PDA

View Full Version : how deep then do we need to do safety stop?

superkingkong
11-07-2007, 20:50
hi guys...

how deep then do we need to do our safety stop at 5m/15ft?
if we go down to 10ft or 15ft or even 20ft... do we need safety stop?

appreciate your input, thanks.

texdiveguy
11-07-2007, 21:02
hi guys...

You state you are a certified scuba diver....hmmmmmmm.... this is covered in basic O/W classes....least it was in mine years back.

Typically a 'Safety Stop' in NDL recreational diving is conducted at around 15ft.,,,,if you have only been down to 10ft....I guess dropping to 15ft. to do a stop would be silly-right.....and at the depth of only 20ft. I don't think I would bother with a safety stop.
I would expand on the recreational safety stop theory a bit more...but I think first you might want to dig out your scuba text and re-study.
It never hurts on any recreational NDL 'no stop dive' to conduct a safety stop....remembering there are certain situations were a safety stop becomes a must.
You REALLY need to restudy your basic scuba materials prior to doing any diving....not being rude but just being honest!

superkingkong
11-07-2007, 21:38
oh, sorry, i'm asking this because.. i'm not too sure about it :smiley2:... probably i've forgotten, and that i dont have my book with me now, not until 3 months later.

so, i thought i should ask here. i tried to search on the net, but i couldn't get any answer on it.

anyway, Mod, please delete this if it's not appropriate, thanks.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-07-2007, 21:54
PADI recommends a 'safety' stop for any dive.

If I recall: PADI makes the safety stop mandatory for any dive exceeding 100 ft or coming within 3 pressure groups of the NDL or if you are using a computer any time your computer tells you to do one.

texdiveguy
11-07-2007, 21:57
oh, sorry, i'm asking this because.. i'm not too sure about it :smiley2:... probably i've forgotten, and that i dont have my book with me now, not until 3 months later.

so, i thought i should ask here. i tried to search on the net, but i couldn't get any answer on it.

I have just been looking at your questions all over the board in several different sub forums....not trying to discourage you questions....but some are just SO simple in terms of the answer that I would EXPECT a diver whom is certed with 25-50 dives to know the answers. If I am over reacting to your numerous threads than maybe I am missing the point.
**Again I would sugg. a refresher class from an instructor...that is a super way to review and bring your basic skills and knowledge back up to speed before your future dives.

superkingkong
11-07-2007, 22:02
thanks Joe :)

hi texdiveguy,

thanks for the suggestion.
Since it's been a while, i've forgotten some of the theories. I don't have friends here, i can't get hold of any books now. anyway, I'll refrain myself from asking on the board again. I wait for another 3 months until i get my book.

thanks.

ReefHound
11-07-2007, 22:11
I hope you'll wait to dive, too. I think all Alan is trying to say is you need a refresher course if you've forgotten so much basic stuff, because at 100 feet or 60 feet or even 15 feet under the surface, you will not have the luxury of asking somebody how to do something you find yourself needing to do.

OcnsekrMJ
11-07-2007, 22:34
This is my first time on this site...... Wow - the questions are so deep - pardon the punn. I think I have to agree with all my predecessors on this one. You better go back for a refresher and take a safety stop at the surface before heading out to the open waters!!!! Have a great day

WaScubaDude
11-07-2007, 23:07

hi texdiveguy,

Since it's been a while, i've forgotten some of the theories. I don't have friends here, i can't get hold of any books now. anyway, I'll refrain myself from asking on the board again. I wait for another 3 months until i get my book.

thanks.

"Safety Stops" in large part are a chance for divers to practice "perfect buoyancy." I say any time you go deeper than 10 ft, make a 3 minute stop there. If you go 20 to 100, with NDL., Make a 5 minute stop at 15ft if you have ample air. It's really good practice. Some divers think they have buoyancy tuned in, but they still put one finger on the bottom. Safety stop makes it obvious who has it dialed in.

WaScubaDude
11-07-2007, 23:09
For every one else. No need to bust his chops. Try to be encouraging. At least he is asking q's.

