that it is not working well in high altitude level?
thanks.

BobbyWombat
11-08-2007, 16:07
Check out this (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/compare_computers.pdf) link to see the side by side comparison.

The things I see that the Geo has that the Veo doesn't:
Set safety time and depth
Gauge mode
Message Box (vs Bar graph)
twice the download memory capacity
Conservitive factor (which simply decreases your NDL, great for people like me who dive at all sorts of altitues because of where I am)
Watch Stuff: time, alt time, countdown timer, stop watch, alarm (which is covenient for me because I use almost every day at the pool when I'm swimming laps)

Since this Veo250 doesn't have this conservatism, doesn this mean that it is not working well in high altitude level?
thanks.

I've got the 250. my input:

The VEO 250 does have have a user set-able dive time and depth alarm.
It has a gauge mode.
You can dial in your conservatism in terms of acceptable PP02 loading. This might be different from the "conservatism factor" on the GEO.
It doesn't have all the watch features, tableleg mentioned.

It does have an adjustment for altitude, so it works fine for altitude dives.

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 17:03
i see. thanks for the info, bobby :)

sigh... i hate decision :smiley2:

georoc01
11-08-2007, 17:25
I use mine in Colorado all the time. I don't have any problem with Altitude dives and my VEO 250. The difference I see is in form factor and the screens. My Veo is in my console.

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 00:21
I am going to be buying a Geo soon for both myself and my wife - like the form factor over the Veo. Go for Geo, dump the Veo.

BobbyWombat
11-09-2007, 09:27
It really boils down to if you prefer a watch style or larger console/wrist mounting DC. Both basically have the same functionality.

I chose the VEO 250 because I wanted a larger screen. It can be mounted in a console, but I choose to keep it on my wrist. I wear a $30 dive watch on the other wrist as a bottom timer backup....and it is my watch when topside.

It really is personal preference. No wrong decision here, I think.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 14:52
yeah, no wrong decision. both have its pros and cons.

*headache* :smiley2:

veo has large surface, simulator, form factor bigger

geo can wear as a watch, smaller surface.

i tried with my friend's geo. when i had a hard time putting on my bp/w... the left shoulder strap got stuck on my wrist because of the bulky veo :smiley36:

BobbyWombat
11-09-2007, 15:05
the left shoulder strap got stuck on my wrist because of the bulky veo :smiley36:

Yep. That has happened to me, too. I now attach my DC to a D-Ring, then put it on after getting the BC on.

The dive simulator function IS nice, but I wouldn't let it sway your decision one way or the other. You use it a few times when you first get the DC, which really helps you get familar with the displays and alarms, but then you probably won't ever use it again.

I also wouldn't let the drag of either influence your decision. The difference has to be really minor.

You should go to your local LDS and try both on side by side. That might help.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 15:58
the left shoulder strap got stuck on my wrist because of the bulky veo :smiley36:

Yep. That has happened to me, too. I now attach my DC to a D-Ring, then put it on after getting the BC on.

The dive simulator function IS nice, but I wouldn't let it sway your decision one way or the other. You use it a few times when you first get the DC, which really helps you get familar with the displays and alarms, but then you probably won't ever use it again.

I also wouldn't let the drag of either influence your decision. The difference has to be really minor.

You should go to your local LDS and try both on side by side. That might help.

thanks for the idea. it really helps :)

well, guess i'll have to make a trip there soon.

btw, i'm now considering a suunto vyper too :smiley2:

BobbyWombat
11-09-2007, 21:41
The Vyper is a good DC as well. I looked at it myself when looking for a DC. Great quality, great reliability.

A couple things you might consider before buying:
Suunto computers are widely recognized to be on the conservative end of computers. This may be what you are looking for....nothing wrong with conservatism....but the more liberal Oceanic DCs will let you dial in your own conservatism, should you desire it.

Also, you don't get any additional features from the Vyper, but it typically costs more than the VEO (not sure about the Geo).

food for thought.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 10:59
The Vyper is a good DC as well. I looked at it myself when looking for a DC. Great quality, great reliability.

A couple things you might consider before buying:
Suunto computers are widely recognized to be on the conservative end of computers. This may be what you are looking for....nothing wrong with conservatism....but the more liberal Oceanic DCs will let you dial in your own conservatism, should you desire it.

Also, you don't get any additional features from the Vyper, but it typically costs more than the VEO (not sure about the Geo).

food for thought.

thanks for the tips. that helps.
anyway, suunto is not available on the web. so, it's a bit harder to get hold of it.

Carlitoboy
11-12-2007, 17:33
For what it's worth, I've done quite a bit of research and I found the Veo 250 to suite my needs perfectly. I posted a little review after my first dive with it HERE (http://forum.scubatoys.com/computers-gauges/4126-oceanic-veo-250-computer-console-3.html#post76307). You can't go wrong if you're just a rec diver. I took the approach of asking myself what I need from a DC and then checking out what met my expectations at a reasonable price. If you're looking at it from the richness of features perpective, then you may be spending extra bucks for no reason. Anyway, from what I read and researched, all the DCs mentioned in this thread would probably to meet your needs.

Good luck!

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 17:49
You can't go wrong if you're just a rec diver.

thanks for the advice and the review :)
BTW, since i'm looking at the tech diving line in near future, does that mean, this veo250 is not suitable for it? just hoping to get a doable DC for both worlds.

BobbyWombat
11-13-2007, 11:12
Nope. The VEO 250 isn't set up for planned decompression stops, so if that is what you are looking for, you will need to go with a higher end DC or do your own planning off of tables.

(My understanding is that it is pretty common in tech to dive a specific plan off a set of deco tables, rather than use a DC. Not my realm of expertise, though)

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 11:56
I was deciding between these 2 as well. I ended up with the VEO250 because of the larger face area. I also liked the 2 buttons for simplicity over the 4 the Geo has. The 2 computers seemed very similar, and I liked the watch functions of the GEO, but it wasn't enough to sway my decision. I think in this case it's really preference. I liked the idea of looking at my wrist and having everything nice and big right there. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with either of these computers.

TX1Chica
11-13-2007, 13:11
So I am looking at these same computers too. You guys are making it very hard to choose. I like the size of the Geo. I have a very small wrist and I think it would not be too bulky. But ,the Veo seems like it might be easier to use and to see underwater. Is the Geo easy to read under water?

Scubastud16
11-14-2007, 19:54
The Veo computer can be worn on the wrist as well. They just aren't as "compact" as the Geo would be.

Danny

ScubaToys Larry
11-14-2007, 20:39
They will all compensate for altitude. If you are at a high altitude, the algorithm needs to change to make it more conservative as there is less pressure on you when you get out of the water. What the conservative mode does, is if you are at sea level, you can basically lie to it and say you are in denver, so then it makes it more conservative. So if you then go dive in denver, it will say you are diving on top of a mountain above denver.

Make sense??

superkingkong
11-15-2007, 02:47
ahahaha :D
cool way of describing it, larry:smiley2:

thanks for the explanation on conservative mode :)

rye_a
01-05-2008, 18:56
I went with the Geo because of size considerations.