PDA

View Full Version : What to Tip the Training DM

Vercingetorix
07-20-2007, 14:13
This is semi-related to another thread (http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=452); however, that thread was more focused on DMs on divetrips.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What do you tip a DM who has been with you during training (OW, AOW, Rescue, whatever)? I usually go with about $20 if they've been there for pool sessions and lake sessions. Maybe more if the lake sessions are especially long. Sometimes, there's a DM-candidate or Instructor-candidate. I'll tip these folks depending upon level of involvement.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Your thoughts??</DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 14:41
Geez, I wish you were around when I was DMing. We never received tips. I guess it's not practiced much today either because when I did my dry suit review with an instructor a few months ago, I tipped him and he looked at me like I was crazy.

TommyB
07-20-2007, 15:55
I'll not post what $$$ i tipped last weekend to our DM in training.
but let's just say for some reason she started crying.

I seldom use an type of rule (maybe a guideline) but I tip what I feel it was worth to me. If I feel it was worth $$$.00 that's what I tip :)..
After all, they did not let me drown----or drown anyone else ---

tommy //

Joew
07-20-2007, 21:56
I'll not post what $$$ i tipped last weekend to our DM in training.
but let's just say for some reason she started crying.

Were they tears of joy or sadness? smileys/smiley36.gif I've DMed with students quite a few times, and there isn't any sort of norm as far as tipping goes. A lot of times there is no tip form students. Sometimes I'll be tipped $20 or so at the end of the course. I think that's a good tip, especially if they helped you out alot.

Joew
07-20-2007, 22:02
I almost forgot. Instead of giving them a tip you can just buy a round of beers for the instructor and DM. Most DMs accept tips in the form of cash, lager, and ale. smileys/smiley36.gif

TommyB
07-20-2007, 23:18
[QUOTE=ntburchf]
Were they tears of joy or sadness? smileys/smiley36.gif I've DMed with students quite a few times, and there isn't any sort of norm as far as tipping goes. A lot of times there is no tip form students. Sometimes I'll be tipped $20 or so at the end of the course. I think that's a good tip, especially if they helped you out alot.

That does read kinda of both ways huh..
It was Joy tears.
Something about restoring faith in the diving community.
She really did not want to cash the check.
(maybe it was a little much, but that's just me)..

For 2 days as a saftey net, I thought she earned every $$$.
I gave her $200.00 if you must know. (Told her to go buy some new diving goodies :) )..

As mentioned, to me there is not a rule for tips (just guidelines), I tip what I feel they earned / deserved.
On a cattle boat / what-have-ya, if they just shove ya off the edge, send ya on your way, that's a little differnt. But in training etc, I don't mind spending the extra when I feel they went the extra.

And if my wife lives through the training, and there's a Dm in training there I'm sure my wife will take care of them also. Just they way we both are.

Tommy //

Joew
07-20-2007, 23:36
Wow, she must have been a great DM. Either that or really good looking. smileys/smiley36.gif

TommyB
07-20-2007, 23:43
Oh,
and bring a case of Spaten or Dortmunder for the instructors to drink.
They'll be your bestest buddies for life.. Something about German imports and DM's just seem to go together..

She was/is a great DM. Lot of advice, pointers, on the spot every time whenever someone needed something, etc etc...Just in general what I will call someone that knows how to work / instruct people.

I did not tip the instructors in $$$, they drank all the beer :)
(but remember, what happens at the lake, stays at the lake)

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 23:54
I never thought of tipping in a case like this.

