PDA

View Full Version : Bad things you've seen divers do

Harshal
07-20-2007, 11:42
Overweight is big thing, one time I had guys with me on boat they had 46 -44 lbs on them, no wonder guy was running out of his air in 15 - 20 min.

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 12:03
Bad things you've seen divers do:
Stop diving...

Joew
07-20-2007, 12:11
I hate when I see a diver try to rip an octopus out of a hole. That ink is a defense mechanism, and takes time to regenerate. That, and the little guys will hold on so tight that you'll rip one of their legs off if you try too hard. And I never seem to catch the diver in time to stop it. It makes me want to go Sea Hunt and start cutting air hoses.

TommyB
07-20-2007, 12:16
Question;

Is that the Diver's fault, or the fault of the instructor for adding so much weight to them that the instructor keeps them on the bottom to work with them.?

I'm guessing that I'm overweight with 14 lbs using a 3/2 bare progressive stretch, AL80's and the Zeagel Brigade with the soft weights.
4lbs in each front pocket, 3 lbs in back trim pockets. (14 lbs weights)

Yes, I know it's up to me to get the trim / weight to suit me. But it would be nice to have "the pro's" spend that extra 5 mins before sending you on the tour with your buddy to at least let you know that "you have to much weight on for a reason".. and you might want to dump some of it..

I'm going to take a wild guess here, that most when leaving their OW class and go out on their own might just think that "this is how much weight we are supposed to have"....because that's what the instructor trained us with"..
And I'm sure that a lot of these new divers are getting their OW cert to hit that vacation spot next week and when done with the vacation it will be another year before they put their gear on again.

just my 2 coppers..

I'd be out at CSSP this weekend working on the weight thing, but due to other issues, I'll have to wait a week or so before getting "wet" again.

Me I have different goals. Wet every weekend, cavern/wreck.
I don't think I'll be getting the cave but who knows.

But as a side note:
I'm really thankful when I'm told that you're finning is horrible, your xyz s ucks, etc.. Makes me want to fix it. I look at it "If I don't know xyz is broken, how am I going to fix it"////

Tommy ////

Harshal
07-20-2007, 13:33
Bad things you've seen divers do: Stop diving...
<DIV>I am not an expert, just enjoy watching them. Gives me reason I am not the worst one...........lolhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley10.gif</DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:44
It also lets you know you won't be the first person out of air on that dive.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:23
I saw one lady in Cozumel, diving in only a swim suit,come back on board the boat COVERED in fire coral rash. She must have been rolling around on the reef.

Harshal
07-20-2007, 15:37
I saw one lady in Cozumel, diving in only a swim suit,come back on board the boat COVERED in fire coral rash. She must have been rolling around on the reef.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oucccchhh that must have hurt ............but its funny.........I am sure it must have stung nice for couple days.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

ertechsg
07-20-2007, 16:21
Panic and bale at 90 ft. Thank god forDM that caught up with her.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 22:45
I did see a guy jump im the water and try to descend a couple of times before realizing he forgot a weight belt. It wasn't bad but pretty funny

fire diver
07-20-2007, 23:37
I seen divers plumet into the bottom, arms and fins flailing, roto-tilling the vis into nothing. I left the area, I couldn't help him/her.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>fd</DIV>

przeor
07-21-2007, 00:17
tucking their wetsuit into their boots!

Dive-aholic
07-21-2007, 01:02
My biggest pet peeve is bad instructors. I don't blame divers for doing bad things. I blame the instructors for not teaching them properly. Sure there are a few divers out there that wouldn't listen to their instructor anyway, but for the most part almost everything everyone has mentioned here goes back to the instruction received.

TommyB
07-21-2007, 01:26

Why? is there some rule. Or you just hate seeing it.

Joew
07-21-2007, 01:29
tucking their wetsuit into their boots!Why? is there some rule. Or you just hate seeing it.

This always reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite's moon boots.

http://images.movieeye.com/store/images/napole&#111;n-dynamite-special-editi&#111;n-dvd-poster.jpg

TommyB
07-21-2007, 01:40
hahaha,,

good one.

Hey, In texas we stick our pant legs in our boots to keep the cow-paddies off the jeans.
Heck, look at some of the old-timers and you'll see they only stick 1 leg in their boots for some reason..

(it's kinda like a gang symbol, means you have / own X).. I'll let ya see if you can find out what it means on your own.. :)

Joew
07-21-2007, 01:47
Hey, In texas we stick our pant legs in our boots to keep the cow-paddies off the jeans.Heck, look at some of the old-timers and you'll see they only stick 1 leg in their boots for some reason..(it's kinda like a gang symbol, means you have / own X).. I'll let ya see if you can find out what it means on your own.. :)

Are they hiding a six shooter in the other boot? smileys/smiley2.gif

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 01:58
I hate when I see a diver try to rip an octopus out of a hole. That ink is a defense mechanism, and takes time to regenerate. That, and the little guys will hold on so tight that you'll rip one of their legs off if you try too hard. And I never seem to catch the diver in time to stop it. It makes me want to go Sea Hunt and start cutting air hoses.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Funny, we werejust talking about combat diving in another thread.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-21-2007, 10:54
haha ^^ hilarious :)

frankc420
07-21-2007, 11:20

HEY! I do that! Pulling my wetsuit over my boots hurts my legs..smileys/smiley29.gif

frankc420
07-21-2007, 11:23
I've seen younger divers (14-15) go from 80-85' to the surface in less than a minute. Once I finished my slow ascent and safety stop, I proceeded to tell their parents and the captain of the boat.

They shrugged it off and did the exact same thing on the next dive.

Joew
07-21-2007, 12:31
I've seen younger divers (14-15) go from 80-85' to the surface in less than a minute. Once I finished my slow ascent and safety stop, I proceeded to tell their parents and the captain of the boat.They shrugged it off and did the exact same thing on the next dive.

