PDA

View Full Version : Any recreational divers using canister light?

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 15:15
Just wanna get an idea. it's kinda cool, but expensive :smiley2:

BSea
11-12-2007, 15:19
My buddy has a can light, and I know another 2 that use them quite often. I've seen other divers that I didn't know that used them on charters. I'm considering a can light, but I havn't pulled the trigger just yet. I'm still waiting to see what LED's will do in the next year or so.

quasimoto
11-12-2007, 15:23
I do but usually for night dives only. If I need something just to light up a hole then it is the Princeton Tech light.

No Misses
11-12-2007, 15:28
I have considered getting one. I just can't justify the cost. There are some good hand held HID lights for 25% what a canister costs (UK Light Cannon $252). UK Light Cannon, Dive Lights, Underwater Kinetics, UK Light Cannon (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKHID)
My next light will probably be an LED. Keep in mind that max lumens is not the only measure for a light. The Kalvin Temp (color) of the light is just as important. We all learned in OW class that red is the first color to be filtered out by water. Lights on the white/blue end of the spectrum will give you better penetration than incandecent lights that are more on the red end of the spectrum. IMHO.

MSilvia
11-12-2007, 15:35
I have a number of recreational dive buddies who have them, and make good use of them as a communication tool. I'm also in the "See what LEDs do in the next few years" camp, but I may very well take a stab at making my own when I have a workshop again.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 18:04
hmmm, how is the brightness on handheld compared to a canister light at this moment?

BSea
11-12-2007, 20:16
hmmm, how is the brightness on handheld compared to a canister light at this moment? From what I understand (If you are talking the handheld hid) is that the main differance is the time. Can lights work longer. Plus the weight of the can light is on your waist where as the handheld is heavier to hold.

superkingkong
11-12-2007, 20:35
hmmm, how is the brightness on handheld compared to a canister light at this moment? From what I understand (If you are talking the handheld hid) is that the main differance is the time. Can lights work longer. Plus the weight of the can light is on your waist where as the handheld is heavier to hold.

thanks for that info, BSea.

RECDiver
11-12-2007, 21:30
I use a UK D8 dive light with two bulbs, a 10w and 30 watt bulbs. Lots of light when I need it.

MSilvia
11-13-2007, 11:01
I use a UK D8 dive light with two bulbs, a 10w and 30 watt bulbs. Lots of light when I need it.
Yeah, but comparing it to a focused 21W HID canister is like comparing a candle to a flamethrower.

MSilvia
11-13-2007, 11:04
From what I understand (If you are talking the handheld hid) is that the main differance is the time. Can lights work longer.
Focus is another difference. I have a UK HID100, and it throws a pretty wide beam. By comparison, most HID can lights I've seen have focusable (or focused) beams that are lightsaber tight, which allows you to get much better light penetration, and makes them useful for signalling buddies even in daylight.

BSea
11-13-2007, 13:33
From what I understand (If you are talking the handheld hid) is that the main differance is the time. Can lights work longer.
Focus is another difference. I have a UK HID100, and it throws a pretty wide beam. By comparison, most HID can lights I've seen have focusable (or focused) beams that are lightsaber tight, which allows you to get much better light penetration, and makes them useful for signalling buddies even in daylight.
I was thinking more of the newer hid handhelds by dive rite & salvo. But you are right about the light canon it doesn't have as tight a beam as a traditional can light.

bubble-head
11-14-2007, 19:15
I'm planning on investing in a can light in the near-future. The Dive-Rite ones look pretty enticing.

mcc2318
11-22-2007, 15:23
to rich for my blood

vadiver
11-22-2007, 16:35
I use my canister light for all dive applications--both recreational and technical. It's not to look into dark crevices, but to be used as a signaling device. I can signal my buddy in all conditions from low viz NC to the crystal clear Caribbean. Granted they are expensive but you get what you pay for and you only have to buy it once, unlike upgrading lower end substitutes as your diving habits change.

Grin
12-03-2007, 09:35
After diving my new Princton Tech Shockwave a few tiems I am not impressed. I am looking for a HID of some sort now. My diving will be for daytime reef diving. I want alot of light for bad vis situations. I had a UK D8 with the two bulbs, one of which I replaced with the super bulb(I forget the wattage). It was bright, but it is the yellow light type. The LEDs and HIDs are the blue light which is superior for underwater. The problem I see with LEDs is price. Once you get the brightness you want the price is out of whack! I may jjst get a UK Light Cannon. I think that's probably going to be the ticket for my style of diving. The cave diving HID lights get expensive real fast. It's tempting! But they start at about $600 for anything even close to decent in a cave light it seems.
I tryed the LED PT shockwave everyone seemed to think was so great. The next step, I feel, to get at least double that amount of light is a HID. I'm thinking the Light Cannon will work as I don't need to signal people or the reliability for cave diving. We'll see!

mm_dm
12-03-2007, 10:35
If you don't have to be doing anything else with your hands during the dive, that Light Cannon is a pretty good torch. I believe it's a 10 watt light, the same as the low end canister lights.

CaribbeanDiver
12-03-2007, 10:48
no can light here, I see no purpose if I am in OW recreational diving only. Cave diving is something different, if I was to do cave diving, a can light would be a must.
I do have LEDs though and would never go back to anything else. I have a Halcyon scout, a Salvo and a Photon Torpedo by Gulftex. The PT is the best by far.

Z-naught
12-03-2007, 11:36
I'm a recreational diver, and while I intend to pursue some technical dive training in the future, I see no need to wait to buy a canister-type light until "tech" diving is performed. A canister light is simply the best configuration for a dive light in my opinion.

