PDA

View Full Version : Mares Reg Package-Computer Question?

surfin009
11-13-2007, 11:21
Hey guys,

So I'm very new to diving and looking to get my set up going. I've been looking at regs for a while now and I think I like the Mares MR12 Abyss. I found this package- Mares Regulator Package, Packages: Regulator, Mares, Mares Regulator Package (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Mares_Regulator_Package)

I don't know much about the octo... And not much about the computer either. I've been searching for reviews. Have any of you used it? What do you think ( the console comp.)? Let me know if you need any specific info about me and the type of diving I want to do.
Thanks,
Corey

Zenagirl
11-13-2007, 18:38
Not a big fan of the Vyper octo. I had one and it breathed rather wet so I replaced it.

Puffer Fish
11-13-2007, 20:32
Not a big fan of the Vyper octo. I had one and it breathed rather wet so I replaced it.
I'm sure it could be exchanged for another model... not a bad setup...the reg is nice.

ScubaToys Larry
11-13-2007, 20:37
I like the octo... I like not caring if it's right side up or upside down when I give it to someone. But no problem swapping it out for another. Packages are for you to check out - but we have no problem customizing to your tastes!

lovesmexico615
11-13-2007, 23:20
This is the package I just got- I swapped out the computer console for a TUSA analog console- I have a wrist computer already. I haven't gotten it wet yet, but when I do I'll let you know what I think

surfin009
11-13-2007, 23:39
yeah I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks Larry- already knew you can swap things, thats whats so great about you guys- your customer service! (and prices;-) ) Just wanted to know what, if anything needs to be changed. Also, cant find many reviews on the computer, so wanna know peoples experiences.

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 07:13
yeah I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks Larry- already knew you can swap things, thats whats so great about you guys- your customer service! (and prices;-) ) Just wanted to know what, if anything needs to be changed. Also, cant find many reviews on the computer, so wanna know peoples experiences.
I assume both options are Nitrox, but I know people with the wrist one they have there, and they seem to work well. The price is absolutly great for either. The next step up in cost tends to be a big one. Bang for the buck, don't know how you could do much better for a Nitrox computer.

Defman
11-14-2007, 08:03
I assume both options are Nitrox, but I know people with the wrist one they have there, and they seem to work well. The price is absolutly great for either. The next step up in cost tends to be a big one. Bang for the buck, don't know how you could do much better for a Nitrox computer.

The console doesn't mention being Nitrox, the wrist model does. I had the earlier Mares Surveyor Nitrox wrist model and liked it very much. User replaceable batteries is nice and they last quite a while (at least they did on my Surveyor), but I always would swap them out before a dive trip just to make sure they were in good shape... cheap insurance!

rfreddo
11-14-2007, 09:21
I have the wrist model Mares M2 and really like it. FYI - I chose to go wrist mounted after hearing my OW dive buddy and others wish they had gone wrist mount rather than console as a first computer. I especially appreciate the wrist mount during ascent when I'm holding my inflator hose over my head to dump air and looking upwards for obstacles. Just made sense to me to have my computer right there in my line of sight where I can keep track of depth and ascent rate. Just my 2 cents.

surfin009
11-15-2007, 00:08
thanks for the reply's so far guys! The comp is nitrox- i checked the mares site, though there really doesnt seem to be much info about it.. anyone actually have this?? About the console vs wrist- I really hate wearing watches.. I don't like them on land, and when I wear them surfing/diving I dont like it either.. I kinda like the fact that I can look in just one area to get all info, not have to look @ wrist for depth/time/temp/etc and then look @ console for SPG and compass, and so far I havent minded diving with the analog console i've been using... perhaps later i'll change my mind.. but for now I think this is best for me, maybe i'm wrong? Plus I can see myself taking it off after diving and misplacing it, or getting it squished by weights or something, vs having it all in a console that goes in its bag.

rfreddo
11-15-2007, 09:46
As far as function, the console mount and wrist mount computers are identical to the best of my knowledge. I've used mine on about 15 dives. Here's my list of pros and cons:

Pros:

- Very simple display; uncluttered and limited to critical info
- Always-on backlighting, if desired
- User changeable batteries

Cons:

- Always the most conservative computer in the group
- Calls for safety stops at 15' with little margin for wiggle room (if there is a variance of even a foot or 2 between my computer and my buddies, which is not uncommon, my computer doesn't like us to hang at the same depth. It wants me at 15'. Period)
- Buttons a bit tough to press, especially with gloves
- Not the most intuitive page scrolling, but after a few dives, it becomes second nature.
- If you ascent beyond 3 feet, you only have 3 minutes to head back down or it calls the dive and starts logging a new dive.
- No clock feature on main display screen.
- User's manual needs to be re-translated from the original Italian text.

SO . . . more negatives than positives from a pure objective view. But, substantively, the pros outweigh the negatives for my style of diving. I like the M2 and I'm glad I purchased it as a first, non-budget-breaking computer.

Hope this helps.

indatexas
11-15-2007, 17:41
Thanks for the info. After making a list of different items, that package is basically what I was looking for price range wise.