PDA

View Full Version : Cobra (first version) A Good Deal?

DeepDiver36
11-07-2007, 17:10
I have a friend of a friend that has a Suunto Cobra (first version) that he will sell me for $375.00. It does not have a lot of dives on it. Maybe 3 or 4 and has been collecting dust for about a year. No scratch or other defects.

No receipt and of course, the Cobra 2 is out. It seems to me to be a good deal for a person that does maybe fifteen dives a year and will eventually do a watch. Always nice to have a backup anyway.

I know the Cobra has had it share of problems but it seems hit and miss besides all the computers from all the manufactures are hit and miss. No warranty on this, would have to pay myself.

What are your thoughts?

thesmoothdome
11-07-2007, 18:24
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Cobra. The major difference between the original and the Cobra 2 is the electronic compass on the 2, which personally, I'm not much of a fan of. One thing you'll read here is that Suunto is conservative by nature, but I've never had an issue with my Cobra cutting short any dive, and most of my multi-day, repetitive diving is done on nitrox, so it doesn't bother me.

Zenagirl
11-08-2007, 08:46
Seems to me you could get a new computer with warranty for $375, unless you really want a Suunto.

Aeris atmos2 is $299; Mares M2 is $199; Aeris XR-1 watch is $299; Aeris XR-1 console is $349; Aeris Manta is $349..........you get the idea.

CC1020
11-08-2007, 09:46
$375 for a barely used Cobra sounds like a very good deal to me, particularly if that is what you have been wanting.

Travelnsj
11-08-2007, 10:03
I have had a Cobra since 2000. Never had a problem with it and replaced the battery once....have about 400 dives on it.....but I would check out other comparable AI computers as displays have changed etc.

webwidejosh
11-08-2007, 11:20
I have a friend of a friend that has a Suunto Cobra (first version) that he will sell me for $375.00. It does not have a lot of dives on it. Maybe 3 or 4 and has been collecting dust for about a year. No scratch or other defects.

No receipt and of course, the Cobra 2 is out. It seems to me to be a good deal for a person that does maybe fifteen dives a year and will eventually do a watch. Always nice to have a backup anyway.

I know the Cobra has had it share of problems but it seems hit and miss besides all the computers from all the manufactures are hit and miss. No warranty on this, would have to pay myself.

What are your thoughts?

I bought mine for $340 on eBay and it had a scratched face ($4 replacement) and hundreds of dives.

ScubaJW
11-08-2007, 12:58
I wouldn't buy it. I think $375 is too high on "used" Cobra. I would rather to buy one with a warrenty. That's just me. It's entirely up to you, though.