PDA

View Full Version : Age of new diver

cgvmer
07-20-2007, 15:10
I am a relatively new diver and mostly do resort area dives. My sons now 18 and 14 were also certified recently, and now my daughter wants to be certified.
She is a good swimmer, having been on a swim team since she was 5. Has done a couple of time since she was 8.

Is this too young to learn?

Any thoughts pro-cons?

TIA

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:19
How old is she now? I know PADI runs Discovery type classes for 8+ and their jr. open water class can be taken at 10. I think it basically comes down to her. If she's comfortable in the water and has the maturity to understand the general physics involved, sure, she'll be ready at 10. That said, I've seen a lot of kids older than that not have the maturity needed and I woudn't trust them with a snorkel, let along compressed air.

Vercingetorix
07-20-2007, 15:22
I believe age restrictions are age 12 for NAUI Jr. Scuba Diver and 10 for PADI.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Not so much the physical abilities. Rather, does the diver have the emotional and mental maturity to make decisions in a hostile environment? Regardless of aptitude and skill level, for all of us, underwater is a hostile, e.g., not natural, environment for the human being.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Second, as a diver, her buddy must be able to depend upon her. Yes, I know, only you will be her buddy. Therefore, the point may be moot.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That said, I believe PADI has a junior scuba proram where the kids learn in the pool and do not do open water.</DIV>

cgvmer
07-20-2007, 21:46
I see PADI does have a bubble maker program for 8yr olds, but none of the LDS's in my area run these.
Physically, she is ready for the diving.

I've already decided to add rescue to my OW (and lifesaving) certs, making me more comfortable with her in the water.

Texaslight
06-08-2008, 11:29
Let Her Dive...if you are comfy with it and she is well adjusted and relaxed....we have members in our club whose kids have been diving since 8 years old....(not 2 deep) and one of them has logged over 500 dives and is only 15 now(ok her Dad is a videographer and shoots all over the world on extinction....to be sent to schools for info...."Fans of the sea"

diver 85
07-09-2008, 23:23
How old is she now? I know PADI runs Discovery type classes for 8+ and their jr. open water class can be taken at 10. I think it basically comes down to her. If she's comfortable in the water and has the maturity to understand the general physics involved, sure, she'll be ready at 10. That said, I've seen a lot of kids older than that not have the maturity needed and I woudn't trust them with a snorkel, let along compressed air.

At age 8, do they learn the wheel or run tables???......I bet I know the answer to that.IMO, that's waaaay to early, even 10 is......Now @ 12, some are........

in_cavediver
07-10-2008, 17:20
Here is a completely different take.

What does breathing compressed air and hyperbaric exposures due to developing bodies. The answer is we don't know. Can an immature child handle an emergency situation correctly? Maybe - Maybe not. Is it worth the risks - its the parents call.

http://www.diving-kids.ch/PDF/CoursMed06.pdf
Why I Do NOT Train Kids In Scuba Diving (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/kids.htm)

In the end - its up to the parent to make the best choice in the interests of the child. I will not say yes or no, only that there are risks and considerations.

Charles R
07-10-2008, 19:29

At age 8, do they learn the wheel or run tables???......I bet I know the answer to that.IMO, that's waaaay to early, even 10 is......Now @ 12, some are........
My son learned @ age 10 he is proficient using both the Wheel and tables. We plan all of our dives using the wheel. He has also read Doing it Right several times and he has read the encyclopedia of recreational diving. I believe there are some younger children out there that are capable. It is all depending on the Child and the Instucter. The instucter has to have the guts to stand up to the parents and just say they are not ready if they are not. I was not in the class room or the pool sessions with my son I was in the open water but not directly I was with a buddy taking pictures. I had no say in weather he got his card or not and I told his instucter that up front. I look at it this way you are directly taking your childs life into your hands think of it that way when you decide weather your child is ready or not. That being said My son had done Bubble makers and the PADI Seal team several tims from the time he was eight. He had also done SNUBA. So he had some prctice on the skills ahead of time.:smiley20:

snagel
07-12-2008, 18:51
Interesting thread.....

When my son was 10 yrs, he and I did the discover scuba thing with an instructor. Initially, I was very nervous wondering if he could do it, but he passed on the skills with flying colors. Actually, he did very well. The instructor was impressed. During the dive at 15 feet, he got the instructors attention and gave the "I'm having trouble clearing my ears" sign. We ascended and tried again, but again he had problems. Ultimately, he scraped the dive and the Instructor and I continued.

After I got certified, I asked him occasionally if he wanted too. He still seemed interested, but was a little nervous about his ears. As I gained more experience, I often thought about getting him certified, but wanted him to come to me. I don't want to push him into it - as of yet he has not asked. At this point, I have mixed feelings. He is now almost 14 and accomplishes many things in sports. But, I don't think I could handle him diving at this point. Having a better understanding of diving, I would be very nervous with him diving. He would probably do great, but I would be a nervous wreck keeping an eye on him. But this is just me.

Snagel

matt151617
07-12-2008, 22:57
I guess it all depends on the kid... and if they're comfortable under the water at that age. Breathing underwater is nerve-racking for some adults even when nothing is going wrong.

dogseatmayo
08-05-2008, 10:29
well how old is she now?
the choice really depends on what you think.
is she mature enough to be calm in an OOA emergency.

(just my opinion)

Jenn
08-05-2008, 11:29
Hello my son is almost 8 years old and he really wants to scuba dive. The age is 10 but I did not tell him that I told my son that it was 13. I really want him to beable to enjoy scuba diving but at the same time like a previous post said "I am putting my sons life in my hands" I am not sure I am ready to do that. I would like to do the padi class with him for 8 year olds but at the same time I am not sure that he would be willing to stop there he would want to do ow with me. Its really a tough call we do not know what breathing compressed air does to a developing body.