If I were the their parent I would chew them out and make them sit out the next dive. Heck, If I were the captain I'd probably do the same thing. Why weren't the parents or a DM diving with them? Kids 10-15 years old can only get a Jr. OW cert (for PADI, at least), which requires a gaurdian or DM to diving with them. PADI says this is because some young divers aren't able to fully comprehend dive physics and physiology. I guess they were right.

fire diver
07-21-2007, 12:44
hahaha,,

good one.

Hey, In texas we stick our pant legs in our boots to keep the cow-paddies off the jeans.
Heck, look at some of the old-timers and you'll see they only stick 1 leg in their boots for some reason..

(it's kinda like a gang symbol, means you have / own X).. I'll let ya see if you can find out what it means on your own.. :)

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I thought Texans tucked thier pants so the sheep couldn't escape. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

WaterRat
07-22-2007, 15:44
This is a good one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFHrX9ID3NY</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:24
Too funny.......http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Venio
07-22-2007, 19:42
This is a good one.
<div></div>
<div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFHrX9ID3NY</div>
<div></div>
<div>Ron</div>

I can't comprehend how did this guy turned pro!?

One more of his astonishing videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23opLm7Qr1M&amp;NR=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23opLm7Qr1M&NR=1)

thesmoothdome
07-23-2007, 22:58
Walking across boat decks wearing fins.

loudgonzo
07-25-2007, 16:10
Puking on the deck of the dive boat. He must not have wanted to contaminate the water...

Foo2
07-25-2007, 17:03
I'm a new diver so I don't have too many experiences yet, but the worst thing I've seen someone do so far is not check their air tank before the dive and find out at 70 ft that they only had 700psi. Fortunately, the DM allowed her to share air with him so she didn't have to call the dive so soon.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

FishFood
07-25-2007, 17:12
Trying to stand on the bottom of ocean/lake/spring. ALways good if you want vis to go to pot quickly.

Ajuva
07-25-2007, 18:07
hahaha,,

good one.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I thought Texans tucked thier pants so the sheep couldn't escape. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I believe your confusing it with why Scottsmen wear kilts.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think you'll find it's why welshmen wear gumboots, the sheeps back legs tuck in so they cant run away.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>They also take them to a cliff edge so they push back.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-25-2007, 19:08
^^ thats nasty ^^

Rascal1933
07-25-2007, 19:12
On the seriousside of bad things divers do...
<DIV>If you get Scuba Diving Magazine they do a feature each issue called: Lessons for Life. &gt; (Dive Accidents,Close calls &amp; How to Avoid them")</DIV>
<DIV>They are all true diver experiences/stories.</DIV>
<DIV>Great reading and learning.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-25-2007, 19:15
This is a good one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>what a clown.. i've seen that like 10 times today... too good.</DIV>

Bill22
07-25-2007, 19:33

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you're diving off the beach you're going to end up with sand in your boots probably. I know this because I made the mistake once of wearing low tops (can't tuck) for a beach entry and that is exactly what happened. More uncomfortable than anything else. I make sure I have high tops now when I'm doing a beach entry and my wetsuit is rolled "over" the top of the boots.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>

Bill22
07-25-2007, 19:58
Not neccesarily bad.... just a little crazy. When I was stationed in Florida I had a friend I was always trying to get to go diving with me. He would always come up with some excuse.... Two weeks before he was supposed to transfer I finally got him to go diving with me. I had two sets of gear by this time. On a Friday night we threw all the gear in the car and drove to Key Largo. We slept in the car in the parking lot of the dive shop (the things we do when we're young and want to save money for diving :-)). It turned out we were the only two people on the boat that day which was cool. We went out to do two tanks in Pennekamp. This was in December and it was a "bad" day for Pennekamp. "Bad" being a relative term, vis was about 50-60. He said that was the best visibility he had ever dived in was only about 10 feet so he was pretty blown away. (he only had a few dives after he got certified, maybe he thought it was always like that) It was also his first time diving in salt water. On the second dive, he began approaching a barracuda, actually stuck his hand out trying to touch it! I pulled my knife out and started banging on my tank with the butt, trying to get his attention. Fortunately the barracuda just swam off. When we got up I asked him if he was crazy? He just gave me a blank look. I then asked him why he was trying to touch a barracuda. He replied, "Was that a barracuda? I thought it was just a pretty fish". I retorted, "Didn't you see all those teeth?!!!!!"smileys/smiley36.gif The following weekend I took him to Blue Springs State Park. We found a fossilized sharks tooth about 70 feet down. Of course the manatees were in also. He transferred the following week. He talked about those dives until he left Florida, lamenting the fact that he had not went diving with me sooner http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif

TAH 73
07-25-2007, 21:23
I've seen someone trying to put on full foot fin's over top of hard sole wetsuit boots.
<DIV></DIV>

3rdEye
07-25-2007, 22:14
This is a good one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>doh!</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-26-2007, 10:57
Here's one I see all the time at our local dive park. The platforms out there are raised off the bottom so you can swim under them. What always irritates me is seeing divers do this when there is an OW class already on the platform. So now you have a new diver who really has no idea what is going on and has bubbles coming up from underneath them. I can easily see this freaking one of them out.

Just recently on our rescue weekend we had our first day of dives canceled so we just stuck around and watched the OW class. At one point there are 3 guys in doubles with a line up to a DSMB just screwing around right off the platform right underneath students. I thought they'd leave but when they didn't I went down pointed to all the students and asked them to leave. Having a major entanglement hazard right next to a platform with students on it is not just inconsiderate, it's just downright dangerous. They did leave when I pointed out all the students and kind of shooed them away.

Black-Gorrilla
07-26-2007, 21:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSFtj3cPl0&mode=related&search=

deepdiver47
08-01-2007, 13:55
How about this one. A dive that is finning quickly to catch up to a turtle so that he can give it his primary. He said later that he was kidding, I thought he was narc'ed and later found out that he was a natural born lunatic.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 14:06
Last year I was on a line at our safety stop in very swift current. A couple of students came up the line and were hanging out right by my wife and I. One of them then proceeded to let go of the line to adjust her BC. I grabbed her arm pretty quick.

