PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating New Diver Accomplishments

PsychDiver
11-09-2007, 15:01
I have a ships bell that divers ring to celebrate when successfully completing their open water, advanced open water or other certification course. I want to put a plaque on it with a short poem that encourages new divers, but I am not real creative. So I am asking for your help in coming up with a short lyric to inspire them. Something like,

"Ye who have learned to dive well,
have earned the right to ring the bell."

but perhaps not so corny. Your help would be greatly appreciated. If your poem is selected, I will send you one of ST knives they have on their homepage. Thanks in advance for your help.

PlatypusMan
11-09-2007, 15:28
So I am asking for your help in coming up with a short lyric to inspire them.

We set sail on this new sea because there is knowledge to be gained.
============

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came.

Both are from John F. Kennedy

PsychDiver
11-10-2007, 21:53
Thanks for the reply PlatypusMan. JFK is a great source for inspirational thoughts. But it looks like a lot of people are as uncreative as me. Not much action on getting help from the board members.

BuzzGA
11-11-2007, 11:58
Here's one that could work...
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. -- Jacques Yves Cousteau

DivingsInMyBlood
11-11-2007, 12:17
Here's one that could work...
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. -- Jacques Yves Cousteau

That doesnt sound half bad :smiley20:

PsychDiver
11-15-2007, 20:55
Well, after the few posts I realized that it may be best to change to focus of this thread to inspirational thoughts or quotes. So here are a few I hope others will enjoy:

Courage is the greatest of all the virtues, because if you do not have courage, you may not have the opportunity to use any of the others.
-Samual Johnson-

He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.
-Ben Johnson-

Some people want to homogenize society everywhere. I'm against homogenization in art, in politics, in every walk of life. I want the cream to rise.
-Robert Frost-

PlatypusMan
11-15-2007, 21:32
There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.
--Douglas Everett

PsychDiver
11-16-2007, 04:35
I could not at any age be content to take my place in a corner by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. One must never, for whatever reason, turn one's back on life.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-

PsychDiver
11-16-2007, 04:43
We are all blind until we see
That in the human plan
Nothing is worth the making if
It does not make the man.
Why build these cities glorious
If man unbuilded goes?
In vain we build the world, unless
The builder also grows.
-Edwin Markham-

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 12:46
I couldn't understand why more divers didn't offer up there opinion on a good lyric until I looked over and saw that the "What beer do you like" had over 200 posts. Can't compete with that!

thor
11-19-2007, 13:40
Here's a couple for your bell:

...for whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it’s always ourselves we find in the sea

-EE. Cummings

I must down to the seas again for the call of the running tide is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied.
- John Masefield

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 14:13
Thanks Thor - I like those! Anyone else belly up to bar and tell a story or two?

MagicCat4
11-20-2007, 16:16
Congratulations new divers on your accomplishments.
Learn from the mistakes of others,
you will not live long enough to make them all yourself

The last 2 lines are a safety phrase we used when I was in US Navy aviation in another lifetime

lemonquist
11-21-2007, 02:09
I must down to the seas again for the call of the running tide is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied.
- John Masefield

I thought of Masefield too, but you beat me to it!

PsychDiver
11-21-2007, 09:17
Hey Guys & Gals, Thanks for the posts. I am going to give this till after the Thanksgiving Holidays. The following Monday I will look at any other posts and let you know who gets the dive knife. While I may not use the quote you gave for the bell, I appreciate the help and will give the knife to the saying I felt was the best. Again, thanks for your input. :smiley31:

PsychDiver
11-27-2007, 08:38
PlatypusMan is our winner!! Ok, I looked them over and I liked this one the best. :smiley20:

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.
--Douglas Everett

Thanks for your entries. PlatypusMan, I will PM you and we can discuss how you want the dive knife sent to you.