PDA

View Full Version : New Ohio Diver (Lake Erie)

drifter136
11-13-2007, 10:39
I'm a new diver from central Ohio (in fact, I'm new enough I am still waiting for my C-card in the mail). I am interested in eventually diving Lake Erie and wanted to get a little information.

Based on a 7mm full, 7mm hooded vest (along the lines of the Bare Arctic), gloves, etc. what months can I expect the diving season to consist of? I don't plan on going dry anytime soon.

With being new, I want to stay well within recreational dive limits for a while until I gain more experience (~100ft. max). With that in mind, what are some of the best dive sites? I'm hoping that with Erie being a relatively shallow lake that it would be littered with sites at that depth limit.

Right now, I am the only one I know who dives, so is it pretty easy to find people to dive with? Are there charter companies or do you just find a group of people who have access to a boat?

I'm probably looking at starting to dive Erie sometime next summer.

That's all I can think of for right now, but please feel free to throw out any information about Lake Erie diving you would like. The more I learn, the better.

Thanks in advance!

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 10:48
This is a great place to start finding dive buddies. You can also check you LDS for scheduled trips and see if there is a dive club in your area. These are all good ways to find buddies and get in the water. Welcome to the group here. Sorry I can't answer any of your other questions. IF the question about wetsuits and lake erie do not get answered here you migh try posting that question in another thread that might get more traffic.

You might want to check this thread out as well. There are people in yur area and there will be a lot of local info for you area coming in the near future.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/mid-atlantic-darkwater-diver/

drifter136
11-13-2007, 10:58
Thanks RoadRacer. Right now, there is only one LDS near me, but I plan to move to Columbus in the near future and I think there are more dive shops around there. I will start looking into the dive clubs around the area. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

bobcatdiver
12-11-2007, 08:21
Let me Know Drifter if you find any group going to Erie in the Spring. I would love to go along.

Thanks Bobcat diver

Ber Rabbit
01-16-2008, 12:48
Don't dive Erie out of Cleveland in the spring, the visiblity is usually bad to horrible. We went out in May one year in spite of the charter boat Captain advising us that May is for fishing and the fall is for diving. He was right, we had anywhere from 3-17 feet of visibility but mostly 3-4 feet. He said the visibility really clears up in the late summer/early fall (August-October) and recommended we come back then.
Ber

No Misses
01-16-2008, 12:56
Here is a link to SCUBA clubs in Ohio Ohio scuba clubs, organizations, associations, and societies. (http://scuba.about.com/cs/ohioclubs/)

This club is in Columbus
About.com: http://www.nn.net/nags.htm (http://scuba.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nn.net%2Fnags.ht m)

Good Luck.

scubatonedog
01-16-2008, 15:04
Don't dive Erie out of Cleveland in the spring, the visiblity is usually bad to horrible. We went out in May one year in spite of the charter boat Captain advising us that May is for fishing and the fall is for diving. He was right, we had anywhere from 3-17 feet of visibility but mostly 3-4 feet. He said the visibility really clears up in the late summer/early fall (August-October) and recommended we come back then.
Ber

3-17 Vis is pretty typical all summer in the Central Basin. It really depends on if it has rained or stormed. Erie is shallow and kicks up quickly. It takes 3-4 days of calm to settle down above the thermocline and at least a week below it. The optimal time to dive Erie is mid June to mid August. Mid to late August you may run into algae blooms. I dive the Central Basin in Erie quite often and it can be a Crap Shoot to plan more than a couple of weeks out.

To answer your Suit question, With 7mm figure May to October for the central and western basins. If you go out to the Eastern basin, where its deep, its regularly in the 40's at depth all summer. It really depends on your comfort level in chilly water. I am fine with the 6.5mm top half of my Farmer John in temps down into the upper 50's. My buddy dives a full 7mm John and gets cold in 70 degree water.

Kingpatzer
01-16-2008, 16:01
I don't know anything about Erie, but here in Minnesota we have people who dive year round in a 7mm.

I'm not one of them, but to each their own!

mentalmarine
05-01-2008, 14:42
If you ever need a dive buddy around Ohio let me know. I live in columbus and can drive pretty much anywhere in Ohio.

drifter136
05-11-2008, 18:41
Thanks mentalmarine. I'm hoping to get a few dives in soon. I'll keep you in mind if I need a dive buddy, which I probably will. I might start diving in June to give the quarries a chance to warm up a little more. Thanks again.

DEF
05-26-2008, 22:15
Circleville is probably warmer than most quarries. White Star was mid to upper fifties last week.