PDA

View Full Version : Don't order from Scuba.com

ucrtwf
11-13-2007, 14:32
If you want your stuff. I usually always buy from Scubatoys, but this time they didn't have the mask and a couple other things I wanted. I ordered some stuff a full two weeks before my trip thinking I'd have plenty of time. A week goes by and I call to see why it hasn't been shipped. They said they were waiting for a couple of things (which nobody ever told me they didn't have in stock). I said ship what you have, and I put in an emergency order with Scubatoys for the rest. I called twice on Friday to make sure they would cancel the other stuff off the order and ship what they had, they swore they would have it on the truck that day. I get an email on Sunday saying it was shipped. I figured it was a delay in the system since A) they told me for certain the order was going on the truck on Friday and B) Fed ex doesn't pick up on Sunday. I finally get an email today saying it was logged in on MONDAY NIGHT... of course it won't be here by the time I leave for my trip.....EEHHEHhhGGGHh!
So, take it from me. Don't believe what they say. Don't order from them since they won't tell you if the stuff is in stock or not. The policy they state "we'll notify you if the stuff isn't in stock" is a complete line of BS.
I don't feel better, but at least I hope to save someone else from a headache.
Tim

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-13-2007, 15:06
Thanks for the heads-up!

RoadRacer1978
11-13-2007, 15:12
So sorry to hear about your ordeal. Just makes us all appreciate the customer service at ScubaToys that much more.

quasimoto
11-13-2007, 15:21
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have ordered several times from Scuba.com and have had good luck so far. I do have to say that they didn't want to sell me a DIN conversion for my reg. They wanted me to send it in. So I called someplace else and ordered it.

Xspect
11-13-2007, 17:24
On order broads I have heard similar if not worst stories about scuba. I'll think Ill stick with ST.

Zenagirl
11-13-2007, 18:34
I've never had any problem with Scuba.com, but I also have never ordered something I needed "now". If I need it soon I call ST since I know it'll come quickly without hassles.

RECDiver
11-13-2007, 18:47
Well, I have ordered in the past from scuba.com and not had any problems, but that was a couple of years ago. Things can change. I have been very happy with ST. The downside is I have to pay the salestax in Texas, but I usually get the package the next day if I order in the morning unless they have to order something that is not instock.

JahJahwarrior
11-13-2007, 19:27
In general, the sponsors of Scubaboard are generally trustworthy. I think Scuba.com has an ad up there...but I don't know how active they are on the board. Scubatoys is active there, as are af ew other companies, such as Scuba123.com. If you find them on SB (which isn't hard, look in the "Hot Deals" section, usually they'll have a post up) you can PM them and often they'll bend over backwards just like ST will, to make sure you are pleased.

I try not to buy from companies that I cannot contact through SB :)

Dive-aholic
11-14-2007, 04:57
I've had similar issues with scuba.com. They don't notify you if the item is not in stock. The only way to find out is by checking the status of your order and seeing the note there that items are out of stock. I've waited over 4 weeks for some items because of this issue. I don't buy from them if I can help it.

Flatliner
11-14-2007, 05:56
I ordered once from Scuba.com. It wasn't the best experience. I ordered in plenty of time for my trip. Called to change my order (which never got changed) called 2x more to find out why it hadn't shipped, (I am starting to panic now) and they said that I didn't pay for expidited shipping so it would be guarinteed in some assinine long amount of time. I tell them my brother and my boss live in OC and I know how long shipping should take and that is why I didn't pay for 2 day. (I had 2 weeks when I ordered) Long story short to get it when I needed it, they said I had to pay for extra shipping. NEVER AGAIN...ST Only

kenmendes
11-14-2007, 07:59
Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't like scuba.com either they are way more expensive than Scubatoys

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 08:48
I know for certain that if you order something from ScubaToys and it is out of stock, they will telephone you to offer options.
The one thing I really love about ScubaToys is the fact that I can depend on getting what I ordered in 2-3 days, everytime.
Great Service is impossible to beat.

LiteHedded
11-14-2007, 09:07
never had any negative experiences with scubatoys. they're the only retailer I do business with unless they just plain don't carry something I need.
just ordered a wetsuit. they notified me it's not in stock but had it drop shipped from pinnacle so I would have it for my dives this weekend. top notch service.
and with our discounts why would you buy elsewhere anyway? ;)

mike_s
11-14-2007, 11:40
If you want your stuff. I usually always buy from Scubatoys, but this time they didn't have the mask and a couple other things I wanted. I ordered some stuff a full two weeks before my trip thinking I'd have plenty of time. A week goes by and I call to see why it hasn't been shipped. They said they were waiting for a couple of things (which nobody ever told me they didn't have in stock). [snip]

So, take it from me. Don't believe what they say. Don't order from them since they won't tell you if the stuff is in stock or not. The policy they state "we'll notify you if the stuff isn't in stock" is a complete line of BS.
I don't feel better, but at least I hope to save someone else from a headache.
Tim

I've been told that Scuba.com hardly stocks anything with their business model.

