PDA

View Full Version : Stobes what do you have

comet24
11-08-2007, 18:11
and do you like it. Pros and Cons of specific one.

I want a strobe to use in as a signaling device if ever needed. Looking for something thats not too big but also rugged.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 16:21
This is quite useful. i have one... simple and neat.

AQUA STROBE, Accessories: Signaling, Princeton Tec, AQUA STROBE (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AquaStrobe)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-09-2007, 19:26
I have the same strobe. I've only used it to mark the ascent line on a night dive, never at the surface. I've heard that they make it very easy for the coast guard to find you if you are lost at see at night.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 19:28
I have the same strobe. I've only used it to mark the ascent line on a night dive, never at the surface. I've heard that they make it very easy for the coast guard to find you if you are lost at see at night.

did u tie it to the line on the surface/bottom?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-09-2007, 19:35
I tied it at the bottom of the line.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 19:37
I tied it at the bottom of the line.

cool, thanks :)

mitsuguy
11-10-2007, 01:58
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|320544|103114&id=211427

$20 is all... strobe on one side, light on the other... the flashlight part sucks though, so spend $15 and throw in a 3 Watt LED, like we did here: http://forum.scubatoys.com/diy/5336-cheep-led-3-watt-light.html and then you have a decent backup light as well...

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 16:25
A lot of dive boats won't allow you to use them for personal markers. The reason being that they mark the down line with if during a night dive. Also it can be VERY annoying to other divers.
Personally I use a gloo-tube. It has several settings including my favorite..throb. It pulses but never goes completely out.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 16:30
A lot of dive boats won't allow you to use them for personal markers. The reason being that they mark the down line with if during a night dive. Also it can be VERY annoying to other divers.
Personally I use a gloo-tube. It has several settings including my favorite..throb. It pulses but never goes completely out.

BTW, where did you mount your glo-toob?

Puffer Fish
11-12-2007, 16:42
Have only heard of that when one is used as a down line... running one just to run one on a dive is generally not a good idea, I carry one, but don't turn it on unless it is needed...

mitsuguy
11-12-2007, 16:43

I think the OP didn't intend it as a marker, only a emergency beacon...

comet24
11-12-2007, 17:08

I think the OP didn't intend it as a marker, only a emergency beacon...

Correct. I think strobes or good for marking down lines for night dives and signaling on the surface. Don't like them as diver markers just to distracting.

quasimoto
11-13-2007, 15:56
When used on a night dive they can cause a bit of night blindness. Not really bad but you can tell the difference. Another reason not to wear one.

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 16:19
sorry guys... but any difference in the shape between markers and strobes?

MSilvia
11-13-2007, 16:19
I use a glo-toob fx also, and only at the surface or as a line marker. I don't much care for "diver markers"... IMHO dive lights do that more than adequately, especially if you carry a backup or two. Like most of my gear, I tied a bolt snap to it. In this case though, I made sure to leave enough slack in the cave line so that I can wrap it around a rode or upline and clip it off.

buddhasummer
12-23-2007, 05:39
and do you like it. Pros and Cons of specific one.

I want a strobe to use in as a signaling device if ever needed. Looking for something thats not too big but also rugged.

Jotron AQ4....amazing strobe, not small, but perhaps the best of its type on the market...check it out (oh and not cheap either but in an emergency its the one Id want to be carrying):smiley20:

or

ACR firfly plus....cheaper and apparently good quality