ReefHound
11-07-2007, 23:26
For every one else. No need to bust his chops. Try to be encouraging. At least he is asking q's.

We are "encouraging" him to get the hands-on training he needs in order to not kill himself. Online questions are great but are for fine-tuning, not for learning basic OW skills.

WaScubaDude
11-07-2007, 23:33

hi texdiveguy,

thanks.

Please don't "refrain" from asking any questions at all. Your questions, and the answers they eliscit may help you and others to be better divers. I think many forget just how much there is to learn when you first start. Some things you may have forgotten, some things you may never have been taught. Just keep asking questions, keep your dives shallow 40-50 max and enjoy diving.

texdiveguy
11-07-2007, 23:51

hi texdiveguy,

thanks.

I hope you did not take my comments as a 'don't post questions' thing....I am ALL for refreshing/asking and doing. I think just the way you phased your questions came off in a way that got me to wondering your experience.....I don't know your current situation....but as a dive Pro I feel an obligation to question...and sugg. certain things...I hope you understand that. **Please try when you can to hook up with an instructor/DM for a scuba review class....they are well worth the time and small cost....you will be amazed at how fast things come back to you both in the book knowledge and the skills!! Best of luck to you...and safe diving in the future.

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 01:43

thanks WaScubaDude, i like your spirit. I guess, that's what a board for, to help each other and to discuss.
"I dont know, that's why i ask"

and thanks for your pointer too.

well, i have not forgotten the safety stop at 15ft. just that i'm "not so sure" what if i'm at 10ft or so.

for real diving, i'll definately do a safety at 15ft, if i go beyond that.

so, i think it's not feasible for me to just do a refresher because i forget some points... like this one and also another question of mine on another thread.

anyway, thanks a bunch, guys.

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 01:58

hi texdiveguy,

thanks.

I hope you did not take my comments as a 'don't post questions' thing....I am ALL for refreshing/asking and doing. I think just the way you phased your questions came off in a way that got me to wondering your experience.....I don't know your current situation....but as a dive Pro I feel an obligation to question...and sugg. certain things...I hope you understand that. **Please try when you can to hook up with an instructor/DM for a scuba review class....they are well worth the time and small cost....you will be amazed at how fast things come back to you both in the book knowledge and the skills!! Best of luck to you...and safe diving in the future.

I'm cool. I do understand the way u think from a pro point of view.
Thanks for your good deed.

but i do see some, diving, to them, is just a fun activity. they get the cert because that have to. after that, they will just follow the DM at the resort. i wonder, if there isn't any DM to lead the dive, and if they are buddied with a similar "rank" person, i'm not sure whether they will know what to do, if you get what i mean.

kenmendes
11-08-2007, 08:02

Don't be sorry for asking. No questions are dumb questions. I would rather ask a question than not know something and hurt yourself or someone else. Feel free to ask any question no matter how silly or dumb you think it might be.

Zenagirl
11-08-2007, 08:58
Ditto, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask questions here.

My answer would be that my husband and I have a personal rule that when we dive below 35' we always do a 3 minute safety stop. When we do deeper dives, if we find that our computers are within the yellow zone of nitrogen loading, we extend our safety stops to off-gas enough to get into the green. We also try to ascend the last 10' of our dives very slowly, taking 1-2 minutes to do so.

Off-gassing in the water at 15-20' is better than off-gassing on the surface.

CC1020
11-08-2007, 09:43
Ditto, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask questions here.

My answer would be that my husband and I have a personal rule that when we dive below 35' we always do a 3 minute safety stop. When we do deeper dives, if we find that our computers are within the yellow zone of nitrogen loading, we extend our safety stops to off-gas enough to get into the green. We also try to ascend the last 10' of our dives very slowly, taking 1-2 minutes to do so.

Off-gassing in the water at 15-20' is better than off-gassing on the surface.

My understanding is that if you go 35' or deeper, then a safety stop is "highly recommended"

No Misses
11-08-2007, 10:30
hi guys...