Course then somebody in that same group of students after the dive proceeded to dunk her borrowed regulator into the rinse tank without putting the dust cap on... Heard some pretty colorful words from their instructor after that.

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 16:06
ive seen people stand in about 1 foot of water completely unbalance trying to put on fins by themselves with their buddies within arms reach to hold onto.

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 16:07

I wish i had a wetsuit long enough to tuck into my boots:(

Athena2c
08-01-2007, 22:00
Run out of air at 110 feet and rush to the surface. I was on the boat and I swear he popped up like a cork!
He got on the boat convinced he had a leak, and only later admitted he had never been to that depth and had no idea how fast he would run out of air (ie no leak).

But I think the worst part of the story is that the captain made him sit out the next dive, but let him dive SOLO the 3rd dive...:dunno:

thor
08-01-2007, 23:10
Vomiting onto the boat instead of over the railing. Started a whole chain reaction. Made for a very unpleasant SI.

Krakenn
08-02-2007, 00:12
Guided Penetration Dive - Divers in a chain going through total black out sitation and then up a deck on a gangway inside the boat with alot of cargo holds. You stop you loose your depth you sink to a different deck - Your dead!

This dude was second last on the chain panicked entering the black out and went out back out but didnt tell anybody and the last diver missed him in now churned up conditions.

We get out on the deck - oops we are short one, everyone started shinning lights down throug the doorway- we are at 30m air is getting chewed up quickly.

The Guide swings over the edge and goes back through only to come out through the same exit with noone. - Im going ono ono ono.

We look up the Dik is sitting on the mast above us in 15 meters.

Bejesus didnt he need two extra pieces of his anatomy when we all surfaced!

never leave your wingman!

Krakenn

torrey
08-02-2007, 11:03
The thing that irritates me the most is group situations when a DM will point out something (usually in a hole) and everybody crowds into a tight ball trying to get a look. This usually results in the ones with poor bouyancy bowling through people, and the ones who are unaware of their surroundings kicking masks off. My buddy and I have gotten to where we just stay at the back of the line so we can get a view after the others have swam away. I like to take pictures, so to get a decent shot you either have to be first or last...preferably last.

dallasdivergirl
08-02-2007, 16:14
On Roatan in the marine park, Foghorn Leghorn trying catch lobsters and when I pointed out there was no hunting, he called me a "tree hugger".

The next trip to Roatan, three brothers were diving and just jumped in before the briefing started. I am always last in the water. I saw one of the rocket back to the surface from 20 feet and then drop back down so hard that he landed on his butt on the bottom. Needless to say he ran out of air really fast.

tx.lakerat
08-02-2007, 17:23
crazy as this sounds during CONFINED open water sessions we had a guy start throwing up on the side of the pool WHILE in the pool!

boat
08-04-2007, 19:50
and the ones who are unaware of their surroundings kicking masks off.

Worst thing I've ever seen is supposedly experienced divers being so unaware of their surroundings that they put themselves in a position to be kicked in the face.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 20:54
The thing that irritates me the most is group situations when a DM will point out something (usually in a hole) and everybody crowds into a tight ball trying to get a look. This usually results in the ones with poor bouyancy bowling through people, and the ones who are unaware of their surroundings kicking masks off. My buddy and I have gotten to where we just stay at the back of the line so we can get a view after the others have swam away. I like to take pictures, so to get a decent shot you either have to be first or last...preferably last.

See it time and again on nightdives. People tend to stay a little closer together to begin with. I know better, but last night I could not avoid it. At one point I got swallowed up in a bait ball of divers who tangled in the float line because somebody shined a light on a fish. Hello, we are in the Atlantic Ocean. Fish live here. I did my best Potato Bug imitation untill the mass untangled itself and I was regurgitated into the open.
Thereafter with this crowd I hovered way outside if a turtle, squid or eel was lit up.
When I saw the first nurse shark of the night, I knew what would follow. So I helicoptered planning to spin 180 degrees in order to swim away from the anticipated cluster. I got just bout around when a couple who obviousely planned on swimming through me, collided with me instead and I took one of their 1st stages in the top of my head.
I know, I know. It is a night dive, but I was lit up pretty well.

mike_s
08-04-2007, 21:30
I think we need a new thread called "Bad things you've seen boat Captains do..."

JahJahwarrior
08-04-2007, 21:55
That freediver video was pretty freaking hilarious, especially because I wasn't expecting it. I've watched it four times already. :)

Dive buddy once carved his name on a log in a spring we dive sometimes.....before the dive he toldme he was going to do it, because on a dive with another friend of his a few weeks before, his friend had done it. I told him that it was illegal and morally wrong, but 3/4 through the dive I turn around to see him digging away with his knife.....what could I do? I thought about complaining to the park ranger, but I staid away--we both had lights with us and the park also says no lights allowed :) So I just wasn't very happy with him. I don't think he'll do it again though....so other than feeling bad I don't know of anything I can do.

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 22:34

Worst thing I've ever seen is supposedly experienced divers being so unaware of their surroundings that they put themselves in a position to be kicked in the face.
You make a valid point. The driver in the rear has the last clear chance and is usually in the wrong in a rear ender.
However, automobiles only travel in 2 dimensions.
If you are in a nice horizontal position and a verticle diver comes from above like he is peddling a unicycle....

torrey
08-04-2007, 23:34

You make a valid point. The driver in the rear has the last clear chance and is usually in the wrong in a rear ender.
If you are in a nice horizontal position and a verticle diver comes from above like he is peddling a unicycle....

This is true, but what I usually see is a diver who starts out below another and then starts rising right into the guy above him when leaving a crowd. Or one who does a 180 when they're through looking and just starts kicking right into the faces they were just a part of a moment before (I've only seen that one a couple of times).

