PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City Area Dive Club Name

RoadRacer1978
11-09-2007, 20:10
It has been very hard to narrow the names down for a poll and voting. You guys and gals came up with some really great names. Since the poll limits me to only ten names and we had over 20 submissions it wasn't easy to narrow it down. I really feel like ten names would be too many to chose from and we wouln't get a clear winner so I have narrowed it down to my top 5. This has been a difficult task. If anyone really liked one of the names submitted in the other thread, feel free to put in a write in vote. I'm just trying to get things organized, but this is our club, not mine. If you don't like the direction we are going, let me know. So please vote in the poll above and if your pick isn't on the list, feel free to do a write in vote.

You can vote for more than one name if you realy are having a hard time deciding, but p[lease don't just vote for all 5. That would make my job really hard. :(

Voting will be open for 5 days, and 5 days only. Wed Night voting will close and I'll announce the winner. Then on to the next step of setting up a webpage and we can really get things rolling then.

hoop
11-09-2007, 20:19
As Roadracer has graciously accepted the challenge, time and effort to form a club, I elect to make a motion to nominate him as President, Chairman, CEO, Grand Poobah, whatever the hell we want to call it....! Do I hear anyone second the motion??

RoadRacer1978
11-09-2007, 20:22
Thanks Hoop. Sounds like an easy job that pays well. LOL

hoop
11-09-2007, 20:24
Just think of the benefits package, man...... And when you resign or retire, that "Golden Parachute" you'll get that all the big CEO's get! :smiley36:

RoadRacer1978
11-09-2007, 20:27
And when you resign or retire :smiley36:

You forgot "Get overthrown by mutinous members". :smilie39:

Really I am happy to do this. I think it will be a fun experience and I'll make some good friends in the process. I am looking foward to getting this all going and getting together and diving with everyone.

mpd525
11-09-2007, 21:35
i second it hoop. Although i'm angry none of my name ideas made it. That being said i retract my motion and nominate hoop. LOL

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 05:41
i second it hoop. Although i'm angry none of my name ideas made it. That being said i retract my motion and nominate hoop. LOL

Sorry I didn't use any of your suggestions. Oklahoma Divers and Mud Magnets was a good one and I had a hard time deciding which 5 to put in the poll. With the option of write in voting I didn't truly leave any of the suggestions out. :)

redneckdiver52
11-10-2007, 07:02
Hey guys, I don't know if I have said this yet but I am stationed overseas currently but am interested in the club you are forming. I live in Moore but I won't get back until late fall 08'. Is this going to be a group of divers or a full outright club with access to tanks and what not. Are there going to be dues? I would really appreciate more information but I am not always able to log on, so the best way to reach me is through PM.

Thanks for all the help.

Redneckdiver52

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 08:27
PM Sent.

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 15:31
If anyone else has any questions about the staring of the club and where it is going, don't hesitate to contact me. You may have some ideas that I haven't thought about. If we all work together we can make this something that will be enjoyed by all.

Aspendiver
11-10-2007, 17:25
I have no business being on this thread, but it popped up in NEW POSTS.

Did anyone ever suggest just "Sooner Dive", as in, I'd sooner dive than do anything else?
Don't do OK. Lake Divers- the acronym is OLD

Sorry for buttin in.....:smiley2:

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 17:30
Thats OK. No. Sooner Dive wasn't suggested. I like that one.

Soonerwink
11-10-2007, 22:03
Sooner Dive would be my choice, but some of the zero state fans might not go for it. You must be politically correct.

redneckdiver52
11-11-2007, 07:21
Sooner Dive would be my choice, but some of the zero state fans might not go for it. You must be politically correct.

You're darn tootin' about that!:smiley36:

Ohmdiver
11-11-2007, 10:11
Dirt Pirates!

I will officially "second" roadracer as president 0of the club to be named at a later...

RoadRacer1978
11-12-2007, 14:52
Just a quick update to all interested in the OKC area dive club. Thanks to DiveSooner I have made contact with an instructor that is interested in membership in the club and providing continuing ed training for members. Wanted to let everyone know about the progress.