SKK, I am sorry that so many posters did not fully read your question. The problem with the written word is that the meaning is somtimes lost in the text.

If you have been diving in 10-20 feet of water, you have basically done a 1 hour safety stop :-) Hovering at 15' for an additional 3 minutes would be a little silly. Though it would be a good idea to do the things that you normally do on a safety stop ie: listen for boat traffic, stow any tools (flashlight, lobster gear, etc.), deploy surface marker, etc.

I hope this helped.

Zenagirl
11-08-2007, 14:11
My understanding is that if you go 35' or deeper, then a safety stop is "highly recommended"

That's why I said it was our "personal rule". We've decided that for us a safety stop is "required" when we dive deeper than 35 feet.

superkingkong
11-08-2007, 17:18
hey, thanks ppl for your feedbacks. I really do appreciate it.
Now i understand the situation better.

Thank you.

in_cavediver
11-08-2007, 19:00
For me, anything over 30' or so, I'll do a stop at the end of the dive. I subscribe to the school of thought that at 2ata or less, its pretty much impossible in a recreational scuba setting to absorb enough nitrogen to cause the bends so I worry less about a stop and more about good technique in the ascent.

Now, what depth to I do the 'safety' stop. Well it depends. If on air/40% nitrox or less, I do it between 15-20' based on where its most comfortable. If I have two gases, one that's 50/50 or O2, even if in a no-deco situation, I do the stop at 20' on the 50/50 or O2.

In the end, remember its the technique and good buoyancy control that is as important as the tissue loading for whether you get bent. Personal opinion is that the 'underserved' hits of DCS come from poor technique in the ascent/end of the dive. Think opening a pop can. Do you want to open the one that was handled smoothly or the one that go shaken up.

Zenagirl
11-08-2007, 20:04
There's a really good article in the current issue of "Alert Diver" about safety stops.

DivingsInMyBlood
11-08-2007, 20:25
I will always do a 3 minute safety stop if im down deeper than about 20 feet. Like whats been said its good to practice on every dive too.

quasimoto
11-09-2007, 16:19
A lot of divers when doing 100' dives will do a one minute stop every 10-15 feet. I have dove with others that have stopped at half of the max depth for one minute and then done the 3 minutes at 15.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 18:18
A lot of divers when doing 100' dives will do a one minute stop every 10-15 feet. I have dove with others that have stopped at half of the max depth for one minute and then done the 3 minutes at 15.

yeah, i've heard of this before... similar. First they will do a 1min stop at half of the max depth, then at 40' for 3 mins, 30' for 3 mins, 15' for 3 mins, 10' for 1mins. some of them say they feel great, not so tired.

thesmoothdome
11-09-2007, 21:32
Like most have said, a safety stop is just a way to add a margin of safety to the dive. If you're within your no decompression limits, you are allowed to proceed directly to the surface. That said, if I'm deeper than 15 feet (and I can't think of a dive when I haven't been) I stop at 15 feet for a few minutes. In addition to adding to the safety factor, it gives me a chance to a) relax ...b) reflect on the dive... c) work on my bouyancy control.

Oh, and please don't stop posting questions that you would like answered. We're happy to help and those that aren't can pretty much lump it.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 14:35
Like most have said, a safety stop is just a way to add a margin of safety to the dive. If you're within your no decompression limits, you are allowed to proceed directly to the surface. That said, if I'm deeper than 15 feet (and I can't think of a dive when I haven't been) I stop at 15 feet for a few minutes. In addition to adding to the safety factor, it gives me a chance to a) relax ...b) reflect on the dive... c) work on my bouyancy control.

Oh, and please don't stop posting questions that you would like answered. We're happy to help and those that aren't can pretty much lump it.

you're nice, thanks :)

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 15:29
Another good reason to stop at around 15' is to help keep from an out of control ascent. It lets you slow down, stop and regroup. It also gives you a chance to listen for boats that may be in the area before fully ascending. As others have said it adds a safety margin and allows you a chance to work on buoyancy control.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 16:13
Another good reason to stop at around 15' is to help keep from an out of control ascent. It lets you slow down, stop and regroup. It also gives you a chance to listen for boats that may be in the area before fully ascending. As others have said it adds a safety margin and allows you a chance to work on buoyancy control.