If a group starts to crowd me, I've taken the position of looking all around to see where everybody is, and then taking a lungful of air to float above if it's open above me, or use my hands instead of my fins to head any other direction necessary.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 08:57

Or one who does a 180 when they're through looking and just starts kicking right into the faces they were just a part of a moment before (I've only seen that one a couple of times).

I've actually got that on video. My friend who made the video dubbed it with Fleetwood Mac's "Hypnotized". Really kind of funny to watch now.

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 10:49
I watched 2 divers horse playing at the stern of the boat. They both fell. One went into the water. The other hit the platform with his coccyx, fracturing it. (He fractured his coccyx, not the platform.) I am told a fractured coccyx is very painful.

boat
08-05-2007, 14:59

Yeah, I'm just saying that there's always two sides to a story - but in these forums the "kicker" usually gets blamed, not the "kickee". Just something to think about over a couple of post dive beers anyway.

cutter77
08-05-2007, 19:41
Divers sans sealegs grabbing every other first stage for stability as they stagger to the bow/stern. Saw one pull an unbungied tank off the rack onto the floor, trash the 1st stage and leave it without comment or apology to the hapless owner.

crosseyed95
08-05-2007, 20:23
Divers who are "Super Divers" and seem to push themselves beyond their limits. This is the Diver who thinks nobody knows diving like them. The Diver who can handle any situation because it's them doing it. The Diver who knows more than the DM giving the briefing.

As a DM, these are the divers who give me nightmares. We recently had a "Super Diver" penetrate a boat by himself. He left his partner hanging at the opening wondering what to do. Long story but he finally found his way out another opening, came around and found his partner. This same opening is where several divers have entered alive and came out dead.

Just my 2 cents worth on this subject.

Bigg_Budd
08-07-2007, 09:43
Dove with a dude that, once he was ready to ascend, just mashed down on his inflator. He shot to the friggin ' surface like a patriot missle.

creggur
08-07-2007, 10:19
I'm pretty new so I hate to be critical as I'm sure I'll do plenty of stupid things, but..

In my wife's and my second OW dives by ourselves we were at Blue Grotto, in Williston... It was our first time so we had to watch the orientation video.. There were two DIR types that were watching the video with us that had obviously been there before as they were discussing their dive plan with some familiarity to the place...Anyway they mention not finning near the bottom because of silt maybe 10-12 time in the 8 minute video..

So my wife and I are hovering just under the overhead area practicing bouyancy control when these guys hit the water...What do they do? Head straight down the bowl of the spring with their paddle-style fins creating what looked like an explosion of silt that trailed them the entire way down.....:smiley7:
Wife and I moved out of the overhead area, but Vis still went to crap.....You'd think if two newbies could avoid a silt-out, these guys with the BP/W setup and thousand dollar cave lights could....:smiley21:Oh well..

DivingsInMyBlood
08-07-2007, 19:37
my buddy in my ow class who wears a mask he had when he was a kid, he gets racoon eyes after every dive.

torrey
08-07-2007, 21:38
I watched 2 divers horse playing at the stern of the boat. They both fell. One went into the water. The other hit the platform with his coccyx, fracturing it. (He fractured his coccyx, not the platform.) I am told a fractured coccyx is very painful.

Just ask Napoleon Dynamite's grandmother ;)

Zenagirl
08-08-2007, 08:28
Worst thing recently was a group of NJ divers who spent hours telling everyone how experienced they are, how north Atlantic divers are the best, then when in the water WALKING on the reef in their Force Fins and LAYING on the reef to get their pictures. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Splitlip
08-08-2007, 11:19
Worst thing recently was a group of NJ divers who spent hours telling everyone how experienced they are, how north Atlantic divers are the best, then when in the water WALKING on the reef in their Force Fins and LAYING on the reef to get their pictures. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, but what did you do about it? Did you let them know that is a no,no?

quarrydiver
08-12-2007, 18:48
a supposed dive instructor on a dive trip taking a newly certified diver to 160 feet.

Black-Gorrilla
08-12-2007, 19:24
i wanted to stab my buddy this weekend.. (rent-a-buddy) he was all over the reef, and when i told him and pointed him to get off he acted like he wasnt doing anything wrong.
today, there was a diver that surfaced with his class, found his friend (was a snorkeler) and took him down on his octo...
the instructor chewed him out.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-12-2007, 19:27
i wanted to stab my buddy this weekend.. (rent-a-buddy) he was all over the reef, and when i told him and pointed him to get off he acted like he wasnt doing anything wrong.
today, there was a diver that surfaced with his class, found his friend (was a snorkeler) and took him down on his octo...
the instructor chewed him out.

thats insane.

underwasser bolt
08-12-2007, 19:32
Dove with a dude that, once he was ready to ascend, just mashed down on his inflator. He shot to the friggin ' surface like a patriot missle.

I saw the majority of an OW class do this about 2 weeks ago at CSSP. My son was one of them... I realized then I was paying for a certification and I would have to train him myself.

creggur
08-12-2007, 21:00

I saw the majority of an OW class do this about 2 weeks ago at CSSP. My son was one of them... I realized then I was paying for a certification and I would have to train him myself.

I'm just out of OW training and I was tought get neutral, and SLOWLY fin your way to the surface, releasing air as you get more bouyant...It's worked so far, I really didn't realize how slow, slow was, until my computer started beeping at me for ascending too fast though...Slow really feels slow!!!

quarrydiver
08-12-2007, 21:09
I've also seen young divers doing deco dives on a liveaboard. Kind of stupid without training but really stupid that far from help.

Axewizard
08-13-2007, 08:14
I was in Roatan doing the dolphin thing and we had a lady do EVERYTHING wrong. First, she hauled gluteus maximus to the bottom w/o her buddy or the DM, then she was touching rocks, flailing about underwater, trying to grab the dolphins instead of allowing them to come to her, blah blah blah. The final kicker was when it was time for our safety stop...she was nowhere to be found...hmmm. Actually, she was on the boat waiting for us. I guess the laws of physiology don't apply in her case!

