PDA

View Full Version : Wide angle lens

Cheddarchick
11-10-2007, 17:24
I want a wide angle lens to go with my PT30. I have looked at this one, Sea&Sea 16mm lens. How do I mount it on the housing? I assume I have to use a step up ring, right? What is a bayonet mounting??? Is it for ease for taking off and on underwater??? Thanks for your help!!!

Soonerwink
11-10-2007, 21:41
I hope some of the photo experts give you some good advice, I am not one however. I am in the same position as you are. I will be following your thread, I'm also looking into a wide angle lens for my SP-350 in an OLY PT-030 housing. Do you think the following WA lense will work?
Fantasea Line | FWAL-01 WA Lens w/ 56mm Thread Includes | 5121 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=477312&is=REG)

Aussie
11-11-2007, 01:55
I want a wide angle lens to go with my PT30. I have looked at this one, Sea&Sea 16mm lens. How do I mount it on the housing? I assume I have to use a step up ring, right? What is a bayonet mounting??? Is it for ease for taking off and on underwater??? Thanks for your help!!!

I believe the Sea & Sea 16mm lens is for cameras like the old 35mm Nikonos and Motormarine.

There are several brands that have "wet" lenses that simply screw into the thread on the camera lens itself. A "wet" lens is a lens that can be taken off underwater. The wide angle most common thread size is 67mm and they have setup rings to screw the wet lens onto smaller camera threads. Olympus(UN), Inon are some of the brands that make them.

I had a UN wide angle on my Olympus c7070 before I went to a digital SLR. Actually I dont think that ever took it off. I even used it on macro (wide angle close ups) with great success.

Thing to look out for is bubbles trapped between the wet lens and camera (from entering the water). All you have to do is unscrew the wet lens and remove the bubbles and screw it back on. Also care should be taken when screwing the wet lens on, to stop any crossthreading. It should just screw on easlierly.

After diving care should be taken with the washing and drying of the wet lens as the coating they have on the front of the lens tends to be removed if water (salt/ fresh) is left on for a amount of time.

I remembered my first shots from using my wide angle wet lens. It was a bad VIS day and when I downloaded the shots onto my computer it look like I was diving in much clearer water than it actually was.

I highly recommend the wide angle wet lens for any compact point and shoot.

I dont like the macro wet lenses as they tend to blur the edges of the frame.

Aussie

Cheddarchick
11-11-2007, 05:46
Thanks Aussie!!!
I know that my lusting after all the toys for my 350 is bad..... Does it ever stop? I also want to send the camera to Ryan @ Reef photo and have it set up for TTL with the H-W converter....Man I will have so much into the outfit I can never sell it......

Aussie
11-11-2007, 06:21
Thanks Aussie!!!
I know that my lusting after all the toys for my 350 is bad..... Does it ever stop? I also want to send the camera to Ryan @ Reef photo and have it set up for TTL with the H-W converter....Man I will have so much into the outfit I can never sell it......

It doesn't stop. You start to lust over more expensive toys:smiley20:

I sold my Olympus 7070 in ikelite to a guy in Poland and I ended up lossing maybe $300 from when I bought it brand new. Which is great as I used it for 18months.

dSLR's you can resell and get some money back. This is what I am going to do with my D80 in maybe 2-3years time. Upgrade to something bigger and better.

Good luck.

Aussie

WestTnDiver
11-11-2007, 13:15
I think the PT-30 has a 67mm screw type base like most of the Olympus housings. I recommend the Inon UWL-100. I've used one for a few years with an Oly 5050 and PT-15 housing.
I've had good luck getting stuff for a good price from a company in Japan: UWdigitalcamera.com (http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/)
It's about $245+shipping
Ryan has it for $329+shipping

diversteve
11-11-2007, 14:07
I think the PT-30 has a 67mm screw type base like most of the Olympus housings.According to the specifications page (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400761-REG/Olympus_202021_PT_030_Underwater_Housing.html) at B&H it's a 46MM port. It's not even listed in the PT-030 users manual. They also selll a Fantasea W/A lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477312-REG/Fantasea_Line_5121_FWAL_01_WA_Lens_w_.html) that has the adapter for the PT-030 housing.

Cheddarchick
11-11-2007, 16:00
So let me follow this..If I get an adapter that starts out at 46mm and it has what ever size adapter that would screw into whatever mm the lens has, I could use any WA lens?

Wow that was hard to spit out on a Sunday, hope you followed along

Aussie
11-11-2007, 17:08
So let me follow this..If I get an adapter that starts out at 46mm and it has what ever size adapter that would screw into whatever mm the lens has, I could use any WA lens?

Wow that was hard to spit out on a Sunday, hope you followed along

Thats right.

Step-up rings are normally provided with the wet lens.

The wet lens normally have step up rings which screw into your camera lens. Then you screw the wet lens onto the set up ring.