techgnostic
07-21-2007, 03:16
I never thought of tipping in a case like this.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It depends on the region you live in. In NYC, tipping was normal for just about everything, when we move to NOLA, it stopped people in their tracks. If two people were involved, the junior one would look at the senior one as if to say "what the hell is happening?". The upshot is, if you get the urge to tip, do...even if you aren't sure its expected.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 08:49
I did not tip the instructors in $$$, they drank all the beer I don't either, because they're paid. In fact, my OW instructor told us not to do so. Our OW DM (Kerry of ST) even cooked breakfast on the first day andfajitas the second day for us. The food expense was not reimbursed; it came outta his pocket. I contributed to the food fund (over his very strenuous objections) and tipped him (he was a wonderful DM). Also, the lake water was mid-40's; he didn't "have" to be there, he was a volunteer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>During AOW, I tipped the DM (Sean) and DM-candidate (PlatypusMan). Both made the dives fun and had great interval time stories to tell.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 11:44
I guess a safething to do would be to bringa bottle of rum for afterthe diving and everone will be happy

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 11:48
So, I can tip with beer? Excellent! I'll remember that next time.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But, please, NO LITE. I'm bringing the Adams (or for real men, Guinness)</DIV>

frankc420
07-21-2007, 11:53
$200? I'd cry too :)

Venio
07-21-2007, 19:50
...She was/is a great DM. Lot of advice, pointers, on the spot every time whenever someone needed something, etc etc...

I have to disagree here. You were at least witness of what happened with me.

PlatypusMan
07-21-2007, 23:41
<div> I'll tip these folks depending upon level of involvement.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Your thoughts??</div>

Your system is perfectly fine in my opinion.

While at a class, I believe I am obligated to do my utmost to help the class to the best of my abilities and training to have fun, practice the newly learned material and gain confidence in their skills and performance of what they have learned.

I'd like to believe that I do a fair job as a TA.

This, of course, under the overall supervision and leadership of the designated class instructor, by whose indulgence I am allowed to participate as a TA and DM Candidate.

I look at tips as something given to help offset my costs of being there--and NO ONE IS OBLIGATED to give me one at any time. Anytime one is given me, I hope that I have earned it from my actions and what I brought to the table for the class...and I thank everyone who has chosen to give me one. To a very real extent, I do what I do for the sheer love of this sport--I know few in SCUBA who work in this industry full time; we all have our day jobs to pay the bills...for them it's the same.

Hope that this helps!

unclepooty
07-22-2007, 07:13
i agree to follow your gut feelings on tipping, buying a few rounds, dinner, or whatever fits.

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 11:05
I did not tip the instructors in $$$, they drank all the beer I don't either, because they're paid. In fact, my OW instructor told us not to do so. Our OW DM (Kerry of ST) even cooked breakfast on the first day andfajitas the second day for us. The food expense was not reimbursed; it came outta his pocket. I contributed to the food fund (over his very strenuous objections) and tipped him (he was a wonderful DM). Also, the lake water was mid-40's; he didn't "have" to be there, he was a volunteer.
<div></div>
<div>During AOW, I tipped the DM (Sean) and DM-candidate (PlatypusMan). Both made the dives fun and had great interval time stories to tell.</div>

I don't know what it is about Kerry, he never seems to want to take tips and I have had to argue with him on that too. The only instructor I've tipped was my AOW instructor as he brought a ton of food and just generally made the trip a blast (Jeff Walters if you must know). I don't generally have a lot of money so my tips probably aren't that great (certainly not $200!!!) but I do what I can.

3rdEye
07-23-2007, 21:22
never thought of tipping instructors.....thoughI would gladly buy beers for the guys I got certified with....

3rdEye
07-23-2007, 21:23
Oh,
and bring a case of Spaten or Dortmunder

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>DAB?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif</DIV>

TommyB
07-23-2007, 21:52
DAB?
What is DAB?

Sorry, Only dabble in Spaten, Dortmunder, and Dinkelauger
Only 3 beers I drink, and if you don't have that, then give me my
18 yr Single Malt Scotch :) (and not blended)..
Yea yea, so I'm a snob --hahahah

Or some might even call me a SOB :)

3rdEye
07-23-2007, 22:09
DAB = Dortmunder Actien Brauerei
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>great Dortmunder...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i'm quite a beer snob myself....and enjoy a nice single malt as well....and anejo tequila http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

TommyB
07-23-2007, 22:29
Ahhh,,
Dortmunder Union- :)