PDA

View Full Version : Putting on a wetsuit

robjoubert
11-08-2007, 10:23
After trying on my very first wetsuit, I would REALLY appreciate any and all comments on the different ways to put on a wetsuit. :smiley9:

(Its wasn't a very pretty spectacle: fortunately my SO was not with me or she would have really busted a gut laughing at me :smilie39:).

Thanks

WaScubaDude
11-08-2007, 10:28
You need the Juice. Some use 1/2 conditioner 1/2 warm water in a squirt bottle, others use retail products ie; moose juice etc. Anyway, spray inside the suit, usually the arms and legs are hardest to get into. Sit or find something to hold onto and slide on in. Then do that funny dance to get the shoulders up and arm in all the way.

Defman
After trying on my very first wetsuit, I would REALLY appreciate any and all comments on the different ways to put on a wetsuit. :smiley9:

(Its wasn't a very pretty spectacle: fortunately my SO was not with me or she would have really busted a gut laughing at me :smilie39:).

Thanks

Plastic bag (grocery works good) over the feet & hands helps it slide into the suit. Not perfect but works very well. Be sure to securely store it while you're not using so that it doesn't blow away.

NitroWill
Sit down, Leg 1 on, Leg 2 on - Stand up - pull crotch area all the way up..
Then do a little jiggle dance and put arm 1 and arm 2 on and zip :)

thor
11-08-2007, 11:11

Plus you then "do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight....get down tonight"

It usually helps to roll the top down a little when you put the legs through.

RoadRacer1978
11-08-2007, 11:18
Wearing a skin is another way to help the wetsuit slide on. Most of all it just takes a little practice and trust me, it wil get easier.

CC1020
11-08-2007, 11:21
The plastic bag trick works pretty well. Otherwise, just "do the dance"

TRACI
11-08-2007, 11:53
I have also heard putting baby powder on the inside of your suit

robjoubert
11-08-2007, 13:05
You need the Juice. Some use 1/2 conditioner 1/2 warm water in a squirt bottle, others use retail products ie; moose juice etc. Anyway, spray inside the suit, usually the arms and legs are hardest to get into. Sit or find something to hold onto and slide on in. Then do that funny dance to get the shoulders up and arm in all the way.
AFTER getting into and then out of the dang suit, the clerk told me about "the Juice" - and yes I am going to get a bottle!!!

Scuba Steve
11-08-2007, 21:57
I've heard of someone using liquid soap to accomplish this but I don't think it's good for marine life.

I found that pulling my arm/pant sleeves towards me from the wrist/ankle openings works well. The rest of my body requires a bunch of pulling and dancing. Zippers on the ankle openings also work quite well. The wetsuits I've worn seem to work like those chinese finger traps that tighten as you stretch the material.

:105-02_ani:

kingfish
11-09-2007, 00:04
The other day i was about to do a dive when i saw a bloke with plastic bags on his hands as he was gearing up and i thought to myself...wierd...lol
Why has he got those bags on his hands i thought.:smiley36:
Now i know.:)

Jas.

Steve Scuba
11-09-2007, 10:51
I use a pair of "sealskinz" socks that I got long before I started to scuba. They're basically really thin stretchy neoprene socks that not only add a bit of warmth, but also make it very easy to slide my feet into the legs of my one-piece 7/5.

Navy OnStar
11-09-2007, 11:23

Thanks

Yeah, try getting stuck in a new one when the zipper breaks as you are trying it on.........They had to blow compressed air in the arms and legs to keep me from passing out (florida in august)while they worked on the zipper. My SO was there and I still hear about it!:smilie39:

gthomas
11-09-2007, 11:32
no matter what you try they're still a pain to put on. I have a super stretch and I still hate it.

Puffer Fish
11-09-2007, 11:40
no matter what you try they're still a pain to put on. I have a super stretch and I still hate it.
With slippery socks, something slippery on your hands, I don't find it so bad .....almost easy... except the J-suit and that is an art form.

