PDA

View Full Version : whats needed for the tropics?

chewyjr15
11-09-2007, 13:06
for cozumel in february. Full 2/3 mil shorty i want protection from the elements and the reefs?

fireflock
11-09-2007, 13:19
It depends on the person, but I would err on the side of too much neoprene. You'll see divers wearing nothing but a bathing suit, and you'll notice that the DM's usually wear 5mm or more. The more you're in the water, and the more relaxed you are underwater, the colder you will be.

Me, I'd use a 3mm full and a chicken vest. Many will probably say that a 3mm full will serve you well.

Rich

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 20:50
yep, a 3mm will do or even a 1.5mm, depending on your temp tolerance level.

thesmoothdome
11-09-2007, 21:23
In Feb. you're probably looking at high 70s water temps. For multi-day repetative diving I'd have a full 3/2 + a 3 mil cheater vest + a 3 mil beanie. Like fireflock said, err on the side of too much neoprene. Very few divers complain of being "too warm," but "too cold" ruins the fun.

Illini_Fan
11-09-2007, 21:51
I was down there in early March of this year, water was 81 for each dive. I was in a full 3/2 and kept letting water in to cool off. If I was going in Feb, I'd bring the 3/2 and my core warmer (is that a cheater, not familiar with that term?).

chewyjr15
11-09-2007, 23:39
so i would be ok with lets say the bear 3mm thats on sale now. The bear brigade?

kyfriedchipper
11-09-2007, 23:52
I don't mind being cold - so a 3mm shorty works great for me

Aussie
11-10-2007, 06:32
I was in Thailand last year there was several European instructors and DM's working on the liveaboards (couple are good friends). One guy was diving in a 7mm semi-dry in 28-30c (82-86f) water. I have seen this kind of thing in Vanuatu, Indonesia and Fiji.

I dive in board shorts and a fleece top rashie (Sharkskin) gloves and a 3mm flexi hood. I find it enough for me and also the other Aussies that were working over there.

Another thing to think about is thermoclines in the tropics. Some places (Indonesia, Thailand etc etc) have warm clear water and its 30c/86f and then a thermocline rolls in and the temp drops down to 22c/77f. This is not a good place to be in board shorts.

Also stingers (jellyfish, sea lice, blue bottles) can be an issue and this is where you wish you have a full suit even if its a 1.5mm.

I start to get cold around the 90min mark. I find the hood a great option for diving in any water temp even in warm tropical waters.

Next week I am diving in Vanuatu in 28c/82f water and I will be wear my 5mm farmer johns bottoms and my fleece long arm rashie and my 3mm hood and gloves. It will protect me from stingers, keep me warm enough for long dives and protect me from rusty old ship wrecks and coral.

Aussie

Xspect
11-10-2007, 08:21
I sau with a 3/2 full suit you'll be fine

ertechsg
11-10-2007, 09:13
Unless your 100lbs of skin and bones a 3mil will be fine. Besides when the Sharks start bumping you your blood will warm up:smiley36:

BuzzF117
11-14-2007, 16:28
For the Carribean in Feb im taking 3/2 full and 3/2 shorty figure if full isn't enough I can add the shorty for extra core warmth and prob will take drysuit hood just incase since I hate hoods with bibs. I would rather be to warm, then to cold any day.

buzz

mitsuguy
11-14-2007, 17:17
hmmmm.... I wore either trunks or a 2 mil shorty in April last year... My wife, who is cold blooded wore just her bathing suit as well...

I think if I was diving every day for some period of time, 3 mil full, or even a 1 mil full would be plenty... but everyone is different... I just dove Lake Mead, 73 degrees, with the same 2 mil shorty and was just a little chilly - my wife was too cold in the same water with a 3 mil though, so, it depends...

Splitlip
11-14-2007, 17:31
In Feb. you're probably looking at high 70s water temps. For multi-day repetative diving I'd have a full 3/2 + a 3 mil cheater vest + a 3 mil beanie. Like fireflock said, err on the side of too much neoprene. Very few divers complain of being "too warm," but "too cold" ruins the fun.

Yep. 3/2. full
And keep a beanie and vest with you. Cheap insurance