PDA

View Full Version : New Years Day Dive at the Storm.

WV Diver
11-12-2007, 10:05
Any of you Darkwater types out there ever dive Mt. Storm on New Years?

I know there are those that do it. I have threatened to several times but never made it out. I have never been able to find anyone going that I knew but now my wife is a diver so we may go whether anyone else does or not.

The final decision for us will be weather dependent. Looks like we are having a fairly good winter so far. We shall see what develops.

Anybody have information on a group that may be planning to go?

emcbride81
11-18-2007, 00:05
Might try to make it, and start off the year the right way!

WV Diver
11-18-2007, 07:02
I may be able to scare up some of the divers from work. I can ask and see if I get any bites. Will you be going by yourself. If so perhaps we can meet you there and we can all dive together.

emcbride81
11-21-2007, 21:58
I will most likely be solo, Glock Diver may not be up to the Frozen Tundra diving...so I will definitely hook up with you!

WV Diver
11-22-2007, 06:22
I may be following Glocks lead. :smiley36: But I will keep an eye on the weather. My regs and other gear are ready to be picked up, I think I will make the trip down on Tuesday to get it all.

mpd525
11-22-2007, 18:02
well, me and the misses are coming to wheeling, on the 26th of Dec to visit her parents. I'm trying to talk her into making a couple of dives while we are there, and shoot down there to Mt. Storm. What will the water temps be like then, i know that's a long way off, but what about a guess.

Kokomo
11-22-2007, 18:53
If the weather holds and the stacks are still running the water temp may be mid 60's

Ohio_diver16
11-22-2007, 22:00
My LDS actually uses Mt Storm for a training facility, Velas Diving in Wheeling. It's about 3 hours from here and believe it or not have yet to dive it, (I did OWCert, in a quarry in Cadiz.) Anyway, I hear good things about the surface temps this year, maintaining around 70 degrees thus far.

mpd525
11-23-2007, 15:34
My wife is from wheeling, i didn't realize that there was that much diving around there. But you learn something new every day. and i'm all about diving new places.

WV Diver
12-11-2007, 16:33
Looks like I am out for the New Years Day Dive, at least officially. You see to make a long story short I ended up having to have a tooth pulled today and the Dentist told me not to do a lot of things for the next six weeks. One of those things is diving. But we'll see. I am not all that concerned about it really. That is 3 weeks away, I will wait and see how it works out and still how the weather holds up. My decision will likely be more weather dependent than anything else. Depending of course on the next couple of weeks.

emcbride81
12-11-2007, 23:42
Tell ya what, come dive New Years, I will bring pliers for an after dive tooth pull...problem solved! :)

WV Diver
12-12-2007, 05:08
Tell ya what, come dive New Years, I will bring pliers for an after dive tooth pull...problem solved! :)Thats' the problem, if I hadn't had it pulled I wouldn't have an issue, but I appreciate the offer. What a pal.:smiley2: :smiley31:

emcbride81
12-12-2007, 21:37
Hey, I am here for my fellow MAD Divers! No task beneath me! :)

emcbride81
12-21-2007, 21:12
How is it looking for the first of the year? If all else fails, I am planning on being there 1/18, which is a Friday. Testing out my new camera before I go to Mexico.

Kokomo
12-25-2007, 20:21
Was reading on another forum that last week bottom temps at Storm were in the 50's. Has anybody been there more recently with an update on this?

fender1165
12-27-2007, 12:14
You probably saw my post. I was there on the 22nd and found around 50 degrees on bottom (around 40 feet for me). I don't know anyone who's been there more recently than that.

emcbride81
12-27-2007, 22:27
50 aint bad...I might get one in before Mexico!

WV Diver
12-28-2007, 07:23
Sorry Eric, at 50*F my group has made the decision to call the dive. Just too cold both in the water and above. Too bad, I will make it there one of these New Years. If you go have fun and don't forget to post a trip report.

Thanks for the update fender1165 we hope to meet you at the Storm in 2008 also.

Good luck Eric and dive safe. I will see you there this spring I'm sure.

mocepts
12-28-2007, 07:29
I stopped by on my way through last weekend, and slung a thermometer out as far I could get it and let it sit for about 30mins. Water temp was around 58F.

emcbride81
12-28-2007, 10:13
Sorry Eric, at 50*F my group has made the decision to call the dive. Just too cold both in the water and above. Too bad, I will make it there one of these New Years. If you go have fun and don't forget to post a trip report.

Me and Glock Diver are going to try to get up there at least once a month from April till the end of 08. I asked Santa for some camping gear and was rewarded despite my antics this year! So if anyone wants to pitch a tent at Abrams Creek campground with us, just let us know! We will do some diving, have some brats and beer, and dive again the next day!

WV Diver
12-28-2007, 11:41

Me and Glock Diver are going to try to get up there at least once a month from April till the end of 08. I asked Santa for some camping gear and was rewarded despite my antics this year! So if anyone wants to pitch a tent at Abrams Creek campground with us, just let us know! We will do some diving, have some brats and beer, and dive again the next day!

Certainly we can make it up there at least once by late May. We have hopes of doing a good bit more diving there in 2008. We really never hit Storm hard till this past fall.

We will run into you.

tedwhiteva
12-28-2007, 13:46
Trying to get motivated to go there to get wet. Don't mind the cold water (dry suit:smiley2:) but the forecast say a high of 36 and windy. Anyone else stupid enough?

kancho
12-28-2007, 14:54
I was just in S. Cali. 54F was still ok to dive in. Most had only 7mm wetsuit. I was in a Drysuit with the thin undergarments

I am Diving this Sunday near the Great lakes I should expect Air to be about 32F, Surface not much better and fairly cold in the water. We will see how I will fare haha.

fender1165
12-28-2007, 21:39
Trying to get motivated to go there to get wet. Don't mind the cold water (dry suit:smiley2:) but the forecast say a high of 36 and windy. Anyone else stupid enough?

Oh I'm stupid enough, but since I just had teeth ripped out this morning that would probably be the quick route to dry socket. Stupid wisdom teeth.

WV Diver
01-01-2008, 15:32
I pity anyone who was at the Storm today. Wow, it's a crazy snow storm out there. I'll bet Mt. Storm is horrible.

hychang
01-02-2008, 09:47
Anybody dive it yesterday? Just curious.

I pity anyone who was at the Storm today. Wow, it's a crazy snow storm at there. I'll bet Mt. Storm is horrible.

wvjohn
01-02-2008, 11:58
6 inches of snow according to the web for yesterday and it does get a mite windy up that way

WV Diver
01-02-2008, 16:42
Anybody dive it yesterday? Just curious.

I pity anyone who was at the Storm today. Wow, it's a crazy snow storm at there. I'll bet Mt. Storm is horrible.

No one that I know of but I'm almost 100% sure that someone from somewhere dove it. It has so many visitors.

WV Diver
01-05-2008, 08:15
I guess it is safe to assume that no one from this board dove the Storm on New Years.

emcbride81
01-05-2008, 16:49
Yeah, I bailed out...tomorrow (Sunday) is tempting, it is supposed to get up to 49 last I looked, but I think I will just go to work instead :(

I am still looking to go on the 18th possibly, weather dependent. Water temps dont worry me, my Bare Arctic has taken me into 41 degree water and been great...it is that friggin wind that worries me!

Kokomo
01-05-2008, 17:35
We know someone diving it tomorrow. We'll get the details.