PDA

View Full Version : o-ring question

gibson1525
11-11-2007, 17:25
to make a long story short, i have an o-ring that has been sealed in a camera for about 6 weeks straight now. i was wondering if the compression would flatten out the o-ring. should i throw it out or is it still good?

Aussie
11-11-2007, 17:39
to make a long story short, i have an o-ring that has been sealed in a camera for about 6 weeks straight now. i was wondering if the compression would flatten out the o-ring. should i throw it out or is it still good?

Take it out and have a look.

Most housings when new have the o-ring in them. They sit on the shelf of the camera shop maybe for months and years.

Aussie

danktex
11-11-2007, 19:18
I have done the same thing without any problems. Although orings are cheap. When in doubt toss it.

divnhank
11-19-2007, 06:21
Is it a camera in a housing? I always test new or unproven o-rings in my housing. I pack the housing with tissues, grease the o-ring and seal it, and take it on a dive. The tissues can give you a clue if there is a tiny leak somewhere. If no leaks then I trust it with the camera.

divnhank
11-19-2007, 06:23
Oh, and always carry spares. You will never find the o-ring you need when you travel.

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 06:26
Is it a camera in a housing? I always test new or unproven o-rings in my housing. I pack the housing with tissues, grease the o-ring and seal it, and take it on a dive. The tissues can give you a clue if there is a tiny leak somewhere. If no leaks then I trust it with the camera.

Good tips. Thanks. Will do that when I get my housing. Have always been concerned about flooding.

gibson1525
11-19-2007, 15:26
after getting it back the o-ring looked pretty good but i've decided to pitch it anyway, they are too cheap to risk it on a camera i've had too many problems with anyway. thanks for the advice everyone.