Err, I'm sorry to ask, another stupid question of mine, why this standard of 15'/3m? why not 10ft or 20ft?

someone told me before that this is the best depth for off-gassing. true?

moosicman
11-10-2007, 16:23
I haven't seen anyone add this in for one of the MANY reasons behind the safety stop, even though it may go without saying, whats the fun of NOT saying it....anyway.....a safety stop in that zone (15-30 ft.) if i am correct, is because in that 2nd atmosphere of pressure (33 ft to surface) is where you will experience the greatest expansion of gases in your system.....and you don't want a "gas out of solution" situation;)...as for me, i plan on doing safety stops at 30 AND at 15 and taking my time with my ascent in the mean time.....double up the redundancy and repeat that! (get it?)

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 16:39
I haven't seen anyone add this in for one of the MANY reasons behind the safety stop, even though it may go without saying, whats the fun of NOT saying it....anyway.....a safety stop in that zone (15-30 ft.) if i am correct, is because in that 2nd atmosphere of pressure (33 ft to surface) is where you will experience the greatest expansion of gases in your system.....and you don't want a "gas out of solution" situation;)...as for me, i plan on doing safety stops at 30 AND at 15 and taking my time with my ascent in the mean time.....double up the redundancy and repeat that! (get it?)

got it....2ata... thanks for the explanation :)

Zenagirl
11-11-2007, 07:45
I prefer to do stops at about 20' instead of 15', mostly because if you have to use a descent line because of current, there are fewer folks down at 20'. If it's a mid-water stop, I find it easier to hold my depth at 20' than 15'.

superkingkong
11-11-2007, 16:38
next time i don't have to be panic if my depth gauge shows me that i'm less than 14' or more 16' :D

love u ppl.. love this forum :)

ReefHound
11-12-2007, 08:38
Err, I'm sorry to ask, another stupid question of mine, why this standard of 15'/3m? why not 10ft or 20ft?

Actually you are allowed this range, just that 15' is midway and allows for a little drift up and down while remaining in the range. Also as mentioned the safety stop line can get crowded and you have to be a little flexible to allow other divers into the range.

When ocean diving I prefer the deeper end around 18' because you are less affected by the swells.

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 15:47
Another option would be to buy a SMB and shoot it at depth for your safety depth. I have mine marked every 10' in black and the 15' stop is in red. Some even put a bead on their line at 15'.

ReefHound
11-12-2007, 16:54
I guess it doesn't hurt but my dive computer and gauges tell me where 15 feet is just fine, no need for beads. Often in ocean diving you will need to stay on the line if there is current, if crowded one can tie off a jon line and hover away from the pack.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 17:25
can a reef hook acts as a jon line?

ReefHound
11-12-2007, 21:42
Did he say reef hook? Boo. Hiss.

Seriously, I don't know if they would "work" for the task but I'd be concerned about either damaging the line or another diver's groping hand. As a general rule, while improvisation is sometimes necessary it's usually best to use the right tool for the job. A good jon line is only $20 or so.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 21:51
Did he say reef hook? Boo. Hiss.

Seriously, I don't know if they would "work" for the task but I'd be concerned about either damaging the line or another diver's groping hand. As a general rule, while improvisation is sometimes necessary it's usually best to use the right tool for the job. A good jon line is only $20 or so.

sorry, i was asking you earlier on.

thanks for the info.
it just that i have the reef hook already. i'm just asking whether it's suitable for that :) well, i guess it's right, you'll need the right tool for the right job :)

moosicman
11-13-2007, 12:18
what do you mean, "reef hook"...???

i may ask as well,,,,,,"what do you mean...flash gordon approching?" anyone rembmer that?

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 14:43
what do you mean, "reef hook"...???

i may ask as well,,,,,,"what do you mean...flash gordon approching?" anyone rembmer that?

this one.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/AQURHSB.jpg