Now, we need more votes. I hope everyone interested will give their opinion on a name.

RoadRacer1978
11-12-2007, 18:29
Just 10 voters so far. Any more takers?

Ohmdiver
11-12-2007, 20:34
I would vote again if you let me!!!!:smiley19:

RoadRacer1978
11-12-2007, 20:38
No clear winner. I was hoping we would get several voters and hopefully have some type of a winner. As it is right now it is really a three way tie. Oh well, got a few more days, things could turn around. :)

Ohmdiver
11-12-2007, 20:53
I am here to help.... well sort of....

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 09:26
You are helping OhmDiver. Everytime you post it gives the trhread a bump and more people see it. Hopefully we can get more votes just through this exposure.

I'm really getting excited about this club taking off. I can't wait to get things started. I ready to start building the webpage and start getting our club some exposure.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 09:47
I sent a PM to everyone that has their location in the OKC area. If you are located in the OKC area and did not list your location in you profile, I did not send you a PM, but feel free to vote. Times running out. Make your voice heard by voting.

TRACI
11-13-2007, 09:57
I like Dirty Water Dive Society:) It is tough coming up with a name, our group has also been trying to come up with a name and logo.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:02
I like Dirty Water Dive Society:) It is tough coming up with a name, our group has also been trying to come up with a name and logo.

It is very tough. My favorite is Dirty Water Dive Society as well. I like that it is a creative name, but shouldn't offend anyone. I also like that it is not just a plain name. I am hoping this one takes it, but it is really not up to me. I will go with what the group choses. I may be spearheading the efforts to get things going, but it is our club, not mine. :)

skippy11
11-13-2007, 10:03
Hey Guys,
I think this is an awesome Idea!! I am not actually from OKC area, but closer to Durant (Texas Boarder). Anyways, I think it would be great to be part of something like this even if I am a few hours away. I like the Sooner Dive name which was suggested earlier, but I will vote from the ones on the poll! :-)

Great Job for all your hard work!!

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:12
The Sooner name is great, I see no problem with it. Oklahoma is the Sooner state, but for all the crazy sports fans out there they may not want a name that they think refers to the OU Sooners.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:13
Hey Guys,
I think this is an awesome Idea!! I am not actually from OKC area, but closer to Durant (Texas Boarder). Anyways, I think it would be great to be part of something like this even if I am a few hours away. I like the Sooner Dive name which was suggested earlier, but I will vote from the ones on the poll! :-)

Great Job for all your hard work!!

Everyone is welcome. I am not exactly from the OKC area either. When we get things rolling and have some dives planned anyone wishing to attend will be welcome.

dallasdivergirl
11-13-2007, 10:28
As a former (and still an) Okie at heart, I have to go with Dirty Water Dive Society. I grew up on lake Texoma so I know there is lots of dirty water. Even as a O State fan I would be ok with a Dive Sooner as long as there was no OU symbols or crimson/cream color scheme.

If you guys dive in the south end of the state I will have to come & visit.

Can I get an honorary membership?

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:37
As a former (and still an) Okie at heart, I have to go with Dirty Water Dive Society. I grew up on lake Texoma so I know there is lots of dirty water. Even as a O State fan I would be ok with a Dive Sooner as long as there was no OU symbols or crimson/cream color scheme.

If you guys dive in the south end of the state I will have to come & visit.

Can I get an honorary membership?

Of couse you can get an honorary membership..... Once we get things going I will be planning some dives to Lake Murray and Lake Elmer Thomas. Both these lakes are closer for everyone in OKC to drive than Tenkiller. I like Lake Tenkiller, but you really can't just drive there for a day of diving and then drive back home. It is such a far drive you almost have to plan it as at least an overnight trip. Where Lake Murray and Elmer Thomas can easily be a day trip. We may also do a few trips down to your neck of the woods and check out CSSP. I am interested in checking out some of the other lakes around for diving. I have been to Veterans Lake in Sulphur, OK and snorkeled there before I had my dive gear. I remember the water was failry clear and would be good for diving. I plan on checking it out again and see what the conditions are now, several years later, and may plan on taking the group there as well.

