PDA

View Full Version : best titanium knife

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 13:24
Take price out of the equation. What is the best titanium knife out there?

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:11
any one that will cut through what you are tangled in.

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 14:17
any one that will cut through what you are tangled in.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>lol-good advice...</DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:27
I have the wenoka squeeze titanium and like it. It is small enough so it doesn'tget in the way but big enough to cut something if I need it to. I wantedtitanium so I wouldn't have to worry aboutrust.I just wonder if it will hold an edge as good as SS

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 16:43
I wantedtitanium so I wouldn't have to worry aboutrust.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I always thought you could tell how good a diverwas by how rusty their knife was. Hmmm...now how are we going to tell?</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 16:47
<div></div>
<div>I always thought you could tell how good a diverwas by how rusty their knife was. Hmmm...now how are we going to tell?</div>

Moss of the BC? Barnacles on the tank?

Judestudio
07-20-2007, 17:05
[QUOTE=thesmoothdomeI always thought you could tell how good a diverwas by how rusty their knife was.
<DIV>[/QUOTE] </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Really http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley24.gif? Or just how bad he looks after the equipments? My steel knife rustednot longafter my OW course coz I didn't oil it properly...LOL </DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 00:25
i have the t-rex titanium only paid 65.00 for and i love it

kevinj1
07-22-2007, 00:45
do you like the handle on the t-rex knife? It seems a little ''flimsy"

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 09:39
When i first got it thought it kind a looked cheap but so far i have really been pleased i had the stainless t rex before the titam one and no problems out of either.

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 13:50
thanks a lot for everyones info--i now have a lot of studying to do before I ever get my new knife... Let me know of others if they come to mind.
<DIV></DIV>

kevinj1
07-23-2007, 20:41
I like that Deep See<A name=024126></A>Titanium Jack Knife. That is really nice.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 15:47
<div align="left">I have and like the Halcyon titanium knife. Small, compact, but does
everything a knife should do, and requires zero post-dive care. I've
seen knockoffs that are just as good from a knife standpoint, but the
plastic sheaths they come with isn't as good for my needs.

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/Halcy&#111;n-TitaniumKnife.jpg
</div>

kevinj1
07-24-2007, 17:04
<DIV align=left>I have and like the Halcyon titanium knife. Small, compact, but does everything a knife should do, and requires zero post-dive care. I've seen knockoffs that are just as good from a knife standpoint, but the plastic sheaths they come with isn't as good for my needs.

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/Halcy&#111;n-TitaniumKnife.jpg
</DIV>

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ive never seen this knife before--it looks real nice------ill definetely look into this one.</DIV>

Krakenn
07-25-2007, 23:48
Being a clumsy diver that spends too much time inside reefy terrain. I would have to say that the best titanium knife I have never lost is the Aquatec T-Rex. It is a very sharp kinife works well as a Iki and has a great locking system.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My thoughts anyway - Kraks</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/AQUKTRT.JPG (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUKTRT.html?PopUp=1)</DIV>

Judestudio
07-26-2007, 00:17
<div></div>
<div>http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/AQUKTRT.JPG (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUKTRT.html?PopUp=1)</div>
Although I'm not a fan of drop-point knives, the T-Rex does look very cool. Didn't seem like ST has it (on their online catalog anyway), who sells it?

Krakenn
07-26-2007, 06:40
Hey Kiwi
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Aussie here, I got mine in Cairns QLD, there is also a smaller knife called a Raptor. Yes they are a sexo knife but very functional. i must admit i have a stainless steel one in my no.2 bag. But dont recommend them as they are rustier than a nuns hair pin.</DIV>
<DIV>With a bit of luck these guys may stock them, I had a funny feeling they did have some in a couple of years back around the same time as they had all those Mares Titanium regs.</DIV>
<DIV>Maybe they will see this and get a few in. Cost USA is about $89US if you have to hunt for them from other stores. I must admit I only buy from this USA store now they are the most efficent store in USA and dependable the gear comes in through Hong Kong and is in my State in record time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Kraks</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-26-2007, 10:30
Anyone who carries Aquatec products should be able to order it, I'd think.

These guys (http://www.123scuba.com/p-KN4260.html) carry the SS version, you could probably contact them and get them to order the titanium version.

kevinj1
07-27-2007, 15:11
Although I'm not a fan of drop-point knives, the T-Rex does look very cool. Didn't seem like ST has it (on their online catalog anyway), who sells it?