Oh well...I hope we don't read about her in "Lessons for Life".

freediver
08-13-2007, 10:06
I was in a dive store once and a diver came in and purchased a full set of gear with a very high-interest credit card! I couldn't believe it. Took me weeks to get over it! :smiley36:

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 10:48
We went out to do two tanks in Pennekamp.
My wife and I just did Pennekamp in June. She's certified but doesn't dive very often so we usually go over everything one more time before a dive. Once the first dive is out of the way, she is usually more relaxed and trusts her gear and bouyancy, etc.

Second dive, we are doing a light drift dive. I usually like to keep her ahead of me but she wanted me to go first between two coral shelves. Anyway, the viz wasn't so good [it was after all that rain in early June?] and I turn and she is no where to be seen. Turns out, she decided to stop part way and decend to look at a fish! I could not find her anywhere so I did my quick circle [a little panicky because I'm not sure she will remember to surface if she doesn't see me!] and ascend. She FINALLY surfaces what seems like an eternity later [probably a good 5 or 6 minutes].

As much as I wanted to scold her for ditching me like that - I was too happy to see her and to see that she remembered to surface. Of course, this is one of the things I reminded her of on our first dive but how do you know what is going to sink in? It's also a lot scarier when it's someone you love!

It's worth saying again - NEVER leave your wing man!

porsche060
08-13-2007, 10:51

Did the instructor say something afterwards?

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 05:19
Its a shame but some instructors are just not being trained correctly before beign let loose to train.

Kraks

Charlotte Smith
08-22-2007, 05:56
I saw one of my friends dive with a badly leaking air tank and even though we had caught it before going down.....he continued....I worried about him the entire time and tried to stay extra close with my spare air....nerve racking!

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 20:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcI-LrxcqPM

Ramgib
09-03-2007, 23:13
A man and his son, age 14, were diving off our boat. The man would stand on the coral heads with arms crossed, watching his son. His son would swim as fast as he could toward large schools of fish, waving his arms till the fish scattered. The kid would dart here and there doing this. Looked like a small kid trying to chase flock of birds on ground. When I mentioned this to the DM, the DM had a talk with the father, who said, "I'm an certified instructor and I see nothing wrong." then proceded to get ready for dive two. The DM just looked at me and shrugged.

divechaplain-sara
09-04-2007, 00:39
On a dive in Hawaii, there was a couple from somewhere in Eastern Europe. They let gauges drag all over the reef, swam into half the pictures that I was trying to take and the husband blocked the path of any other diver so that his wife could see things first. They were not good ambassadors for that part of the world.

greyzen
09-04-2007, 01:15
The boayancy thing drives me crazy, but also the sheer lack of 'give a damn' from other divers.

Lake Travis is very busy piece of water, plenty of OW/AOW classes going on and lots of people out there enjoying the downtime.
Well, forget the fact that my OW class had two people who not only didn't know what the word 'bouyancy' was, but could care less if I happen to be occupying a piece of earth and would just let their bodies push me out of the way (My wife tells me they were just too task-focused to notice me).

Some of the divers who where roaming around in the lake should really be stabbed and/or have their BCD's inflated for them. People do not move or even attempt to assist you in getting out of the way it seems in Travis... I don't know what it is but I had like 6 people descend onto my head... I was kicked in the face by a diver who looked right at me before turning... and had a group of people come to our platform and basically shuffle me and my class out of their way.

Silly us, for thinking "we were here first" counted.

AggieDad
09-04-2007, 02:13
The boayancy thing drives me crazy, but also the sheer lack of 'give a damn' from other divers.

Lake Travis is very busy piece of water, plenty of OW/AOW classes going on and lots of people out there enjoying the downtime.
Well, forget the fact that my OW class had two people who not only didn't know what the word 'bouyancy' was, but could care less if I happen to be occupying a piece of earth and would just let their bodies push me out of the way (My wife tells me they were just too task-focused to notice me).

Some of the divers who where roaming around in the lake should really be stabbed and/or have their BCD's inflated for them. People do not move or even attempt to assist you in getting out of the way it seems in Travis... I don't know what it is but I had like 6 people descend onto my head... I was kicked in the face by a diver who looked right at me before turning... and had a group of people come to our platform and basically shuffle me and my class out of their way.

Silly us, for thinking "we were here first" counted.

I am a BRAND NEW Divemaster in Lake Travis and I always descend first on the stairs or the line to prevent that or the instructor is in front/below them and I am behind. Since I have just started herding cats, oops, DM'ing I am very watchful of my charges and also of not getting turned around myself. Well I had my first lost student this last weekend. You want your air consumption to go up! Try that. I discussed openly in front of the instructor, parents and my two young divers the importance of sticking with your buddy. I have never seen anyone shoot away so fast. :smiley11: Luckily I was on a few fin kicks away from the platform so I grabbed my remaining student and handed him back to the instructor and went a chasing. If anyone heard a rattler going off constantly Sunday it was ME! I discussed descending on the platform with other people there, meeting a group underwater etc. so that I wouldn't have one of mine join them. I HOPE they listened. All the instructors that I am familiar with do discuss this issue. Our policy is to have the students hang on the outside of the platform rails if at all possible if another class is already there...and I agree if all the other classes had the same etiquette it would make it much nicer.

In CoCoView Resort last June there was a young man who was there with his father for two weeks. It was sad because it was the father's high school graduation gift to his son before he went off to join the Navy. All the kid did from sunup until two in the morning was play some stupid computer game. When they did finally get him in the water, it took everyone else about two seconds to realize to stay far away from him. He flailed his arms legs was up and down and in everyone's way. I felt so sorry for the Dad. I wasn't with them but they did the shark dive and the DM's there kept warning this kid to keep his arms still until finally one of them went to him and held his hands against the coral reef just to keep them from getting bitten. I am sure that if anyone had spoken to the father about this kid he would have defended him somewhat but again...not much. He was disgusted. The saddest looking man I have ever seen when he had a week left to go and the kids computer broke down.