I use Green Force products exclusively for my dive light needs. Specifically, I use an Flexi II battery pack with the HID 50 Pro light head and a Diamond Plus for back up. Robust, reliable, compact, and powerful. You don't have to be a professional diver to enjoy such equipment. In fact, if you're willing to buy used, you can often find high-end equipment for less than half the retail price. Do your homework and shop intelligently.

Cheers.

BSea
12-03-2007, 12:58
no can light here, I see no purpose if I am in OW recreational diving only. Cave diving is something different, if I was to do cave diving, a can light would be a must.
I do have LEDs though and would never go back to anything else. I have a Halcyon scout, a Salvo and a Photon Torpedo by Gulftex. The PT is the best by far.What salvo light do you have? I have the rat light, and love it. But I'm thinking of getting another. So maybe a PT is something I should consider.

CompuDude
12-03-2007, 13:50
I use my canister light for all dive applications--both recreational and technical. It's not to look into dark crevices, but to be used as a signaling device. I can signal my buddy in all conditions from low viz NC to the crystal clear Caribbean. Granted they are expensive but you get what you pay for and you only have to buy it once, unlike upgrading lower end substitutes as your diving habits change.

I agree. I use my Salvo 21w HID canister light on every dive, rec or tec, and love it more than any other piece of gear except perhaps my drysuit (and even then not always!). The only time I would consider leaving it behind is in the clearest of tropical waters, where it's overkill.

The ability to signal your buddy is beyond compare to any consumer-grade light. And I love that I get an entire dive day - day through the night - out of my battery, using it continuously on every dive, since I get over 4 hours on a full charge. (generally... there are rare exceptions when I actually manage to suck it down before the day is over) Charge it overnight, and it's ready to rock again the next morning.

The other huge advantage is the goodman handle, which keeps your hands mostly free for other tasks. Juggling my UK Light Canon and camera was very difficult to pull off. No problem with the can light and it's goodman handle.

The only time I leave the can light behind is on dedicated lobster dives. Then I want to be able to bash the light around freely, drop it whenever I want and be able to stick my hand down the nearest hole in hot pursuit. (plus my light canon has the lobster gauge mounted in front)

Someday, LED will catch up to HID in terms of battery life (LEDs have surprisingly high current draw when you add in enough to approach HID levels of light output), raw light ouput, and critically, focusability. That last is the biggest issue of the three, at the moment... current LED optics have not managed to produce a light that can be focused the same as an HID.

I adore LEDs for backups, however. My Photon Torpedo is the best backup I've ever used by far.

FroggDVR
12-03-2007, 21:55
i use my Sartek 10watt HID on almost all my dives. I like the goodman handle for the light head. it frees up my hands.

PsychDiver
12-04-2007, 07:07
I would love to get a canister light but have two items infront of a new light - a dry suit and a pair of scooters. Boys just want to have fun (all year round).

Grin
12-04-2007, 07:24
I would very much love to buy a Salvo or Sartec 21, but I don't have $1500.00+ for such a item, for open water diving. The $225 for the UK 10W HID Light Cannon is hopefully more my speed. It appears the next step, above the Light Cannon, is the $1000-$1500 plunge on a canister light. I doubt I'll be taking that one. I agree if you think you'll ever need it for cave diving or some other required situation like serious photograhy etc... that it would be a requirement and you just need to pucker up and buy a super good one.
I ordered a Light Cannon, so I'll be finding out! The Shockwave will still be good for lobstering in decent vis conditions or a backup for the supposedly delicate HID. I hope it isn't to delicate!

CompuDude
12-04-2007, 10:50
I would very much love to buy a Salvo or Sartec 21, but I don't have $1500.00+ for such a item, for open water diving. The $225 for the UK 10W HID Light Cannon is hopefully more my speed. It appears the next step, above the Light Cannon, is the $1000-$1500 plunge on a canister light. I doubt I'll be taking that one. I agree if you think you'll ever need it for cave diving or some other required situation like serious photograhy etc... that it would be a requirement and you just need to pucker up and buy a super good one.
I ordered a Light Cannon, so I'll be finding out! The Shockwave will still be good for lobstering in decent vis conditions or a backup for the supposedly delicate HID. I hope it isn't to delicate!

There are lots of ways around paying full retail for a light. I certainly didn't pay $1500 for my Salvo 21w HID can light... which, btw, is only $1350 direct from Salvo (http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/186). (And I paid less than that.)

It's a shame the UK light cannon's price went up so much... I think I paid under $180 for mine less than 2 years ago. Still $225 is not so bad for what you get.

The next step up after the UK light canon is probably the same wattage (10w HID) but in canister form: the 10w HID Salvo (http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/182) would get my nod ($680 full retail direct from Salvo). The tight focus, small size and goodman handle all truly make a huge difference, as does the extra burn time and included NiMH charging system. Far better light, and less half the price of what you are talking about.

And that's without even looking into used lights...

cummings66
12-04-2007, 19:40
I have a Dive Rite 24 Watt HID and to be honest I can't imagine diving without it where I would want a light. It is a real workhorse and if I'm 100 feet down on a freshwater dive it will make the dive memorable compared to a normal light.

I've had buddies drool over mine because it's so bright, plus with the adjustable focus I can make it a pin prick or a wide beam that lights up everything. It's versatile. Take it on a night dive if you want to be suitably impressed with how nice a can light is, how long they last, etc.