PDA

View Full Version : Found Something?

skdvr
07-20-2007, 13:41
What do you do when you find something underwater???

For example: if you find a snorkel would you call any of the local dive shops to see if they had a charter out and if anyone lost a snorkel. Or do you stick it in your bag as a backup, or give it to someone else?
Last weekend I lost a dive knife and on the next dive while we were looking for my knife we found a snorkel. I contacted one of the local shops that I knew had been out there that same day to see if anyone of them had happened to find a knife or if anyone lost a snorkel. The answer was no to both.

I am just curious as to what you do when you find anything on the bottom?

Phil

Harshal
07-20-2007, 14:29
I don't know.......http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gifask Dr Phil

http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:42
I would say if it was anything of real value, I would ask around or make a posting on these boards. Like I stated in an earlier post, property has been returned through these postings. However, if the item was of no real value such as a weight or snorkel I wouldn't waste a bunch of time looking for the owner.

Vercingetorix
07-20-2007, 14:44
I think Larry had the best response. He surfaced with a knife he found on the bottom. He shouted to a group of divers, "Did anybody lose a knife?" A diver responded, "Yeah, I did."

Larry's response: Cool, wanna sell the sheath?

http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley15.gif

skdvr
07-20-2007, 14:47
I think Larry had the best response. He surfaced with a knife he found on the bottom. He shouted to a group of divers, "Did anybody lose a knife?" A diver responded, "Yeah, I did."

I like that response too...

Phil

Harshal
07-20-2007, 14:52

I like that response too...

Phil

It was as is item..........lol.

TxHockeyGuy
07-20-2007, 15:00
If there is any sort of a lost and found at say a dive park it goes there. Else I make a best effort to find the owner within reason, asking around, maybe posting on ScubaBoard or I guess now here too. So far I've only pulled up a slate and a snorkel, I found the owner of the slate and the snorkel went to lost and found.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 22:56
At a local scuba park I thought I found the find of a lifetime but it was only a manequin the owners had placed there as a joke. It is funny now but not so funny at the time.

picxie
07-20-2007, 23:01
I've never found anything however I imagine if I did I would leave it with the boat charter or local dive shop. Unless it was something valuable I probably wouldn't spend time trying to find the owner.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:28
i like larrys response

the gooch
07-22-2007, 15:49
Don't think I would bother calling around to find the owner of a lost snorkel, now if it was anything of significant value (like a speargun) I would post on local boards and maybe let the local dive shops know in case it was one of their customers.

Moxie
07-22-2007, 16:33
High dollar items I contact local dive shops and SB. Other minor stuff (2 lb weights etc) are just part of the lost gear equilibrium. I've lost minor stuff and found minor stuff. All seems to work out in the end.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:16
If I find a suitcase loaded with money, I am calling the dive immediately and not saying a word to anyone. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 23:34
as an environmentally friendly diver, i think you should recycle the suitcase of money into new scuba gear.

comet24
08-15-2007, 01:23
I found a snorkel the last time I was at the quarry I dive. Just bought it up and left it on the dock where most enter/exit.

cummings66
08-15-2007, 07:07
I'd say it depends. So far almost everything I've found has gone back to it's owner or the dive shop.

dallasdivergirl
08-15-2007, 08:37
I found a pocket size new testatment bible in Roatan in about 40 feet of water. I don't think anyone was looking for it.

WV Diver
08-15-2007, 08:42
I try to find the owner if it they are on the boat/in the area. Otherwise I keep it for students to use if they forgot or don't have one.

torrey
08-15-2007, 08:46
The only things I've found on dives are a mask and a couple of weights. The mask just happened to belong to a member of our group who was on another boat who was at the same site about an hour earlier. We all did our surface interval at the same place so when I announced I had found a mask, I was surprised to find out it was one of our own.

The weights happened to belong to members of my own boat who had just lost them and didn't realize it yet.

uzzell20
08-15-2007, 09:07
i like larrys responce, i dive the state park in panama city regularly, you can always find masks and snokels as well as all the lead you can imagine due to the fact that so many classes go here as well, if it is actually something of value try to contact the owner witihin reason, other thatn that, hey its always good to have backups

Rockhound76
08-15-2007, 10:00
Uzzell,

I was diving St. Andrews two weeks ago with my 14yr. old. Great place. We found a Jet fin at 60', but based on the barnacle encrustation, it was too late to find the owner.

My son lost his snorkle that same day. He got a new one and now wears it like I do; on his leg under his knife strap. I ALMOST lost my flag, as a fisherman snagged it and tried hauling me in. The hook was low enough that i ascended an cut his line. (what? he was casting at my flag?)

We find gear at the Blue Lagoon, near Huntsville, TX almost every time we go there. The fun is in finding it, not keeping it, so I always try to find the owner. If it's a snorkel or weightbelt I don't go further than asking the nearest DI if anyone in his/her class lost anything.

If were to be a nice mask or knife, I'd spend more time looking around, but mostly we find small stuff. My son's weightbelt is a "find" from about 10 years ago.

Foo2
08-15-2007, 11:59
At a local scuba park I thought I found the find of a lifetime but it was only a manequin the owners had placed there as a joke. It is funny now but not so funny at the time.