ScubaJenn81
09-04-2007, 06:29
People that are going to on a boat dive (or shore for that matter) and sit in the sun without a hat, water, food, or the like and then complain the whole trip on how sick they feel. Hey, it is your own fault, sorry.

diverdad
09-04-2007, 19:13
the worst thing that i had experienced was an experienced driver pig out with eggs and bacon before a boat dive in cozumel. needless to say he was chumming:smiley5: the waters before we were half way there.

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 21:37
Bad things you've seen divers do:
Stop diving...
That is bad, I have had a few buddies do that.
Also seen a divers buddy try to catch a turtle so that his buddy can take a picture of it. Not good.

johnyringo
04-13-2008, 22:44

Exactly the same thing...but I couldn't catch him...

terrillja
04-13-2008, 23:08
Saw a diver with everything Halcyon and all DIR rigged attach a spare air. It was painful yet funny at the same time.

Penguino
04-14-2008, 01:34

Thats not the way to do it? But its soo much quicker that way...:smiley36:

terrillja
04-14-2008, 01:44

Thats not the way to do it? But its soo much quicker that way...:smiley36:
+2 if you make it into the boat

Flatliner
04-14-2008, 02:02
Post on discussion boards at 2:00 in the friggin morning!

Smashee
04-14-2008, 02:33
I've seen a class of OW divers on Open Water Dive 1 hit the bottom and all swim off in different directions. It looked a bit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16iNk1hLJt4). (First 40 seconds).
Felt sorry for the Instructor and DM.

Duckydiver
04-14-2008, 20:42
I had a buddy put on his weight belt over his hanging octo. the only way to get at it would have been to take off his weihgt belt,

Sounder
04-15-2008, 11:16
I've seen divers do too many stupid things to post them all. One of my favorite, however, is PUI - Posting Under the Influence! Those are always rather entertaining.

Largo
04-15-2008, 12:33
I got an insta-buddy, in Florida who was looking for spiny lobsters. He poked a Nurse Shark with his lobster poker (Sorry, I don't know the proper lobstering terminology). It's probably a good idea not to poke things into holes in reefs.

ChrisC
04-15-2008, 12:58
I just read the lessons for life article in the new Scuba Diving issue. I have only ben diving for just over 1 year, and do not have any cave or wreck penetration training or experience, but it struck me as a monumentally bad idea to allow a buddy with an ear problem to abort the dive and surface on his own. The article mentioned that the victim should have signaled to the other 2 divers to end the dive. I would think that if, for whatever reason, 1 diver needs to end the dive, then the dive is done for the whole team, even though there were 3 divers in this buddy team. In this particular instance, the consequences were fatal. As divers progress in experience and training, is it a commonly accepted practice for a 3 man team to allow one diver to abort on his/her own and continue the dive?

finflippers
04-15-2008, 13:43
As divers progress in experience and training, is it a commonly accepted practice for a 3 man team to allow one diver to abort on his/her own and continue the dive?

It depends on the divers, the type of diving they do and how well they know each others skills.

I do alot of solo diving and if for some reason (non emergency) I needed to end my dive before my buddies. I would signal them the reason for my surfacing and see if they wanted to continue their dive without me. But me surfacing alone is not nothing I haven't done many times when I elected to go solo diving.

DollFin
04-15-2008, 18:49

Hey, I do some of my best work at 2AM!! :)

Splitlip
04-15-2008, 19:01
He poked a Nurse Shark with his lobster poker (Sorry, I don't know the proper lobstering terminology).

Tickle stick. :)

UCFKnightDiver
04-15-2008, 20:29
I was at Troy Springs in the High Springs area in Florida, and was down there as a three man team, two guys come down (obviously just certified) and they were both horribly overweighted, and finning the bottom to stay off of it when I say finning I mean omg!!!!! it was bad they were finning almost as hard as they could it seemed like to me, destroyed the vis very very quickly at this point we aborted the dive and headed towards Ginnie Springs.

RikRaeder
04-16-2008, 06:53
How about clog up the whole dive deck with your friends and strewn equipment, then clip MY girlfriend in the head with his tank as he lurched around with his buddies so no one else could kit up? Then NOT apologize.

Bad enough?

EuphoriaII
04-16-2008, 10:38
I've seen a diver do a rollback on a six pack boat only to discover they hadn't turned their air on. Fortunately their BC still had enough air from a prior dive so they were bouyant and thier buddy got the air on.
Did he not at least take a breath before the rollback??

MicahEW
04-21-2008, 15:13
I have seen ppl try to get up for the dive fully geared whilt the bungie rope was still attached.

UCFKnightDiver
04-21-2008, 15:25
I have seen ppl try to get up for the dive fully geared whilt the bungie rope was still attached.

I have done this I dont think its too uncommon I hope :D

Sounder
04-21-2008, 16:01
Trying to stand on the bottom of ocean/lake/spring. ALways good if you want vis to go to pot quickly.

I've got a picture of a diver standing on the bottom taking pictures of his friends... when I get home I'll post it.

Sounder
04-21-2008, 16:01

Yup - been there too. Everyone usually gets a good laugh, especially me.

mobeeno
04-21-2008, 22:40
While surface swimming, I saw someone trying to free himself from kelp tangling around his first stage cut his hose instead of kelp.

mike_s
04-22-2008, 08:21

it's pretty common yes... but have you ever seen anyone put their first stage on and forget to remove the bungy before putting on the first stage? and then try to stand up? fixing it requires removing the first stage to remove the bungie.

