PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ohio Quarry??

schu1842
11-10-2007, 22:26
I thought I would start a poll for my first post. What is your favorite Ohio dive site: 1) Whitestar; 2) Gilboa; 3) Portage or 4) Circleville Twin Quarries?
I've enjoyed all the sites. Gilboa is the most expensive and seems to be the most popular. It has had great visibility when I've been there and lots to see.
Whitestar is very convenient - great platforms - some neat things to see especially around the rock crusher building. I've only been to Portage once but it was huge. I loved the Hanza Jet and some of the underwater structures. It was cold when I was there and visibility was not as good as Gilboa or Whitestar but I can't wait to get back and explore the place. Circleville was very limited but its a little closer. I've enjoyed all the locations but for now my vote goes to Portage. What's your vote?

Kokomo
11-11-2007, 08:13
Portage is the only one I've been to. It was in June and quite cold. Classes were going on and visibility was fair but there was tons of stuff to see.

drifter136
11-20-2007, 16:36
schu1842, I live a little east of Columbus (about an hour from the Circleville Quarries). I am hoping to move to Columbus pretty soon and would like to start diving Circleville quite a bit next spring. I'm new to diving and figured it'd be a good place to practice skills and get more underwater time.

Do you have any advice about it? What kind of temps do the quarries get during the spring-fall season. I'm thinking about getting a 7/5mm full, a 3mm full, hood or hooded vest, gloves and I have a 3/2mm shorty. With that selection of exposure protection, do you feel I'd get a decently long dive season? Thanks for any help you can give me.

schu1842
11-20-2007, 19:01
Hi Drifter 136. I dove Circleville in June 06. I think we stayed in what is called the south quarry. Its pretty shallow - my log says we were at 20 ft. for 48 minutes on the first dive - so I think it warms up quite a bit quicker than the other quarries. Visibility was good and the people in the shop were very friendly. I haven't been back to Circleville because with just a little more driving I can get to Portage, Gilboa or Whitestar. Those quarries are deeper and have more to see. Circleville is a good place to get some dives in and gain some experience. I know a detective on the Columbus, Ohio Police dive team and they usually train one day a month. They often spend the day at Circleville because they can get there - do their training - and get back in an 8 hour shift. You won't have any trouble with the wetsuits you described. I just dove a gravel pit/lake in Springfield (Clark County) two weeks ago in 50 degree water. I wore a 2 mil shortie & hooded vest under my 7 mil suit and was very comfortable. (dive was 67 minutes at 19 ft.). I think I am done for the season though. Good luck with your diving. Hope to run into you at the quarries!

drifter136
11-20-2007, 19:18
Thank you very much! A lot of very helpful information.

navyhmc
11-20-2007, 20:32
My buddy came to the rectangle state from Ohio and say good things about Gilboa. From the web page ( Gilboa Quarry Scuba Diving (http://www.divegilboa.com/) ) , it looks very inviting. Haven't been but it looks good.

WV Diver
11-21-2007, 06:46
I have only been to Portage but it was fun. We spent a weekend there and got three or four dives in but it was pretty cold water for June. We saw most of the highlights over that weekend.

Someday I want to do Gilboa. I have never heard of the other two.

medicdiver
11-21-2007, 16:00
I have only been to whitestar and Gilboa so I don't know anything about the other two but I prefer Gilboa because of the visibility and there are many things to see. There you also have the option of going deeper. Whitestar was nice because of the price and it had decent visibility. I also like the rock crusher building area.

Ohio_diver16
11-26-2007, 11:12
Well, I've been to none of them so my vote is for Gilboa simply because since I know nothing about them and I've heard good things on this thread, I want to check it out next so Gilboa here I come!

BuzzF117
11-26-2007, 12:04
Dove both Gilboa and Whitestar, Gilboa has a long decent down stairs to the platforms so if your not in decent shape I would suggest gearing up on the equipment tables just off the entrance plateforms and making a couple trips down steps to get all your gear to the table. I did like the entry at White Star.

Buzz out

medicdiver
11-26-2007, 19:34
I would have to carry my wifes gear down to the equipment tables just to make it easier on her while at Gilboa and I do like the entry point better at Whitestar.

geoff127
11-27-2007, 19:26
I prefer the entrances at Gilboa to the ones at Whitestar. I like have the option of doing a stride or just walking in, plus it's easier to get out using the stairs than stumbling over the rocks. However, I am an very awkward person out (or half-way out) of the water, and my gear is fairly comfortable and I don't mind wearing it up and down the stairs to my car at Gilboa.

bobcatdiver
12-11-2007, 08:16
We take a lot of our students to Circleville for their OW dives it close and John and Todd are GREAT people, but my vote goes to Gilboa, but their prices are terrible.