PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a brand new tinted mask?

gg169
11-08-2007, 22:29
Hi Everyone,

I am brand new here, this looks like a great forum. I have a question about a brand new tinted mask that I bought. I am obviously new to scuba and I love this mask but the sticker on the mask said not to use abrasive cleaners on it (like toothpaste). So, how am I supposed to get the silicone off? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

G

mitsuguy
11-09-2007, 00:10
I can't say I've seen the tinted ones like that in person close enough to inspect one, but one would have to assume that the tinting is on one side or the other (hopefully the outside), and if its in the lens itself, then they already did something to prevent fogging...

for instance, my swim goggles are mirrored, and you aren't supposed to use anything on them - they don't fog (granted you don't breathe into them), but the really don't fog at all - they have some sort of treatment on them already... what brand are we talking about here?

gg169
11-09-2007, 00:46
I guess that could be the case with these but they do seem to fog up on me. Just trying them on in the shop they fogged a bit. This mask is a Titos pixel. ? I am so confused! Also, the guy at the dive shop didn't seem to know.

G

mitsuguy
11-09-2007, 01:34
well, you can still use anti fog stuff....

i looked, but I don't see any product manuals online for the Tilos stuff...

kinda weird...

BobbyWombat
11-09-2007, 09:22
If it warns against using toothpaste, you can just use baby shampoo or even dish soap and a clean cotton cloth. You will want to scrub it pretty good. Do this several times. Then rinse like crazy to get all of the soap out.

the toothpast is just a little abrasive and helps the process go faster, but it is the same idea. Most manufacturers are worried about having the product returned if the toothpaste scratches it, I guess.

Chad
11-09-2007, 09:22
Have you tried the mask in the water with a dab of anti fog?

gg169
11-09-2007, 10:37
well, you can still use anti fog stuff....

i looked, but I don't see any product manuals online for the Tilos stuff...

kinda weird...

I know, I looked online too. I thought for sure that there would be something online about it but nope, nothing. Oh well. Thanks for your help. :smiley20:

G

gg169
11-12-2007, 10:51
Ok, so I thought I would just let everyone know for future Ref. My instructor said to just go ahea and use the toothpaste. The manufacturer just puts the warning on there because the lenses are tinted and they don't want to be liable for scratches. I used the toothpaste and it worked great, no scratches. Thanks everyone, for all the helpful tips!

Gina

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:23
when you go diving, instead of defogger, just spit on the lens rub it around then lightly rinse. you will never have a fog problem.
disgusting, I know, but it works better than any defogger including baby shampoo. and you have to admit, spit is cheaper then defogger and always available.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 03:51
I really couldn't come to terms with the tinted windows. Horrible, are you still using it?