BobbyWombat
11-09-2007, 12:17
One trick I find helpful, hopefully I can describe usefully:

You will put your legs on first thusly:

1. Holding the WS, reach in and grab the inside of the leg at or just above where your knee will wind up.
2. Pull the leg up through the WS, like you are going to turn the leg inside out, but pull from where you grabbed at the knee so it will be partially inside-out.
3. What you want to wind up with is the WS leg folded up per the following:

Starting at the opening for your foot, the WS leg goes up to the knee, then the leg folds completely over to form a "tube" that goes all the way back down to the foot opening, then folds again to form another "tube" that goes all the way back up the leg.

Usually sitting down, you can grab the top of the first fold, stick your foot in and pull. All you need to do at this point is get the WS up to your knee (not too hard).

Then you stand up, and kind of "unroll" the rest of the WS leg up your leg. Some pulling and dancing will get the WS on up to your waist.

Some folks then do a similar maneuver to get the arms on....I haven't found that necessary. It's just the legs that give me a hard time.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe it will if you try it. I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, which might help explain better. Let me know if this is more confusing than helpful.

-BW

navyhmc
11-12-2007, 20:16
Recently, I had to get a new wet suit because my last suit shrunk over the years-they do that. My last suit was a Fathom who I'm told are out of business which is a pity. Their suits were very elastic and had a sort of velour insidie that made even a wet-wet suit easy to get on.

I have found as RoadRacer1978 posted wearing a skin will help a lot. I use an IST DS-20 Dive skin that is lycra. It adds very little bulk is night and day difference in putting on the suit.

A number of companies make/stock lycra or polyproplyene skins that aren't too expensive that will help avoiding the dance.

Navy OnStar
11-13-2007, 08:11
I have a merino lined 3mm Pinnacle seal. The Merino lining helps a bunch with getting the suit on and off.

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 12:31
I swear... if someone would come up with some sort of grab-handles on the inside hips of a wetsuit it would make all the difference... I have a bear of a time getting the thing over my hips!!!

AAUY
11-13-2007, 16:45
I swear... if someone would come up with some sort of grab-handles on the inside hips of a wetsuit it would make all the difference... I have a bear of a time getting the thing over my hips!!!

That's my problem too! Hip/butt area is a pain in the @ss! :smiley29: lol

I have such a small body and my but/hips are huge unfortunetly so it makes for a tough time with those rental suits!!

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 17:10
That's my problem too! Hip/butt area is a pain in the @ss! :smiley29: lol

I have such a small body and my but/hips are huge unfortunetly so it makes for a tough time with those rental suits!!

Oh I am right there with you! Once I'm over my hips I'm good, but getting it there- wow. I think there should be a "curvy" category when buying wetsuits!

danielh03
11-14-2007, 00:26
Just do the wet suit jig!

AAUY
11-14-2007, 00:55
Oh I am right there with you! Once I'm over my hips I'm good, but getting it there- wow. I think there should be a "curvy" category when buying wetsuits!

I agree whole heartedly!!!! :smiley31: :smiley32:

Zenagirl
11-14-2007, 07:49
Gotta say this is one reason I'm strictly a Henderson Hyperstretch wearer. My 5mm full is easier to get on than most people's 3mm suits.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 07:56
The problem with my Henderson hyperstretch is that it's too easy to put my leg in the sleeve by accident. Once I get the wrist cuff over my ankle it's really hard to get it back off and supremely embarassing.

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 08:11
The problem with my Henderson hyperstretch is that it's too easy to put my leg in the sleeve by accident. Once I get the wrist cuff over my ankle it's really hard to get it back off and supremely embarassing.
You have actually done that???? And you admit it??? You are one brave man...:smilie39:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 08:24
Yep, I did it. Once. I almost couldn't get it off, so there was no way to hide it from those around me. Very embarassing. Now that I am more accustomed to the way it feels going on I don't do that anymore.

lovesmexico615
11-14-2007, 13:39
Oh, believe me, until now, it's been rentals only. I've bought a 7mm Pinnacle Elastiprene and a 3mm Bare Velocity. Stretchy neoprene is a must for me!

