PDA

View Full Version : How to use a jon line?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-10-2007, 08:47
I have a jon line ( Dive Rite Jon Line , DIR and Technical, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Jon Line (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DiveRiteJonLine) ) and I am wondering about the 'proper' way to use it. Any advice?

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 08:53
I'm sure Jon can tell you, but I don't know for sure. Looks self explanatory, but I'm sure like most things there are little things you need to know.

From getting on Dive Rite's webpage it just says to clip it to the anchor/assent line and then you have 6' of line to get back away from it if you need to. The clip will slide up and down the anchor/ascent line and you go up and can easily be unclipped when you are done.

SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Jon Line (http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/lift/ac2700)

11-10-2007, 09:04
Wondering whether to wrap it and clip the carabiner on the Jon line or clip the Carabiner to the ascent line.

The way this thing is attached to the pocket concerns me a bit, too. I want to avoid the possibility of an underwater ski trip.

RoadRacer1978
11-10-2007, 09:12
Looks like you clip the caribiner directly to the ascent line.

superkingkong
11-10-2007, 11:04
I've seen someone using it before. they clipped the carabiner to the ascent line.

paintsnow
11-10-2007, 12:00
Wondering whether to wrap it and clip the carabiner on the Jon line or clip the Carabiner to the ascent line.

The way this thing is attached to the pocket concerns me a bit, too. I want to avoid the possibility of an underwater ski trip.

if you just clip it to the line then it will help only with holding you in that spot in a current.

you will still have to keep your buoyancy spot on to maintain the depth

if your wrap it and then clip it it will hold your position in a current and also allow your buoyancy to be off a little and you will only be able to ascend or descend as much as the line allows.

one question though
what do you mean by this:

is one end attached inside the pocket permanently?
or does it stick out?

sorry, im just not quite sure what you mean by that.

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 16:22
I think what he was referring to is the caribiner sticking out of the line pocket. I think that is just the photo showing the way it fits in the pouch.

11-12-2007, 22:59
The line is sewn into the pocket. The pocket gets threaded onto some webbing. So when it's set up I am attached and I cannot let go quickly. This concerns me just a bit.

texdiveguy
11-12-2007, 23:46
I have a jon line ( Dive Rite Jon Line , DIR and Technical, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Jon Line (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DiveRiteJonLine) ) and I am wondering about the 'proper' way to use it. Any advice?

I have seen the DR model you are referring to, but I persl. don't like the carb. clip end design....nor having it secured to a web belt per say.

I use a clip like this one on my Jon Line.............
http://i15.tinypic.com/6od30gi.jpg
....at one end and a SS bolt snap at the other for securing to a d-ring.

If anyone happens to be diving a specific oil rig in the Tx. GoM and finds a nice Jon Line set-up like the one I use,,,its because it got away from me one afternoon--lol.....keep it and enjoy!

11-13-2007, 09:33
Thanks everyone.

I haven't had to use it yet. I've just looked at it more closely now and see that threading on the webbing is just one way to attach it. A boltsnap or similar could also work. I'm much more comfortable with that idea. I really don't like the idea of chaining myself to anything. Of course I could cut it, but how long would it take? I probably should have just made my own, would have been a lot cheaper.

MSilvia
11-13-2007, 09:47
I use a clip like this one on my Jon Line...
Me too, although I don't keep a snap at the other end. I just have a loop I can hang on to.

texdiveguy
11-13-2007, 09:53
I use a clip like this one on my Jon Line...
Me too, although I don't keep a snap at the other end. I just have a loop I can hang on to.

Mine also has a wrist loop in addition to the SS clip....the reason for the clip/d-ring usage is to be 'hands free' during staged decompression stops...allows you both hands free for other gear tasking, and during long hangs it is far less fatigueing on the diver to be clipped off.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:07
I ike the idea of having both options. I can see very good reasons, as TexDiveGuy has pointed out for having both hands free. I can also see that you would not always want to be tethered to the ascent line. You need something that is versatile and can preform for you individual need on the goven dive.