It is a great looking knife--how does everyone like the sheath? Some people really dislike pastic, button sheaths. I have used one before and I really liked it.
Let me hear some feedback divers...

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 18:21
i like the looks of this one... but haven't been able to track one down yet.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMTitanium

or this one...
i might be piking it up in my next order...
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TitaniumKnife

i use my fathers SS dive knife now (20+ years old, no rust) always kept in vaseline. it's sharp... so i guess it works. (was put a way without use for some 15 odd years or so.)

terrillja
07-27-2007, 23:42
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I always thought you could tell how good a diverwas by how rusty their knife was. Hmmm...now how are we going to tell?</DIV>

Well I dive in fresh water, so all my knives are rust free, in fact I have 2 sets of SS knives, one for the lakes, and one for the ocean. Makes cleaning your gear at the end of the dive easier too when you are diving in drinking safe water (New Hampshire Grade A lake).

kevinj1
07-28-2007, 20:03
Gorilla---I like that top knife as well. I just want to hear some feedback from somebody that owns one. That is what I love about this forum. We all share great ideas and experiences about a common topic; SCUBA...

sasscuba
07-30-2007, 17:50
Forget titanium and get an H1 Spyderco salt. Love mine...no rust ever and super sharp!

CompuDude
07-30-2007, 17:53
Forget titanium and get an H1 Spyderco salt. Love mine...no rust ever and super sharp!
Absolutely... once they get their plans for a fixed-blade knife off the drawing board and into the market. They started doing market research over a year ago, and still have yet to release anything. Grrr.

I have no interest for a folder for the type of diving I usually do.

cummings66
07-30-2007, 18:40
has a great locking system.

If you ever need a spare case I have one, the knife is somewhere under the water at Table Rock Lake in MO if you want to search for it. I hate the locking system. I'd dropped it twice and thought I had it figured out and lost it the third time. Same dive, nice knife but a waste of good plastic on the sheath.

kevinj1
07-31-2007, 16:21

The spyderco looks really nice, but it doesnt look like it comes with a sheath, is that correct???

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 17:35
The best titanium knife is the one you don't have to pay for ;)

Seriously though, I think any knife that is small (or large) enough to go where you want it to go, and is sharp enough to cut whatever you may need to is a great knife to have :)

CompuDude
07-31-2007, 17:35

The spyderco looks really nice, but it doesnt look like it comes with a sheath, is that correct???
Folders usually don't come with sheaths, given that the case IS a sheath of sorts. Such is the case here, too.

Krakenn
08-01-2007, 05:22
Smiles Cummin, i guess i always made sure it was locked by giving a sharp tug to avoid operator error.

What the hell is a H1 SpyderCo Salt. I mean I know you yanks have everything under the sun but what is this thing?

Is it some form of uranium depleted metal that glows in the night in case your careless enough to drop your knife?

Hehehe - No Offence

Kraks

Phestr
08-01-2007, 05:31
I like my Linecutter. sharp, no handle, and has kept me from becoming Catch-of-the-Day.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=OMSTitaniumLineCutter+

torrey
08-01-2007, 11:35
Is anybody familiar with the Ocean Master - Ocean Edge knife? I got one as a gift some time ago, but have never used it. I can't find anything at all about it on the internet. The retail is in the $60-range and I'm just wondering what makes it so special.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 14:17
Smiles Cummin, i guess i always made sure it was locked by giving a sharp tug to avoid operator error.

What the hell is a H1 SpyderCo Salt. I mean I know you yanks have everything under the sun but what is this thing?

Is it some form of uranium depleted metal that glows in the night in case your careless enough to drop your knife?

Hehehe - No Offence

Kraks

Are you familiar with SpyderCo knives? It's a well respected knife company, famous for it's serrated folders and wicked blade designs. They made a standard folding knife out of a new composite metal ("H1 steel") that apparently has the rust-proof capabilities of titanium, but which takes an edge as well as carbon steel, so it gets sharp and stays sharp (Titanium's Achilles heel).

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=172

I'm not a huge fan of folding dive knives in general, but it's nice when you can stick it in a pocket and never worry about having to pull it out to clean every time. It's also handy to have a knife with you in certain tropical locations that frown on having a knife on you... if it's hidden in a pocket, you won't get hassled.

kevinj1
08-01-2007, 15:20

Hehehe - No Offence

Kraks

Are you familiar with SpyderCo knives? It's a well respected knife company, famous for it's serrated folders and wicked blade designs. They made a standard folding knife out of a new composite metal ("H1 steel") that apparently has the rust-proof capabilities of titanium, but which takes an edge as well as carbon steel, so it gets sharp and stays sharp (Titanium's Achilles heel).