I did see a guy jump im the water and try to descend a couple of times before realizing he forgot a weight belt. It wasn't bad but pretty funny

I had to abort a dive one time because of an 'insta-buddy' on a boat who forgot his weight belt. jeez..

Diver Dennis
04-27-2008, 01:02
I just read the lessons for life article in the new Scuba Diving issue. I have only ben diving for just over 1 year, and do not have any cave or wreck penetration training or experience, but it struck me as a monumentally bad idea to allow a buddy with an ear problem to abort the dive and surface on his own. The article mentioned that the victim should have signaled to the other 2 divers to end the dive. I would think that if, for whatever reason, 1 diver needs to end the dive, then the dive is done for the whole team, even though there were 3 divers in this buddy team. In this particular instance, the consequences were fatal. As divers progress in experience and training, is it a commonly accepted practice for a 3 man team to allow one diver to abort on his/her own and continue the dive?

It depends on depth, type of dive and surface conditions but the main thing is to make sure he gets to the surface. I don't think there is any problem with it. I do boat dives all the time here in the Philippines, we rarely if ever do shore dives, so the boatmen are always on the lookout. I do believe everyone should be carrying an SMB and know how to use it.

RibbitPenguin
04-27-2008, 10:02
Does doing stupid stuff while still in class count?
One of my classmates (there was 5 people in my class) was practicing switching from regulator to snorkel and back again. He was completely underwater (in the pool) and switched to his snorkel and tried to breathe from it.

obrules15
04-27-2008, 12:44
This is a good one.
<div></div>
<div>YouTube - Jeff Cornish - Top Technical Diver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFHrX9ID3NY)</div>
<div></div>
<div>Ron</div>

YouTube - Jeff Cornish Underwater Scootering Master Class (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23opLm7Qr1M&amp;NR=1)

Please tell me this is a joke!!!!

obrules15
04-27-2008, 12:59

Yeah, I'm just saying that there's always two sides to a story - but in these forums the "kicker" usually gets blamed, not the "kickee". Just something to think about over a couple of post dive beers anyway.

The thing that bugs me the most about getting kicked in the face is that I feel like if you kick and make contact you should STOP kicking. The more experienced divers tend to stop and check and get out of the situation whereas less experienced divers KEEP FLAILING. I am all for two sides to every story but I think blaming the kickee is a bit much. That goes for me as well. I am embarrassed to say that I have kicked someone in the face before and I have no one to blame but myself. The better diver I become the less it happens but it is still my responsibility to know where MY FINS are.

obrules15
04-27-2008, 13:11

Hey, some of us work at two in the morning and in between emergencies and all heck breaking loose need a little computer down time.

ratown
04-27-2008, 13:25
I have seen someone smack a puffer fish with a stick until it blew up.....what a jackass.

Splitlip
04-27-2008, 14:19
This is a good one.
<div></div>
<div>YouTube - Jeff Cornish - Top Technical Diver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFHrX9ID3NY)</div>
<div></div>
<div>Ron</div>

YouTube - Jeff Cornish Underwater Scootering Master Class (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23opLm7Qr1M&amp;NR=1)

Please tell me this is a joke!!!!

:smilie39: It sure is funny! Can't believe I never saw those vids before!

imasinker
04-27-2008, 20:08
17 years ago during our pool session, the week before we learned the giant stride water entry. We were all suited up and in the water as we always did,when we heard this splash followed by a scream. here a guy did the giant stride into the pool at the shallow end. he ended up spraining his ankle and tearing his knee ligamend.

" Sometimes there just isin't enough rocks! "

Splitlip
04-27-2008, 21:07
a guy did the giant stride into the pool at the shallow end. he ended up spraining his ankle and tearing his knee ligamend.

I hate it when that happens.

wolfen42
04-29-2008, 13:00
Let themselves get sucked into a BCD vs BP/W discussion... sigh...

Penguino
04-29-2008, 13:32
Let themselves get sucked into a BCD vs BP/W discussion... sigh...

Agreed...

tc_rain
04-29-2008, 17:14
I would say forget they are in a drysuit and pee in it thinking it was a wetsuit.

Osprey
04-29-2008, 20:54
Oh snaps!

Beaucoupfishies
04-29-2008, 21:32
I would say forget they are in a drysuit and pee in it thinking it was a wetsuit.

Forget the spaghetti incident, now we have the dry suit incident.

Zyxistal
04-29-2008, 23:05
Laughing at a diver with physical limitations (though not apparent) who is having trouble gearing up.

I'll stop there before I head into a rant.

ratown
04-29-2008, 23:11
A kid who was getting his cert was trying to yank a regulator off of a girls tank. It just needed to be shaken a little, but he was prying as hard as he could. He called for the DM and said there was something wrong with her equipment so the DM shook it a little and it unscrewed right off. Haha that was funny. I suggest to any new diver, like myself, to go to a DM when you are having problems because there will probably always be new people thinking they know everything.

Penguino
04-29-2008, 23:36

Have you seen the thread on here where this actually happened? I'll try to find the link... The guy bravely posted pictures.

Zyxistal
04-30-2008, 01:18

Have you seen the thread on here where this actually happened? I'll try to find the link... The guy bravely posted pictures.

I believe they were actually making a joke about that thread. But here's the link just in case.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/surface-interval/12425-forgot-i-not-wetsuit.html

RikRaeder
04-30-2008, 03:19
I like it when they puke over the windward rail of the boat (as long as I'm forward of them).

elijahb
05-02-2008, 20:07
While surface swimming, I saw someone trying to free himself from kelp tangling around his first stage cut his hose instead of kelp.HaHa:smilie39::smilie39:
One of the dive cons in training forgot her weight belt on the boat so when she went to descended she couldn't. The rest of us went down and did a grid search for 20 mins before she came down. She came down with a different weight belt though. I froze on that dive cause of the 20 minute "float".