That's a terrible joke!:smiley5:

Black-Gorrilla
08-15-2007, 12:30
last weekend when i surfaced, im swiming to the boat, and i see a snorkel at about 25-30 ft under me... so i yell out "cpt. Dan, anyone loose a red snorkel?" he said yes, so i went down, grabbed it, and got on the boat.
i also found 2 2lb weights, hard lead... and that is in my room now.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 12:51
We found 3 weight pockets on our last liveaboard trip. We brought them all back to the boat, but only one belonged to a diver on our boat. Ironically, it was soon after that my husband decided to sell his Seaquest BC and buy a Ranger....hmmm, think finding $75+ of weight pockets on the bottom made him remember losing one of his on a previous trip (and what a hassle it was replacing it)?? ;)

Splitlip
08-15-2007, 21:50
My only cavern dive at Ginnie Springs I found an 80cf tank and regulator just inside the entrance to a cave. It had a guys name on it.
I brought it up and asked around for the guy the entire weekend but never found him. So I brought it home.

dmdoss
08-15-2007, 22:19
I was diving with a insta buddy, his light dropped out of his bc pocket. So I put it on my wrist. Then an hour after he knew he lost it, he figured out it was on my wrist.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-15-2007, 22:19
like everyone is saying hand it in to the lost and found or throw up a thread on a scuba related forum.

RECDiver
08-16-2007, 07:32
I have found dozens of masks, mask/snorkels, weight belts, weights, a dive flag (u/w), dive lights, dive knives, fins and not one item had a name or ID of any kind on them.

freediver
08-16-2007, 15:22
Over the years, I have found enough stuff to open a small dive store. Stop by and see if there is anything you have lost! 20% off this week only! :smiley36:

Splitlip
08-17-2007, 11:19
My only cavern dive at Ginnie Springs I found an 80cf tank and regulator just inside the entrance to a cave. It had a guys name on it.
I brought it up and asked around for the guy the entire weekend but never found him. So I brought it home.

Forgot to mention. The same dive there was a long string going into the cave. I thought it could be an entanglement hazard for somebody so I decided I should coil it up and remove it like we do monofilament in the ocean.
I followed the string into the cave looking for the other end and I could not believe my luck. It was attached to an almost new Dive Rite reel!!
Funny thing, it had the same initials inked on it as the guy who lost the tank.
I was able to just wind up the string on my way out and make the cave safer for everybody.
The guy who left the reel and lost the tank must be pretty careless. Shame on him. At least I did the right thing and was rewarded for it.

Splitlip
08-17-2007, 22:19

Forgot to mention. The same dive there was a long string going into the cave. I thought it could be an entanglement hazard for somebody so I decided I should coil it up and remove it like we do monofilament in the ocean.
I followed the string into the cave looking for the other end and I could not believe my luck. It was attached to an almost new Dive Rite reel!!
Funny thing, it had the same initials inked on it as the guy who lost the tank.
I was able to just wind up the string on my way out and make the cave safer for everybody.
The guy who left the reel and lost the tank must be pretty careless. Shame on him. At least I did the right thing and was rewarded for it.

These cool little tidly winks were attached to the string. They had the guys initials on them too.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/DIR/linearrows.jpg
(Come on people):smiley5:

unclepooty
08-18-2007, 07:22
Forgive me I'm a newbie, and not trained in cave diving, but is there any chance that there was somebody still in there???

Zenagirl
08-18-2007, 08:22
LOL....YES, that's what he was trying to get at..... (it just wasn't that funny....sorry). ;)

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 11:52
Forgive me I'm a newbie, and not trained in cave diving, but is there any chance that there was somebody still in there???

I suppose that is possible, but I can't say for sure as I was never able to get a hold of him to return his stuff.

unclepooty
08-18-2007, 12:11
Again, I have to apologize. I thought (based on some of your other posts you seem like quite a cut up) that you were joking about this, and wanted someone to catch you at it. From articles I've read, don't cave divers sometimes leave extra tanks along the way just in case? Once again I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 14:44
Again, I have to apologize. I thought (based on some of your other posts you seem like quite a cut up) that you were joking about this, and wanted someone to catch you at it. From articles I've read, don't cave divers sometimes leave extra tanks along the way just in case? Once again I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Yeah. Zenagirl got it.
I was surprised nobody said anything sooner.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 14:45
LOL....YES, that's what he was trying to get at..... (it just wasn't that funny....sorry). ;)

I thought it was:smilie39: funny!

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 23:18
We always check at the front desk if we're diving the local quarries if anyone reported something lost...if after a few days no one claims it, it can either be yours (or get cleaned and go into the rental gear pile!)

It's only the right thing to do! We all know how much this stuff costs!

cummings66
08-19-2007, 18:49
I found a class ring yesterday. I took it home and got out the phone book and started calling the names that matched the ring. Got it on the first call, the mother told me he had just got it and hadn't had it for more than 24 hours before he lost it.

I met the boy today and returned the ring as it was at the place I'm currently diving at. He gave me a $25 gift card for Applebee's, a nice touch. I was going to tell him I didn't want anything and give him a speech about passing it forwards, so to speak. I really didn't want anything in return but he seemed pretty determined to reward me and went though some effort to get the card.

He was happy to get it back and I felt good.