I'll keep everyone posted on our efforts and planned dives. Once we get a name and start getting going I'll see if Larry might give us our own place here to post information and have discussions. Anyone who is willing to make the trip will be welcome to dive with us. :)

94GTStang
11-13-2007, 10:37
I like Sooner Sludge diver. That about sums us up.

Of course I do like all the above options. There is already a lakediver group Lake Diver - Bringing light to another way of diving. (http://lakediver.com/)

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:41

Of course I do like all the above options. There is already a lakediver group Lake Diver - Bringing light to another way of diving. (http://lakediver.com/)

Yes there is, and their offering at a name for the club was Oklahoma Lake Divers, so I don't think they would mind if we used that one. I think we okies should be proud of the guys at lakediver.com (located in Cushing, OK) as they show everyone that diving is not just limited to the oceans and tropical paradise.

Lake Diver
11-13-2007, 11:29

Yeah, but we are not a dive club, just an information source and merchandise source, and are partial to the name Oklahoma Lake Divers, of course!! :smiley20:

94GTStang
11-13-2007, 18:28
Sweet! I didn't know that they had a part in this. I guess I should read all of the thread.

I'm just glad to see someone coming up with a dive club for OKC.

mpd525
11-13-2007, 21:16
i guess us okies from muskogee are just chopped beef for the "OKC Club". Guess i'll have to start my own. LOL

chace_nicole
11-13-2007, 21:27
Dirty Water Dive Society in the lead! :)

Lake Diver
11-13-2007, 23:06

Who wants to dive in dirty water though!!?? :smiley11:

Sounds like dirty dishwater stank water!!! :13344-6:

:smilie39:

chace_nicole
11-13-2007, 23:11

Who wants to dive in dirty water though!!?? :smiley11:

Sounds like dirty dishwater stank water!!! :13344-6:

:smilie39:

Not me! I want to dive in pretty, tropical waters...but dive the hand your dealt right;)

Lake Diver
11-13-2007, 23:15
Oh come on, Lake Tenkiller is VERY tropical....you must have missed the palm trees....
:ednana:

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 08:13
Oh, the green coral is everywhere at Tenkiller as well.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 08:14
i guess us okies from muskogee are just chopped beef for the "OKC Club". Guess i'll have to start my own. LOL

That's an option, or join us when we schedules some dives.

Clanggedin
11-14-2007, 12:39
When I think of "DIRTY Water Dive Society". It sounds like it's a naughty dive club where it's clothing optional or you have sex underwater.

I'm a perv.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 15:07
What happens underwater, stays underwater. :smilie39:

TRACI
11-14-2007, 15:10
LOL, people in East Texas will get it, because all of our lakes are extremly dirty!

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 15:41
I think all the Okies wil get it as well. Quality of lake diving in our neck of the woods isn't for the clear water wusses. :)

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 17:17
Only a couple short hours left for voting. If you haven't voted yet, you still have a chance. Don't let the monumentous occason pass you by. Later in life I wouldn't want you to be thinking "what if", "what if I had voted in that poll", "where would my life be now".

So hurry, it's not too late yet. The deadline is nearing though.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 20:19
Poll is now closed. Dirty Water Dive Society it is. Thank you Disneymom for your suggestion on this one. Now that we have a name, and I hope it is acceptable to everyone, we will get things going. I am in the process of setting up a webpage. It is on one of those free hosts, so we will have to put up with an advert at the right hand side of the page, but you can minimize it once the page loads. Later on if we want to pay for a site we can always go advert free. For now though, I think it will work. For the next few weeks I'll be a busy little bee working on the webpage and trying to design some type of logo for the club. If you have any suggestions or designs for a logo feel free to send them my way. If you have any ideas or things you would like to see on the webpage, again, feel free to let me know.

skippy11
11-14-2007, 22:43
Lots of people around here dive at Lake Murray and at Broken Bow Lake. I have heard both are great, but never had the oppurtunity to go yet. Anyways, look forward to all you have planned.