PDA

View Full Version : compu-question

cow109
11-12-2007, 22:53
I see that some computers have air mode, nitrox mode, and gauge mode. OK fine, but what's "gauge mode" and under what circumstances would you use it?

ScubaToys Larry
11-13-2007, 04:05
Gauge mode is basically blowing off all the computer functions and using it just as a digital timer and depth gauge. That would be a feature an advanced tech diver might use if doing an extended dive on special gas mixtures - like trimix to depths and times that would have the computer screaming, beeping and freaking out... Those types of dives either use another very sophisticated (and expensive) computer, (like this: Delta P VR3 Dive Computer, Computers: Nitrox, Delta P, Delta P VR3 Dive Computer (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VR3)) or just run special dive tables with the times and depths.

kenmendes
11-13-2007, 08:45
Thanks for the info larry. I was wondering what the guage mode was for too.

BobbyWombat
11-13-2007, 11:07
very sophisticated (and expensive) computer, (like this: Delta P VR3 Dive Computer, Computers: Nitrox, Delta P, Delta P VR3 Dive Computer (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VR3))

Sure it's $1800.....but it comes with a FREE bag, people!!!...what a deal!:smilie39:

abunai671
11-14-2007, 23:36
lots of folks seem to run the VR3 when doing tech diving. i myself am still trying to find a good computer to start with but allow me to use it perhaps as a redundant or gauge computer if i ever got into tech diving.

cow109
11-15-2007, 00:07
One more question: I read the thread about "Do computers need regular maintenance?" to which the general response was "No, just change the battery." However I recently read a reference (can't remember where) to AI computers needing maintenance. Bear in mind, we are not talking about wireless connect type here, but the kind where a hose is pumping high pressure directly into the unit, and presumably there is mechanics and not just electronics at work here. Anybody got facts or opinions?

bperrybap
11-15-2007, 02:44
There are some o-rings in the quick disconnect mechanism that wear out.
They are on the hose side as well as inside the small opening of the AI computer.
I did a lot of dives last year and I had my QD cleaned and o-rings replaced as
part of my annual service at ScubaToys.
While not yet leaking any air, the tiny QD o-ring inside the computer was
showing signs of wear.

--- bill