Have a look at the UN lenses as I bought one very cheap. UN make the Olympus wet lenses too.

Also with using a wide angle wet lens you have to zoom in a little to stop Vignetting of the frame. I had this zoom-in set just right and saved it in one of my custom modes on my Olympus 7070. It saves alot of time.

Aussie

Soonerwink
11-11-2007, 19:29
Man, this is great information, looks like I will be getting a wide angle lens now also. Thanks CheddarChick for starting this thread. I saw the same thread on SB with no responses. Diving season is about over here in Oklahoma, but I will be ready next year. Can you supply some links or vendors where I can compare prices? Here is one I found, do you think it would work?
Fantasea Line | FWAL-01 WA Lens w/ 56mm Thread Includes | 5121 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=477312&is=REG)

danktex
11-11-2007, 20:49
I went with the Inon AD mount system and could not be happier. The lenses change really easy.

Soonerwink
11-11-2007, 21:02
Here is the best price I could find on a wide angle lense for my sp-350, 224.95 at scuba.com includes shipping.
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-540/069321/Fantasea-Wide-Angle-Lens-For-Olympus-And-Fantasea--Housings.html

frankc420
11-11-2007, 21:26
Here is the best price I could find on a wide angle lense for my sp-350, 224.95 at scuba.com includes shipping.
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-540/069321/Fantasea-Wide-Angle-Lens-For-Olympus-And-Fantasea--Housings.html

PT030 isn't in the list of compatibles for that.. Sorry, I'm following this thread as well :smiley20:

Soonerwink
11-11-2007, 21:31
I kinda of higjacked this thread also. I was just going by the 46mm thread, that why I posted the link to try and find out if it would work with the PT-030. I don't want to end up purchasing 2 of these because the first one didn't work. I already went through that with my strobe.

diversteve
11-12-2007, 01:11
On the B&H page (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400761-REG/Olympus_202021_PT_030_Underwater_Housing.html) for the PT-030, they list the Fantasea FWAL-01 lens that you listed in post #10 under Accessories. $225.

Silverlode
11-12-2007, 05:59
dSLR's you can resell and get some money back. This is what I am going to do with my D80 in maybe 2-3years time. Upgrade to something bigger and better.

Good luck.

Aussie

What setup do you use with your D80 underwater. I have a D80 but does not want to bring it underwater as yet and am thinking of getting some point and shoot. However, the lag on the digital point and shoot drove me nuts when I played with one recently. I have obviously forgotten what it's like using a point and shoot. So, now might have to reconsider bringing the D80 underwater.
Or any recommendations, anyone, for a good underwater camera? And not too expensive :D if there's such a camera around.

Cheddarchick
11-12-2007, 19:21
Hey sooner, did you find out for sure if it will work on our housings?

Cheddarchick
11-12-2007, 19:55
I went with the Inon AD mount system and could not be happier. The lenses change really easy.

I really like the looks of this system...Can you post some pictures???

danktex
11-12-2007, 20:30
Pictures taken with or of the system?

Soonerwink
11-12-2007, 23:10
Hey sooner, did you find out for sure if it will work on our housings?

According to B&H it will work, I hope to get some feedback from someone who uses this setup though.

Aussie
11-13-2007, 04:01

Good luck.

Aussie

What setup do you use with your D80 underwater. I have a D80 but does not want to bring it underwater as yet and am thinking of getting some point and shoot. However, the lag on the digital point and shoot drove me nuts when I played with one recently. I have obviously forgotten what it's like using a point and shoot. So, now might have to reconsider bringing the D80 underwater.
Or any recommendations, anyone, for a good underwater camera? And not too expensive :D if there's such a camera around.

Before you start to think about taking your Nikon D80 underwater I will tell you what its going to costs you.

Ikelite housing for the D80 retails for $1500usd
Ikelite port for your housing starts from $150
Ikelite ds125 strobe and arms retail for $1000usd (two are good)
Digital sync cord from $80usd

So it starts to get a bit expensive when you start to add things up.

Aussie

Cheddarchick
11-13-2007, 07:50
Pictures taken with or of the system?

Both please....
Does anyone else seem to think this system is heavy/too negative?

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 23:38

Good luck.

Aussie

Before you start to think about taking your Nikon D80 underwater I will tell you what its going to costs you.

Ikelite housing for the D80 retails for $1500usd
Ikelite port for your housing starts from $150
Ikelite ds125 strobe and arms retail for $1000usd (two are good)
Digital sync cord from $80usd

So it starts to get a bit expensive when you start to add things up.

Aussie
OUCH! :smiley11: I think I'll put the money for the dive gears and courses and dives first. Looks like it's the good old (eek) point and shoot digital for me.
Edit. I do have an old Canon G5 sitting around and my daughter's Canon Ixus 60 (I think) which she can loan me or my dad's Ixus 80 (I think) which he can loan me. I am thinking of maybe getting the Canon A650 (I think.. it's been a while since I was looking at camera. Concentrating on dive gears at the moment) or maybe the Olympus whatever, the one that can go down to 10m (30') without casing. Any comments on the above, anyone? Or should I go for a dedicated underwater camera brand?

SYOTABUCS
12-11-2007, 10:18
Sorry to hijack but this thread caught my attention as well.

Is the Fantasea any good?

jugglematt
12-13-2007, 23:06
Hi silver load .
if you havent done a lot of diving , i would at first concentrate on doing as many dives as you can and getting your boyancy and air consumption perfected , then mabye look at a camera the canon A640 gets good results as does the Ixus . i use the Nikon P5000 with very good results .some of the Sea&Sea housings do well.

i tik Fantase housings are god quality & good value 4 money.. hat wer you thinking of housing?

Matt

DevilDiver
12-05-2008, 10:26

I really like the looks of this system...Can you post some pictures???

Here is the AD mount for the SP-030.

Description:Mount Base for Olympus PT-030 Housing (SP-350, SP-320, SP-310 cameras) secures housing firmly with no rotation. Also, quickly and securely attach INON UFL-165AD, UWL-105AD Wide Angle and UCL-165AD Close-up lenses to the integral AD bayonet mount. Compatible with Optical D Cable/Cap W20 Set fiber optic cable. And, install single or double Grip Base DII or DIII to the bottom of the AD Mount Base. Features:This multi-featured mount base:

Firmly secures Olympus PT-030 housing from rotating on the base.
Has an integral INON AD bayonet mounting ring for quick and easy “one-touch” mounting of:
UFL-165AD Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens
UWL-105AD Wide Angle Conversion Lens
UCL-165AD Close-up Lens (165mm focal length)
Accepts Optical D Cable/Cap W20 Set fiber optic cable and attachment fixtures for connecting to INON D-2000Wn, D-2000W, D-2000, D-2000S, D-180, D-180S, Z-240, Z-220, Z-220F and Z-220S strobes.
Accepts single or double Grip Base DII or DIII grip handles.http://inonamerica.com/content/gfx/gfx_01157.jpg

The INON wide angle lens for this mount is http://inonamerica.com/content/products/pr_0189/pr_00225_md.jpg

Description:The UWL-105AD is a wide angle conversion lens with 105 degree maximum view angle.
It is designed for smaller cameras with smaller lens diameter. Instead of a threaded mounting system, Inon “AD” series lenses have an “AD” bayonet mount for quick and secure “one touch” underwater attachment or removal.
The UWL-105AD can be mounted to camera housings with an Inon AD Mount Base, sold separately. There are many AD Mount Bases available for specific housing models.
Features:

The UWL-105 AD is designed to perform equally well both underwater and above. Underwater it is an extreme wide-angle converter, in air it is a fisheye converter. (Underwater view angle 105.6°, above water view angle 179.0°, when used with S40/S30 +WP-DC300)
In addition to enabling extreme wide angle of view, the optical design of the UWL-105AD allows closer focusing distance so better “wide-macro” (close focus wide angle) photography is possible. (When used with the S40/S30 +WP-DC300, in Standard Mode the focus range is Infinity -18.9cm compared to camera only focus range of Infinity - 80cm. In Macro Mode the focus range is 18.9cm - 0.4cm, compared to the camera only range of 80cm - 10cm)
The lens is constructed of high quality optical glass with multi-layer anti reflective coating on both sides. Four lens elements arranged in four groups correct for chromatic and spherical aberration. By design, the UWL-105AD minimizes aberration to achieve master lens performance.
Quick, secure “one touch” lens attachment and release with Inon’s AD Standard bayonet mount.You can also use the UFL-165AD Underwater Fisheye Conversion Lens
(4562121431928) with this mount.
http://inonamerica.com/content/products/pr_0198/pr_00213_md.jpg Description:The UFL-165AD is a trim, compact underwater fisheye conversion lens with 165 degree maximum field of view. Focus range from the very front edge of the dome to get as close to the subject as physically possible. Close focus ability and extreme depth of field enable stunning wide angle and “wide macro” (close focus wide angle) imaging, not previously possible with housed digicams.
*This lens is designed for underwater use only.
*This lens is only compatible with standard "AD Mount Bases." Not compatible with "28AD Mount Bases."
*This lens is designed to be used at full wide zoom setting. Zooming forward will degrade image quality. Features:Inon AD Bayonet Mount permits quick and easy “one touch” underwater attachment and removal. Inon AD Mount Base Adapters available for many popular digital camera housings.

Cheddarchick
12-06-2008, 14:01
wow..totally forgot this thread..I did buy the Inon and love it....Next on the list is the UFL-165A....ahhhhhhh