PDA

View Full Version : Dacor regs

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 14:30
I have Dacor regs and octo that are 15 years old. They are in great condition, but need to be serviced. If they pass service inspection, are they still safe to dive with? I trust them soo much, but I know age of regs is something I must consider.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:09
Mares owns the Dacor name now, so I'd assume kits are still available for service. If its serviced, it should be good to use. There are a lot of people who dive "vintage gear." I don't think a 15 year old reg is too old at all if it's properly serviced by a qualified technician.

cummings66
07-20-2007, 16:41
My LDS told me that the old (read good) Dacor regs were killed off by Mares ceasing the supply of rebuild kits. In fact there used to be a trade in program to get you to switch out the old Dacor regs for newer versions. I don't know that the parts will be easy to get if my LDS is correct.
<DIV>That could be what he told us as a reason to not buy Dacor for all I know.</DIV>

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 17:49
that is interesting--please let me know if you hear anything else about that.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 17:52
Perhaps we can get this topic moved to the Mares mfg. section and get an answer from the experts?

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 17:58
that works big time, BUT, should I start a new thread or is their a way to move this whole topic over?

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 18:00
Larry or Joe should be able to move the whole thread over. Now all we have to do is get their attention *waves arms*

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 18:22
LARRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
<DIV>JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I hope they heard me---lol</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 18:57
Ok guys... here's the story on this topic.. And special thanks to thesmoothdome for pointing this out to me. (By the way... why did you pick that name?smileys/smiley36.gif)

Anyway... Dacor was a pretty good company back in the day. But really, they ran into a few major problems. Their design team started making things more and more complex, to where they had about a gillion parts in some of their regs, and every time they came out with a new reg, they would design it so it required all new internal parts. Companies like Zeagle have learned from this, and the rebuild kit for any of their regs is interchangeable...

Anyway, due to the economy, their marketing etc... they started slipping in sales, and in short order, they were in a huge financial hurt. One thing they did near the end was sell off all of their tooling for the older regs. Then, on the verge of bankruptcy, Mares, (actually Head Sports - the parent company of Mares, and also the Head sports of tennis fame) came in and bought their name and all remaining stock and parts.

After doing so, they discovered that Dacor had stripped the company to the bone before the sale, so mares basically had a name and not much else. At that point - to retool in order to make parts for regulators that in the beginning were not well designed, and there are not that many still in the market, would be a ridiculously expensive venture with no return on investment.

So the bad news is, unless some guy sitting in a little dive shop somewhere has a pile of parts that fits your particular regulator, there are no rebuild parts available.

Mares realized this was not the best situation, and some people were really soured by the Dacor name - so they scaled down that line and re-focused their energy on new Mares products instead. To attempt to appease the folks that had old dacor regs, they ran a trade in program where you could send in your old regulator and get a credit toward a new mares reg.

When you look at the cost of buying the parts, and paying the labor to have the old reg serviced - it was not much more to end up with a brand new mares reg with 15 years better technology, and no parts availability issues.

That program is outlined here: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/dacortradeup.pdf

As you will see, that program ended September of last year, but for any of the members on our board - I will still honor it, and pay the difference out of our pocket as Mares no longer gives us credit on these.

I hope that explains the situation, and if anyone wants to talk to us about a specific situation, please don't hesitate to call or pm me personally.

And if you guys ever have a thread like this going that you cannot get an answer to from our other members, please, as thesmoothdome did, drop me a PM and I'll have the answer - or get it for you.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 19:05
Wow! Now that was a response! Thanks for the clarification. Wish I had an old Dacor reg lying around. That's really quite a generous offer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BTW, the avatar pic is me in a bald wig. I really have long flowing locks down to the middle of my back http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif.Ok...maybe not, but I remember what hair is like. I think. </DIV>

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 19:34
unbelievable---you guys are too good. I will be in contact soon Larry. Thank you again for all your support.
<DIV></DIV>

Judestudio
07-20-2007, 19:44
...As you will see, that program ended September of last year, but for any of the members on our board - I will still honor it, and pay the difference out of our pocket as Mares no longer gives us credit on these.
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifWow! What are we going to do without you, Larry! Long live Scubatoys!!</DIV>

cummings66
07-22-2007, 15:47
I knew based talks with my LDS that he really liked the old Mare regulators and he was upset at the direction the old company took, so much so he dropped them and now has nothing good to say of them even though it's not really the same company.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's like Zenith televisions, they're not the Zenith of old anymore either. Things change all the time, sometimes for the better and sometimes not. I'll commend Larry on his offer, very generous.</DIV>

creggur
07-22-2007, 16:33
Unbelievable!!!!!

Larry, your dedication to customer satisfaction never ceases to amaze!!!

Which explains my sigsmileys/smiley20.gif

the gooch
07-22-2007, 17:35
Thank you for clearing that up.

