PDA

View Full Version : Most compact pressure/depth console as a backup?

Navy OnStar
11-10-2007, 11:27
My wife and I each have an AI wrist computer and want to get the most compact pressure/depth guages (that are actually useful) should either one of our computers fail.

What, in your opinion, is the tightest, most copact, useful, pressure/depth consoles available?

What about a single pressure guage?

Thanks

OnStar

mitsuguy
11-10-2007, 13:00
I will be getting the Tusa T series gauges SC-230T, I believe it is...

one - I have good eyesight, two - I'll be using a computer primarily, and only need the gauge for tank pressure (but with a backup depth gauge)

Navy OnStar
11-10-2007, 19:08
That's what I'm looking for. Something to get me though a few dives if my or my wifes computer goes bad. Is the Tusa that compact? It's hard to tell in the picture without some other reference.

ScubaToys Larry
11-10-2007, 20:49
Well if you want the smallest thing going - that would be this: Pony Gauge With Hose , Dive Gauges, H2Odyssey, Pony Gauge With Hose (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=H2odyssey_Pony_Gauge_With_Ho se)

But the Tusa compact gauges will be about 1/2 inch narrower than a standard gauge.

I'll try to remember next time I'm in the shop to put them side by side and shoot a picture and post it up. Of course you could always call us up and order, and we can show you on the Web Cam!

Navy OnStar
11-11-2007, 08:13
Never thought of the whole web cam thing. I'll have to try that!

I love ST

OnStar

CompuDude
11-11-2007, 13:21
I use the bare "XS Scuba "Brass & Glass" Pressure Gauge", which ST carries. If you want a smaller one, XS carries a compact model also that is much smaller but equally robust. I don't see it listed, but Larry could probably order it. DiveSports (http://www.divesports.com/mall/xsscuba_gau_compactbrassSPG.asp) has a better price on it, though, which ST can probably match.

mitsuguy
11-11-2007, 16:52
I've looked at the others that they are mentioning, but they don't have anything around them - no plastic housing, just the gauge, which doesn't seem as rugged to me if it were bumped on something...

the Tusa stuff (I think overall I like japanese engineering, cars and all), but it's compact, stylish, etc, and perfect for this application...

CompuDude
11-11-2007, 22:13
I've looked at the others that they are mentioning, but they don't have anything around them - no plastic housing, just the gauge, which doesn't seem as rugged to me if it were bumped on something...

the Tusa stuff (I think overall I like japanese engineering, cars and all), but it's compact, stylish, etc, and perfect for this application...

There's a reason why bare gauges are preferred in technical circles. Boots can hide damage to hoses and can even disguise the fact a hose is working loose. Additionally, a plastic boot is actually more likely to be caught or wedged in a constriction than bare, smooth metal.

Bare gauges have proved their reliability and durability over many years and thousands of dives. If bare gauges are so fragile, why are they so commonly used by wreck and cave divers, who routinely carry them into the most dangerous conditions?

Either will work for you, but don't discount the bare gauges for the wrong reasons.

mitsuguy
11-11-2007, 22:21

There's a reason why bare gauges are preferred in technical circles. Boots can hide damage to hoses and can even disguise the fact a hose is working loose. Additionally, a plastic boot is actually more likely to be caught or wedged in a constriction than bare, smooth metal.

Bare gauges have proved their reliability and durability over many years and thousands of dives. If bare gauges are so fragile, why are they so commonly used by wreck and cave divers, who routinely carry them into the most dangerous conditions?

Either will work for you, but don't discount the bare gauges for the wrong reasons.

I didn't say they weren't rugged, but there is no discounting the fact that a plastic/rubberized housing will provide some protection to abuse...

as far as hoses working themselves loose, we've had this discussion in other threads - that these hoses should be checked with regularity, and even a failure would take a long time to empty a tank...

texdiveguy
11-11-2007, 22:43
Dive Rite has a few nice SPG's you might consider.

frankc420
11-11-2007, 23:01
Contact Larry, XS Scuba makes a gauge that is encased in the rubber that your wanting, item # w/ XSscuba is
GA101

diversteve
11-12-2007, 01:00
I have the ScubaPro Compact Twin Console.

It measures 4" x 2" x 1".
6" to the end of the boot.

They also sell a single Compact Pressure Gauge.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/9/2/spgauges.jpg

Navy OnStar
11-12-2007, 01:20
Thanks all. I have decided to go with the single SPG. Still trying to decide on which one. Thanks for all the input.

Silverlode
11-12-2007, 06:08
Looking for the same thing, so will be following this thread and see what everyone recommends and why. Was eyeing the XS Scuba bare SPG and the Dive Rite one. OMS has a nice one but is more expensive.

fireflock
11-12-2007, 09:04
I have both the XS 2.5" and the Dive Rite 1.5" SPG's. If you're looking for small the dive rite is the way to go. It's not quite as heavy duty as the XS, but it looks plenty durable and the size is, IMHO, just right for a backup.

Rich

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 15:44
Cressi also makes a small SPG. I am pretty sure that it is brass and glass as well. I looked at them a couple years ago but then ST quit carrying them.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 17:57
Probably OMS as well.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 23:36
I have both the XS 2.5" and the Dive Rite 1.5" SPG's. If you're looking for small the dive rite is the way to go. It's not quite as heavy duty as the XS, but it looks plenty durable and the size is, IMHO, just right for a backup.

Rich

Cool. Looks like I'd go for the DR one. Now, just a matter of curiosity; is there much of a difference in numeral sizing between the two; as in is the XS a lot easier to read compared to the DR?

buddhasummer
01-10-2008, 19:38
Cressi also makes a small SPG. I am pretty sure that it is brass and glass as well. I looked at them a couple years ago but then ST quit carrying them.

the case is marine brass but the face is not glass its PVC or the like:smiley20: