PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with fog?

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 17:38
Hi guys,

when i bring my camera underwater, it fogged badly. the silica gel packets offer little help.

any tips and/or tricks from you guys?
thanks.

cheers.

FishFood
11-09-2007, 17:45
1) Clean the inside of the case.

2) Set up (put together) the camera in a low moisture area. (such as inside) Dont wait to get the camera ready on the boat/shore/parking lot...

If it still fogs there's probably a little bit of moisture coming in from somewhere.

MSilvia
11-09-2007, 17:55
Closing the case when you're in a low humidity (air conditioned) area can make all the difference.

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 18:44
Oh, since i've bought it till now, i have not wash it before. Hmm, probably i should wash it once :)

bperrybap
11-09-2007, 19:44
Turn the camera off when there are periods that you may not use it.
This is what I have to do with my Sealife.

--- bill

superkingkong
11-09-2007, 20:27

--- bill

this could be to conserve the battery life only, right?

bversteegh
11-10-2007, 18:43
try cleaning the entire inside with toothpaste (paste, not gel) - this will get rid of any chemicals left from manufacture.

Make sure your moisture packs have been kept dry, if they are left open in a humid environment, they are spoiled. Some brands change color to indicate when they are used.

As mentioned above - load the camera in the housing in a cool, dry area (airconditioned is best, as air is dehumidified).

turn off the internal flash if possible - the more heat you generate inside the housing, the bigger temperture difference between the air inside the housing and the outside, cooled by the water. The bigger the temp difference, more likely you'll get condensation.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 18:49
thanks for the great tip, bversteegh.
will sure to try it out.... thank a lot :)

rje634
11-10-2007, 19:24
This is what I use:
Anti Fog Dessicant Cap (10), Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, Anti Fog Dessicant Cap (10) (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SL911)

Are you using this type of dessicant? I've used the silica packs and these work much better. Also I agree with the others in that you need to set up your rig in a low humidity area like an air-conditioned room.
I set my camera up the night before and never open it after I've leak tested it. I've seen several cameras flood because people have opened them on the boat between dives..

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 21:45
This is what I use:
Anti Fog Dessicant Cap (10), Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, Anti Fog Dessicant Cap (10) (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SL911)

Are you using this type of dessicant? I've used the silica packs and these work much better. Also I agree with the others in that you need to set up your rig in a low humidity area like an air-conditioned room.
I set my camera up the night before and never open it after I've leak tested it. I've seen several cameras flood because people have opened them on the boat between dives..

I'm using the cheaper version of it :D
Desiccant Silica Gel Packs from Sea & Sea, Underwater Cameras, Sea & Sea, Desiccant Silica Gel Packs from Sea & Sea (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=62108)

i think i should give those dessicant cap a try.

NitroWill
11-10-2007, 21:49

--- bill

Not just that, it keeps the heat the camera produces and gives off down..

superkingkong
11-11-2007, 16:42

--- bill

Not just that, it keeps the heat the camera produces and gives off down..

thanks for the explanation :)