Black-Gorrilla
07-22-2007, 19:54
wow, this is customer service beyond any i have ever seen... first i read what you guys did for someone(scuba board) with a mares nemo watch problem.... now this.
after i had an order mishap and you guys called me up to help me out i was like "this is the place to shop" then i read these two other posts...
you guys are too much.

downunder
07-23-2007, 19:32
I was aware of the 'upgrade' that Mares was doing last year, but in my current budget - it didn' t seem worth giving up my rigs. I currently have two sets (one DIN and one Yoke) of the Dacor Extreme Plus regs. I have been very happy with them and have had no problems. Yeah, I am worried about the availability of rebuild kits, but I guess I'll cross that road next year...

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 12:01
The part that really sucks is that in the rebuild kits that arent made anymore, you can buy most of it at the hardware store. Mainly a bunch of o- rings and a zip tie. The things you can't buy, which are normally what cause a reg to fail are the seats and the filters. kind of sad that so many regs are going int he dumpster due to a lack of little tiny rubber chunks and metal mesh discs.

poseidon8118
07-31-2007, 00:08
I still have my Dacor Pacers done at Scuba Emporium here in Chicago. This shop is one of the oldest in the country and has the new old stock parts. It use to be one of the "Berry Scuba" shops back in the day. Berry and Pat split up awhile ago and Pats still going strong. You can call or email them to see if they have the parts in stock for you.

http://www.scubaemporium.com/Default.aspx

poseidon8118
07-31-2007, 00:15
http://www.scubaemporium.com/Equipment-Service.aspx

Quick Link for Service of older Dacors...Call or email them first to see if the parts are avaliable. They are for my Pacers...

plot
07-31-2007, 18:51
I knew based talks with my LDS that he really liked the old Mare regulators and he was upset at the direction the old company took, so much so he dropped them and now has nothing good to say of them even though it's not really the same company.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's like Zenith televisions, they're not the Zenith of old anymore either. Things change all the time, sometimes for the better and sometimes not. I'll commend Larry on his offer, very generous.</DIV>

My LDS used to carry dacor and basically the same thing happened. Dropped them all togethor after everything that went on... they still have a bin of service parts though and try to service as many of them as they can. Supplies have been running slow for along time though.

People normally don't object to being told they have to buy a new reg to replace the 15 year old dated one... "the store told me I had to do it" is a good excuse to tell the wife.

WalkinPaul
12-10-2007, 21:56
Ok guys...

As you will see, that program ended September of last year, but for any of the members on our board - I will still honor it, and pay the difference out of our pocket as Mares no longer gives us credit on these.

Wow, is this still going Larry? I have a Dacor Eagle, Dacor Eagle Octo and some model of Dacor First stage, but Have no idea what year they are. The first stage says "EN250" AND "232 Bar" cast on the yoke and "DES1015S" written on the body. (I think the last letter is an S, it could be a 5, 6 or 8). It also says "CE0426" on the body. I have no idea how old they are. I can send you a picture.

ScubaToys Larry
12-10-2007, 21:59
Dacor Eagles are current Mares manufactured items... but if you want to send a picture of the other stuff, I'll check it out!

LostnVA
12-12-2007, 09:56
Does the Dacor Quantum qualify for a Mares upgrade? I've had it since 92, I believe.

davepoff
12-16-2007, 22:04
I have a bought in 2001 Dacor Viper Reg set with Viper Octo. Does Mares have the rebuild kits for them? I see the Viper Octo advertised but I think the 1st stage I have is a Dacor Sport.

danielh03
12-17-2007, 00:24
I have Dacor regs and octo that are 15 years old. They are in great condition, but need to be serviced. If they pass service inspection, are they still safe to dive with? I trust them soo much, but I know age of regs is something I must consider.

My first dive was with a set of Dacor. I asked the Instructor how old they were and he replied about 15 yrs old. He owns a LDS, and said he services them himself. (I trush him on that because he is certified). They dove great, but had a bit of a whilstle/buzz on the surface.

Garrobo
12-18-2007, 10:58
My first reg set was a Dacor 950 first stage and a couple XLE Pacer seconds. I bought them used two years ago and had them rebuilt at my local LDS and put about 50 dives on them with no problems. I bought a set of new Oceanics a couple of months ago and am keeping the Dacors. Within one month the Oceanic first stage was recalled for a defective high pressure seat. Got it back, went diving and the second stage started breathing wet. Sent the whole outfit in to the manufacturer, got it back in time to go diving again last week. Worked OK. But next dive, the Oceanics will be along as backups, the Dacors will be my primary regs from now on. I have bought about a dozen Dacor first and second regs as a curiosity along with a BRUT reg set for my pony bottle on Ebay. Mistake. The BRUT has an intentional small air leak built into the first stage. Can't have that going on when attached to a 19cf pony. I have also found and bought quite a few Dacor parts, including O-rings and diaqhragms, along with complete rebuild kits on Ebay at reasonable prices.