It would also be pretty cheap and easy to make your own I would think and a small pouch could be purchased or made pretty easily as well.

mike_s
11-13-2007, 11:09
IF you want to clip it fine... but then you've got to worry about it slipping upward on the anchor line in a strong current.

So I would suggest wrapping it around it and then maybe clipping.

But you don't have to let out the entire line. You can wrap around and clip back to yourself, or just hold the clip after wrapping, or give the clip to a buddy after wrapping. That way you're hanging off the line and it's easier to deal with. If rougher seas that the line might be moving more, you might have to let out more slack though.

texdiveguy
11-13-2007, 11:23
It would also be pretty cheap and easy to make your own I would think and a small pouch could be purchased or made pretty easily as well.

Yep I have built my own for less money and it one of those fun DIY projects...everything you will need is available at your LDS and hardware stores.......I have even seen divers use larger 'dog leashes' as Jon Lines.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 11:39
A large dog leash is basically what it looks like. You could replace the clip at the end with something larger like a caribeaner or Gavin hook and find a pouch to store it in and you are good to go. You could add another clip of some type to the hand loop and you would have the option of holding on or clipping off.

mike_s
11-13-2007, 11:41
Yep I have built my own for less money and it one of those fun DIY projects...everything you will need is available at your LDS and hardware stores.......I have even seen divers use larger 'dog leashes' as Jon Lines.

Actually, I think a good dog leash is a great idea.

It has a loop at one end that you could wrap aound the line and loop the leash back through it, then clip the snap-bolt to your BC.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 11:45

Actually, I think a good dog leash is a great idea.

It has a loop at one end that you could wrap aound the line and loop the leash back through it, then clip the snap-bolt to your BC.

That would work too. :)

texdiveguy
11-13-2007, 12:59
I don't use a pocket to carry it...simple wrap each end with hd rubber band and clip it off to a d-ring while diving...very low profile and easy to access.

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 13:05
Didn't think about just folding it up and holding it together with a couple bands. That would work and cost little to nothing to make. What a savings. My next trip to the pet store and I'm gonna buy me a jon line....

Guess just cutting pieces from an innertube would work for making the bands to secure the folded up line.

Like this
http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips___Tricks/RANGER_BANDS/tube_and_scissors.jpg

quasimoto
11-13-2007, 15:34
Yep, cutting a few pieces of inner tube just like the picture would probably work great. I will have to remember that if I get a line.

11-13-2007, 15:49
Inner tube bands. Cool idea. File that for future reference.

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 16:30
any reason why a jon line has to be something wide/webbing similar, rather than using just any kind of string? ie, nylon string?

No Misses
11-13-2007, 16:33
any reason why a jon line has to be something wide/webbing similar, rather than using just any kind of string? ie, nylon string?

You want to use something that does not easily tangle. Flat webbing rolls/folds neatly. Round nylon line would almost always be tangled in knots when you try to deploy it. IMHO

You could probably use a jump reel with cave line. The flat webing jon line with hand loop or clip would be easier to use for long deco stops. Again this is only my un-educated opinion. I have never used/needed a jon line.

texdiveguy
11-13-2007, 17:39

You want to use something that does not easily tangle. Flat webbing rolls/folds neatly. Round nylon line would almost always be tangled in knots when you try to deploy it. IMHO

You could probably use a jump reel with cave line. The flat webing jon line with hand loop or clip would be easier to use for long deco stops. Again this is only my un-educated opinion. I have never used/needed a jon line.

You have answered the question really well.....I know of divers per forum
conversations that swear by the use of a spool/nylon line....LOL....all of the above reasons for not trying this...use the proper tool for the job--a Jon Line.

superkingkong
11-13-2007, 18:54

You have answered the question really well.....I know of divers per forum
conversations that swear by the use of a spool/nylon line....LOL....all of the above reasons for not trying this...use the proper tool for the job--a Jon Line.

cool, thanks for the explanation :)