Zenagirl
11-14-2007, 15:50

Although it probably wasn't funny for you at the time, I admit that I laughed out loud at the mental image I had reading this! :D

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 15:59

Please tell me you were gearing up for a night dive in the dark. :smilie39:

scubajane
11-21-2007, 17:47
BOBBYWOMBAT you did a great job of explaining how to get into a wetsuit!!!I too have done that. when I have trouble sliding my arms in I reach up to a overhang or the top of something and grab hold and stretch out my arm and it seems to reposition the arm appropriately a skinsuit also helps. some people wear a pair of pantyhose they can be old and ratty. they may mess with your manhood but you'll dive quicker. then again dome divers never tire of watching the wetsuit dance. so dance have fun and make friends. I was on a dive boat and on dive 7 or 8 of my whole career. I must have been doing a really good dance.. a total stranger joined me and gently placed his hand on the small of my back to stablize my frantic dance and I was able to complete the task at hand. then again when you wear neoprene are there ever any REAL strangers?

bvav
11-22-2007, 19:07
Turning it inside out and then basically rolling it on has worked well for me. If you get the stretchy neoprene then it's not really an issue though.

frankc420
11-22-2007, 20:18
My suit is the henderson gold core, I find it is much MUCH easier to slide into if I dip it into the water first, slides right on after that :)

divinginn
11-22-2007, 20:39
cheap dollar store hair conditioner has been the best way for me to wiggle into my 7mill semidry.I tryed skins and plastic bags,but nothing beats the conditioner,helps with coming off too.

Grin
11-23-2007, 08:15
I dip my suit in the water, spray a little conditioner in the armpit holes and little up the arm cuffs and it slips right on. This is a closed cell slick inside type suit. Even if you rolled this type of suit on it would need to be adjusted by slipping the suit around your arms etc... a little. If the suit has the material side inside it will likely need nothing to put on dry. If it has the slick sticky side inside for warmth it will almost certainly need put on like I stated. And the thicker the suit the more lube and water might be needed. My 3 mil suit only needs water. My 5 mil suit needs the lube as well as a little water. A spray bottle with unsceted(unless you want to smell like a rose) hair conditioner and water mixed 50/50 works great.

teog
12-25-2007, 10:05

The jiggle dance is my favorite part of putting a wet suit on:smiley36:

wheelman
12-25-2007, 10:26
I use the Henderson hyper stretch... no problems.

Goober
12-25-2007, 15:31
I just kinda do the Hokie Pokie and whala, I'm in!:smiley2:

divingchef
12-26-2007, 10:54
I never knew this was such an issue.....I simply sit, pull up to thighs, stand up, pull up to waist, sit back down, one arm, second arm....no juice, no soap, no bags, etc.....I must be doing something wrong if its that easy.....(:

Goober
12-26-2007, 11:03
I never knew this was such an issue.....I simply sit, pull up to thighs, stand up, pull up to waist, sit back down, one arm, second arm....no juice, no soap, no bags, etc.....I must be doing something wrong if its that easy.....(:

You know I've thought this very thing. I get my legs in,(sitting of course, naturaly I wouldn't want to create some sort of natural disaster). Once my legs are in iget my knees where they should be. I then get the crotch of the suit situated, then my arms(I do have a little trouble with my forearms). Slip my shouders in and zip 'er up.

Bob-B
12-26-2007, 12:47
The First time I had a wetsuit on, I rented a a 7mm for my ow. I struggled to get legs in and over the hips. I figured that it must be a size too small. Finally got it on and was told that the fit was just right!!. Not much stretch in the old rental suits. Now I read about using the "Juice" and am thinking that maybe I'll be able to slide in with ease. Wish the guy had told me about it the first time. I bet they had a good laugh after I left, talking about the guy dancing around the store trying to get the suit on!

