PDA

View Full Version : sea cure worth it?

gibson1525
11-08-2007, 12:44
well, i'm looking ahead to what i should buy with my $50 gift card and was wondering if the sea cure mouthpieces are worth the money. they seem a little expensive for a mouthpiece but it would be nice to get rid of that jaw fatigue. do they work well enough to justify the cost? thanks

ertechsg
11-08-2007, 12:49
I like mine. I also have bad gag reflex so I cut the sides way back and with the dental impression it seem to help my problem alittle better. IMO worth the money.

dallasdivergirl
11-08-2007, 12:53
I love mine. I had to re-do it since my first impression was crooked and now it is perfect.

I had to cut mine way down too.

MSilvia
11-08-2007, 12:57
I love mine too. If you don't already have one, I can't imagine you'll regret it.

Defman
11-08-2007, 13:02
I saved some bucks and got a Rite-bite instead, very comfortable. Basically they compensate for under/over bite.

Never used a Sea-cure so I cannot compare the two.

gibson1525
11-08-2007, 13:41
thanks for the advice, sounds like that's where my money will go then.

Zenagirl
11-08-2007, 14:09
Great mouthpiece IMO. I find that I just have to keep my mouth shut and the reg stays in my mouth...no more clenching down with my teeth.

gibson1525
11-11-2007, 13:01
well, i guess i'm convinced. after doing 5 dives yesterday my jaw is tired!

jwdizney
11-11-2007, 13:05
definitely a comfortable mouthpiece, with less jaw fatigue....

CompuDude
11-11-2007, 13:38
I've heard consistently good reports about reduced jaw fatigue, so it's worth looking into if that's a problem for you.

Be sure to cut it down so it's close to a regular mouthpiece in size, however. If you ever have to donate your regulator, you can cause the person you're donating to to gag, making a bad situation much worse.

comet24
11-11-2007, 13:43
I not a fan. Bought one and did one dive with it and didn't like how it felt in my mouth. Figured I would give it a few more dive to see what happened. Found myself using my octo part way through each dive.

Still have it as it sits in my save a dive kit but don't see using it again.

gibson1525
11-11-2007, 14:40
I've heard consistently good reports about reduced jaw fatigue, so it's worth looking into if that's a problem for you.

Be sure to cut it down so it's close to a regular mouthpiece in size, however. If you ever have to donate your regulator, you can cause the person you're donating to to gag, making a bad situation much worse.

good point, never thought of that. i'll be sure to trim it down.

rktman26
11-11-2007, 15:33
I used my reg for about 6 dives before I got the SeaCure. From this point forward, I will always have one one my regulators. No jaw fatigue, and I can get a much better grip on the mouthpiece, so my buddy doesn't kick it out of my mouth.

Cheddarchick
11-11-2007, 16:10
I not a fan. Bought one and did one dive with it and didn't like how it felt in my mouth. Figured I would give it a few more dive to see what happened. Found myself using my octo part way through each dive.

Me too....

ian
11-11-2007, 16:36
I not a fan...(s)till have it as it sits in my save a dive kit but don't see using it again.

Me too....

What is it that you didn't like about it? Just curious.

I got one a few months ago. It took two shots to get it fit properly.

I love mine. My wife has been complaining about jaw fatigue when diving. Yesterday, I paid attention as to how I hold my reg in my mouth. I found out that the fit is so good against my upper teeth that i just push it up there with my tongue and swim with my jaw slack. My lips hold the reg in place and the Sea Cure mouthpiece hangs on to the shape of my upper teeth.:smiley20:

It is incredibly comfortable, to me. So much so that we're going to our LDS to pick one up for Laura, too! OK. She's waiting for me now...

See ya...

Ian

Aussie
11-11-2007, 16:58

Me too....

I have a Jax mouth piece which I think is along the same lines of the sea cure. I tried it and didnt like it.

It was harder than my comfo bite and basically you had to bite down on it to make it it fit poperly. This made my jaw ache and sore gums.

I prefer the comfo bite as its very soft and it fits well and you dont have to bite down on it.

Aussie

MSilvia
11-12-2007, 09:29
It was harder than my comfo bite and basically you had to bite down on it to make it it fit poperly. This made my jaw ache and sore gums.
It doesn't sound like a sea-cure to me... I hardly have to bite down on mine at all, because it is an exact fit for my teeth. I found it dramatically reduced jaw fatigue and it hasn't bothered my gums at all.

CC1020
11-12-2007, 09:40
Mine works great... love it!

txmntman
11-12-2007, 16:02
I got a SeaCure to fix a specific problem. I have an oceanic side exhaust (Omega) that puts a little torque on my mouth late in the dive. The mouthpiece I had was very soft. I tried the sea-cure (after fitting it to my mouth) and it solved my problem completely. I really like it. I got my son to try one, and he likes it as well. We did have to cut both of them down, but that is part of the fitting process....It was a good buy!

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 12:27
Been looking into this... when you all say you had to cut it down, I'm assuming you're talking about the sides of the mouthpiece that would reach back to your molars? And did you just take scissors to this part and hack it off? I guess I'm a bit confused because I've only seen pictures so far...

WestTnDiver
11-13-2007, 14:17
Been looking into this... when you all say you had to cut it down, I'm assuming you're talking about the sides of the mouthpiece that would reach back to your molars? And did you just take scissors to this part and hack it off? I guess I'm a bit confused because I've only seen pictures so far...

The ends of the mouthpiece are extra long to fit most every jaw length. There are little raised lines on each side. You try the mouthpiece in your mouth and cut off only as much as sticks out past your last tooth. I had to cut it 3 or 4 times to get it to fit. You don't want to cut off to much. I used a sharp kitchen knife to cut it although the directions said to use scissors. It made a world of difference in comfort for me. It fits so well that I don't think anyone could ever kick the reg out of my mouth.

CompuDude
11-13-2007, 16:08

The ends of the mouthpiece are extra long to fit most every jaw length. There are little raised lines on each side. You try the mouthpiece in your mouth and cut off only as much as sticks out past your last tooth. I had to cut it 3 or 4 times to get it to fit. You don't want to cut off to much. I used a sharp kitchen knife to cut it although the directions said to use scissors. It made a world of difference in comfort for me. It fits so well that I don't think anyone could ever kick the reg out of my mouth.

Again, the only issue with this is if you ever have to donate your reg to someone with a shallower mouth. This is why they should really be trimmed to a length close to a standard mouthpiece. Most of the customized fit will remain, but it won't gag the OOA diver if their mouth is not as deep as yours.

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 17:02
Gotcha- thanks!

Cheddarchick
11-13-2007, 19:05
I just found it irritated the inside of my upper gum line big time. Actually had a sore starting almost right away...

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:36
well, just so you all know. the DAN auction is going on at present and there just so happens to be 3 SeaCure mouthpieces up for bid.
Now, be courteous to me, dont bid on the cheapest one, that is the one I am bidding on.:smiley36: