PDA

View Full Version : Soft weights

BuzzF117
11-10-2007, 17:51
Whats the best type of soft weights or are they all just bags of lead shot?

texdiveguy
11-10-2007, 18:08
Sea Pearls supplies some great soft weights.

rje634
11-10-2007, 18:16
I have Sea Pearls and I also have some Sea Pearls "knock-offs" the knock-offs are starting to pull apart at the seams and they've turned the inside of my weight bag black. The Sea Pearls are still in great shape. Spend the little extra and get the good stuff, it's last longer.

Navy OnStar
11-10-2007, 19:11
The xs scuba ones have served me well. The lead looks nice and round and the bags are good. I bought some knock off ones and you can see some jagged lead on the inside that looks like it would increase the wear and the backs feel like woven plastic.

mike_s
11-10-2007, 20:54
just get some that the pouch's are well made. You don't want one coming apart on the dive and spilling 5 pounds or so of weight making you positive on your bouyancy.

There's also the theory that fish might try to eat small lead pellets that might get spilled, which could kill them. So another reason to get a well made pouch.

FYI, the Sea Pearls and XS Scuba brands should be the same. XS bought Sea Pearls back sometime in the past year or so.... I think they are still marketing them under both names though. (not sure as it really doesn't matter too much...)

ScubaToys Larry
11-10-2007, 21:07
And the raw material cost of lead has sky rocketed! Doubled in the last year. I've known people to try to do their own - just make sure you have pure lead. A lot of the lead shot you run into has a lot of iron in it, and it will rust. I had a customer that bought a $400 BC and a $300 wetsuit, but wanted to save 20 bucks on the lead. Made his own pouches and used some lead shot he had, and next time he opened his bag, his bc and wetsuit were covered in rust stains.

So if not sure about the quality of the lead you are getting... just soak the lead and let it sit around for a bit and make sure it doesn't tarnish or rust.

Navy OnStar
11-11-2007, 08:09
Seems the Chinese are buying up all th raw lead to put in paint and send back over here in our kids toys! I guess that's why the price has skyrocketed!

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 16:05
Seems the Chinese are buying up all th raw lead to put in paint and send back over here in our kids toys! I guess that's why the price has skyrocketed!

That is a good one!!

XS scuba also sells the empty pouches just in case you want to try and save your self a few bucks. I have a channel weight for my plate from XS and I filled it with tire weights. Downfall of that is that you have to remove the metal clip that holds the weight to the tire. Not hard just time consuming.

mike_s
11-12-2007, 16:26
Why anyone would want to melt down lead and try to make their own weights is beyond me. The cost savings just doesn't justify the hassle.

That and accidentally pouring hot lead on your leg in the process will definately negate any savings generated.

Not sure if there are any fumes from melting lead, but if there are, that can't be good to breath either.

Might need to add the phrase, "You might be a redneck, if you've ever melted down fishing lures to make lead weights to dive with"

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 11:53
I use gold bullion. Doens't rust and will someday be cheaper than lead. We're opening new gold mines all the time. But I don't know about any new lead mines. In another life I'm a commidties trader. I can tell you from looking at the charts that the person who can find a way to turn gold into lead will make a killing. :smiley2:

BTW, In real life use sea pearls.

scubajane
11-14-2007, 18:29
there is some concern about lead leaching into the water and poisoning the fish. any truth to that?? I know you can buy coated solid weights. I think I say coated soft weights

BuzzF117
11-14-2007, 19:43
Compared to other heavy metals lead is still fairly cheap. I think I will go with seapearls when the time comes. Due to the weight this may be an item that I can get a reasonable deal on at my LDS. If not I will get it at ST.

Buzz out

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 19:47
I have expiremented around with making lead weights. I made a mold and poured some solid weights. I tried expirementing to make lead shot, but that is a little bit tougher.