Plus I am guessing the Hair conditioner would make it smell a little better.

therealtreehugger
12-26-2007, 13:46
Frank has the best idea yet - get it wet. In fact, just jump right in. It is Sooooo much easier to put on a wet suit when you are IN the water! It literally just slides right on! The first time I saw my instructor do this, I thought he was nuts. I have since verified this, but also discovered that he was right! And, I have found that it is also easier to take it off in the water. Try it! Of course this might be a pain when doing shore diving, but, its great for boat diving where you don't need to get dressed before you get in the boat, and for pool sessions, too.

DollFin
12-28-2007, 02:50
I just bought a slightly used Henderson Gold Core 5mm 2 piece - found it for under $90 on eBay and it was in perfect condition. Only problem I ended up with is that I have very muscular legs for a girl and at first I could not get the darn thing on over my calves! I'm a new diver and this is my first suit (I wore a shorty for my cert. dives in St Thomas) so it was a little disheartening, but then I tried it on with a pair of panty hose and was able to get into it. I just odrered a Henderson "Hot skin" so I'll see if it works with that too - would rather use something lile that than pantyhose!

Goober
12-28-2007, 03:44
I just bought a slightly used Henderson Gold Core 5mm 2 piece - found it for under $90 on eBay and it was in perfect condition. Only problem I ended up with is that I have very muscular legs for a girl and at first I could not get the darn thing on over my calves! I'm a new diver and this is my first suit (I wore a shorty for my cert. dives in St Thomas) so it was a little disheartening, but then I tried it on with a pair of panty hose and was able to get into it. I just odrered a Henderson "Hot skin" so I'll see if it works with that too - would rather use something lile that than pantyhose!

I have one of their fleece lined hot skins...man I love that thing!

CaribbeanDiver
12-28-2007, 06:08
Wearing a skin is another way to help the wetsuit slide on. Most of all it just takes a little practice and trust me, it wil get easier.
he lies. it doesnt get easier. anyway, what is all the fuss? putting the suit on is not nearly as hard as taking the suit off.

h2odragon1
12-28-2007, 10:19
You put your rigth foot in, and you right foot out, then you put your left foot in and your left foot out then you shake it all about .... you know the rest!:smilie39::smilie39:

BuzzF117
12-29-2007, 17:07
I learned that if the suit goes on very easily it probably doesn't fit it's to big. Unless its a highend model with some sort of teflon nonstick coating on the inside!!

DollFin
12-31-2007, 02:18
You put your rigth foot in, and you right foot out, then you put your left foot in and your left foot out then you shake it all about .... you know the rest!:smilie39::smilie39:

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Grizbear98
01-07-2008, 13:53
There's nothing I love more than trying on wetsuits -_-

I find that rolling them on like pantyhose makes it a little easier, farmer jane/john suits are a bit easier to get on too

cheebaweebie
01-07-2008, 15:01
They make a product called "Slime" (safe for the enviroment etc...) that Is use for wake board bindings that works well. Also conditioner has been mentioned several times which works well. I usually don't have a problem not using anything but what is a PIA is when you pull the suit down to your waist between dives and try to get it back on. My suit is tough as he** to get over my shoulders.

JoeSat
01-09-2008, 10:24
I've used the plastic grocery bag over the feet & hands and it works well for me. Cheep to replace the bags too. Also found that some suits are eaiser than others.

lifeispunny
01-09-2008, 11:10
Ask a girl to show you how she puts pantyhose on. The same concept works for me. Basically, sit down and bunch up the legs and put your foot through, repeat for other leg. Pull it all the way up over the butt and smooth the legs out.

Then I usually do a windmill like thing with the arms to get them right.

Hope this helps!

Jas0n
01-09-2008, 22:50
I'm glad I read this thread... I have so far deduced there are three really good methods:

1. use a lubricant of some sort - water/juice/conditioner
2. do a funky dance while trying not to suffocate yourself with plastic bags?
3. bribe santa to get some of the magic dust or whatever that jolly ol' man uses to slide down chimneys.

--
seriously though... thanks for the various tips, good to know before heading out to try on wetsuits. :)