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=172

I'm not a huge fan of folding dive knives in general, but it's nice when you can stick it in a pocket and never worry about having to pull it out to clean every time. It's also handy to have a knife with you in certain tropical locations that frown on having a knife on you... if it's hidden in a pocket, you won't get hassled.

I have always known Spyderco to be some of the best knives out there--great reputation.
I never thought about concealing a fold up knife--great idea. But, Im not sure that I would make that my primary.
AND
YES, we Yanks DO have everything--ha ha

BSea
08-01-2007, 15:40

That's on my wish list. Well actually the Pacific Salt. But now that they have a fixed blade on the drawing board, I may have to be patient for it to come out. GEEZ something better is always just around the corner.

CompuDude
08-01-2007, 17:52

That's on my wish list. Well actually the Pacific Salt. But now that they have a fixed blade on the drawing board, I may have to be patient for it to come out. GEEZ something better is always just around the corner.
Don't hold your breath. They first started talking about doing on in public in June 2006.

By the end of July 2007, they were promising it early 2007 (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=152910).

We're now into August 2007?

So, could be just around the corner, could be a year or two away, if ever. Who knows?

*sigh*

Now I'm annoyed again...

Krakenn
08-02-2007, 05:00
Hmm looks nice Compu thx.

Krakenn

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:10
I have a Fusilier & love it

kevinj1
08-03-2007, 16:24
tbush--do you have a link to the fusilier you are talking about? it would be ool to take a look.

kevin

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 16:54
tbush--do you have a link to the fusilier you are talking about? it would be ool to take a look.

kevin
UK makes it, and ScubaToys carries it.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fusiler

It's not quite as rust proof as UK claims, however.

thor
08-03-2007, 17:05
I have the wenoka squeeze titanium. Very secure and easy to get out of the sheath with one hand.

sasscuba
08-03-2007, 17:16

Don't hold your breath. They first started talking about doing on in public in June 2006.

By the end of July 2007, they were promising it early 2007 (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=152910).

We're now into August 2007?

So, could be just around the corner, could be a year or two away, if ever. Who knows?

*sigh*

Now I'm annoyed again...

Whay do you guys prefer fixed blade? I love the Spyderco salts. I clip it to my center strap on my BC. No chance of it coming off unless you want it to and it can be opened with either hand and it only takes one hand to do so.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 17:31
Whay do you guys prefer fixed blade? I love the Spyderco salts. I clip it to my center strap on my BC. No chance of it coming off unless you want it to and it can be opened with either hand and it only takes one hand to do so.
Now try it with dry gloves, or thick wet gloves.

kevinj1
08-03-2007, 18:39
that is a concern of mine---thats why I am thinking of a knife with an easy sheath but also secure...

Krakenn
08-03-2007, 19:48
Hey Sass can you send a photo of how you have it set up?

Kraks

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 10:24
So where can I purchase one of these Syderco knives online?
Can they fit into a BC pocket?

Kraks

CompuDude
08-22-2007, 13:19
So where can I purchase one of these Syderco knives online?
Can they fit into a BC pocket?

Kraks
The fixed blades aren't for sale yet, if you mean the folders you can get them all over the dang place, just google "spyderco" "salt" and "h1".

Tons of hits came right up.

If your BC pocket is big enough to hold you average swiss army knife, it'll hold one of these.

Krakenn
08-23-2007, 07:11
Thanks M8

Ill wait for Scuba Toys to get some as I dont know any of the online dealers

Kraks

Souvy
08-24-2007, 23:28
I've got a UK Blue Tang knife and the Wenoka squeeze lock knife, both titanium. I have to say that I'm a huge of the Wenoka (I actually haven't taken out my Blue Tang since I bought it). It's small, EXTREMELY sharp, and sits securely in the sheath attached to the grommets on my BC. It comes out wicked easily should the need arise and I've never had a problem with it falling out.

In researching it, I read a lot of posts on scubaboard of people loosing them and having problems with the locking mechanism. So far as I can tell, that's most likely due to having sand get in the mechanism and not cleaning it out properly.

So, while I'm a fan of the Blue Tang, the Wenoka is by far my favorite.