Woody240
05-03-2008, 13:52
Surface from a deep dive like Shamue

Forget to hook up their inflator hose to their dry suit, on a deep dive (120')

Suck their tank dry

Woody240
05-03-2008, 13:53
Surface from a deep dive like Shamue

Suck their tank dry

CPTOZZY
05-03-2008, 16:43
I'm a new diver so I don't have too many experiences yet, but the worst thing I've seen someone do so far is not check their air tank before the dive and find out at 70 ft that they only had 700psi. Fortunately, the DM allowed her to share air with him so she didn't have to call the dive so soon.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

Why didn't the DM turn the air on instead of sharing??

CPTOZZY
05-03-2008, 16:46

It's Anti-Streamlined. Water will fill your boots instead of flow over your legs and feet

Penguino
05-04-2008, 23:06

It's Anti-Streamlined. Water will fill your boots instead of flow over your legs and feet

If that's the worst thing you see a diver do, I'd consider myself lucky

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 08:39

If that's the worst thing you see a diver do, I'd consider myself lucky

Watching the yellow water drain out of their boots when they take them off might be another... negative side effect... :smiley36:

DollFin
05-05-2008, 13:48
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

I think Foo2 was saying that the tank WAS on, but only had 700 PSI

CPTOZZY
05-05-2008, 15:29
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

I think Foo2 was saying that the tank WAS on, but only had 700 PSI

My Alzheimers is showing:help:

bubbletrubble
05-05-2008, 16:01
I can still remember the first time I ever saw a seahorse in the wild. It was perched quite beautifully on a piece of coral. One of the divers in our party started motioning with his finger...closer and closer to the creature. My girlfriend/dive buddy saw this jack*** and grabbed his arm before he could touch it. She pulled his hand back...only to watch his finger shoot forward in the next instant and poke the poor seahorse. Thankfully the critter didn't budge and looked OK after the "assault."

On our way out of the water, my gf called out the diver for molesting the seahorse. I've never heard her yell so loudly at someone...nevermind that we had only met this particular diver a couple days before -- he was a last-minute addition to our dive group (friend of a friend). To top it all off, the diver had the gall to accuse my gf of pushing his hand into the seahorse! What's with divers who feel the need to touch everything they see?

Splitlip
05-05-2008, 16:19
It;s like a "wet paint" sign I guess. Some just have to touch it to see if it really is.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-06-2008, 20:18
I saw a guy descending with the tag line wrapped around his tank valve. The captain asked if I would go 'rescue' him. After I untangled him, he started descending again with the tag line in hand.

Splitlip
05-06-2008, 20:21
nervous

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-06-2008, 20:49

Been there. Done that. Realized it at 15 ft, though.

Eurodiver
05-12-2008, 04:02

I did that on my "Discovery Dive". I was only maybe 9-12 meters I think.
They are a great concept but some Dive places don't tell you how to clear your mask at least so you can enjoy your half hour to see if you are going to like it. I have this thing about water touching my nose. I can't stand it. So when my mask started getting water in it and it hit the tip of my nose I freaked. I was breathing just fine. The DM that was with me said I was breathing perfect, not too fast, not holding my breath or anythning and did great until the nose water thing.
My husband when he found out {he was with a different dude}, he thought oh great she'll never try it again.
But I jumped right into the class a few weeks later and got certified.
I can now handle the water on the nose thing. I even did AWESOME taking my mask off and swam 4 meters.

Geoff_T
05-12-2008, 06:51
I've seen younger divers (14-15) go from 80-85' to the surface in less than a minute. Once I finished my slow ascent and safety stop, I proceeded to tell their parents and the captain of the boat.They shrugged it off and did the exact same thing on the next dive.

If I were the their parent I would chew them out and make them sit out the next dive. Heck, If I were the captain I'd probably do the same thing. Why weren't the parents or a DM diving with them? Kids 10-15 years old can only get a Jr. OW cert (for PADI, at least), which requires a gaurdian or DM to diving with them. PADI says this is because some young divers aren't able to fully comprehend dive physics and physiology. I guess they were right.

Better question why were they that deep unless things have changed that much since I was certafied at 17. Jr divers also have a depth limit of somthing like 35 ft. This is for a good reason as noted above many of them have no concept of death.

DiveSooner
05-12-2008, 09:37

Ditto

Better question why were they that deep unless things have changed that much since I was certafied at 17. Jr divers also have a depth limit of somthing like 35 ft. This is for a good reason as noted above many of them have no concept of death.

ratown
05-12-2008, 09:47
Maybe they were older.

jj1987
05-12-2008, 11:02

I had a NACD cavern card via a board member voucher at 12 which allowed me a max depth of 100ft. Diving exists outside of padi.

DiverMAN
05-12-2008, 11:09

I had a NACD cavern card via a board member voucher at 12 which allowed me a max depth of 100ft. Diving exists outside of padi.
Diving outside of PADI?! Blasphemy...

Geoff_T
05-12-2008, 13:47

by all means but I have always been under the impression prehaps mistakenly that padi was the orginasition leading the push to certify younger and younger.

huvrr
05-13-2008, 10:18
I have always liked to watch the descent while still on snorkel manuever.

MConnelly2
05-22-2008, 05:37
I have always liked to watch the descent while still on snorkel manuever.

Or starting the descent with the mask safely onboard the boat....

timc
05-23-2008, 09:49
Went diving with a new group, I only knew my buddy and the DM. During dive I noticed some of the others didn't seem to be strictly following the buddy system. One of the divers got lost after he got separated from the group after his second uncontrolled ascent due to not dumping air from his BC when he went shallower while in current and low visibility. We found him after a few minutes and I decided I would be his buddy too until we returned to the beach.

longtailbda
05-23-2008, 17:20
In the N.E. where the waters c-c-cold extra weight is considered insulation.:smiley36:

longtailbda
05-23-2008, 17:29
Any of you have the borrowing guy. Forgot his lunch, water, flashlight, bugbag ect. "can I have a little or borrow something" on every dive.