Their business model is actually kinda creatively neat and a huge reduction in overhead. They are located in California, where most of the dive industry ships from. They get in orders from customers and then place 'quick ship orders' with the manufacturers and then send a truck around to their major manufacturers to pick the stuff up.

Or they order only what they think they'll sell that week.

With this business model, they don't have to stock huge amounts of stuff and can just pick it up and then turn around and ship it to the customer. Talk about an overhead reduction. For someone like Henderson Wetsuits that to stock every wetsuit in every color in every sex (male/female) and in every size, including male/female) would be a HUGE overhead for a dive shop.

With not having to stock anything, it bascially means that their inventory is paid for by the customer before they every have to order it. Which adds to profits. While this might be a creative business model to reduce overhead, it also means that the customer suffers because you have to wait for items to be picked up (or shipped) to them so that they can turn around and re-ship them to the diver.

In general, the sponsors of Scubaboard are generally trustworthy. I think Scuba.com has an ad up there...but I don't know how active they are on the board. :)

They might be a paying advertiser, but they don't have an ongoing posting pressence on the board. (But I think they have posted before) But rest assured that they read posts on message boards because the owners wife got in an argument on The Deco Stop about Scuba.com "reporting" MAP Violators to scuba manufacturers and Scuba.com even created a website list that listed all the violators and and the products they violated on. Scuba.com apparently uses web robots to scan competitors websites and then checks the item against a database of MAP prices.

The funny thing is that even though they report MAP prices to manufacturres on other scuba stores, they themselves will openly violate MAP. So it's kinda "two faced" and hypocritical of them.

How do they survive with these business tatics and this business model? well they do about $12 to $14 million a year in sales in the scuba industry and are only second to Leisure Pro in sales. So even with a few pissed off customers, they are still staying on top and don't seem to care.

how do you like dem' apples?

CompuDude
11-14-2007, 13:29
I've never had any problem with Scuba.com, but I also have never ordered something I needed "now". If I need it soon I call ST since I know it'll come quickly without hassles.

Likewise. I've ordered a few times from them and with one very notable exception, been pleased with the service, although everything I ordered was very much non-time sensitive.

The one exception was for a light cannon a little over a year ago. I live in SoCal, so most of my orders from them have come within a day or two even with standard shipping, so that was my norm when ordering from them, which made me very happy. With the light cannon order, however, I apparently hit the "not in stock" issue square on the head. I called over a week later to see where the light was, since I had a trip coming up and the two weeks I had budgeted should have been more than enough.

Turns out when you select standard shipping they allow something like 2-3 weeks (I forget, but it does say on the order form) for it to get to you. They may ship it that same day... or they may ship it in 2-3 weeks!

I canceled the order and ordered the light from ScubaToys instead. (May have been my first order from them, actually.) Even paying expedited shipping, with the board discount and since I didn't pay tax in Texas (but do in CA), I think it ended up costing within $5 of the original order... and I received the light in 2 days, in time for my trip.

I don't think I've ordered from Scuba.com since... or if I have, it's only on small, non-time sensitive items where I genuinely don't care how long it takes. I have nothing against going to them for something in the future, but it's definitely a buyer beware situation in my book, and something I would do only after determining getting it from ScubaToys isn't the optimal choice for whatever reason.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 15:33
Their business model is actually kinda creatively neat and a huge reduction in overhead. They are located in California, where most of the dive industry ships from. They get in orders from customers and then place 'quick ship orders' with the manufacturers and then send a truck around to their major manufacturers to pick the stuff up.

Or they order only what they think they'll sell that week.

With this business model, they don't have to stock huge amounts of stuff and can just pick it up and then turn around and ship it to the customer. Talk about an overhead reduction. For someone like Henderson Wetsuits that to stock every wetsuit in every color in every sex (male/female) and in every size, including male/female) would be a HUGE overhead for a dive shop.

With not having to stock anything, it bascially means that their inventory is paid for by the customer before they every have to order it. Which adds to profits. While this might be a creative business model to reduce overhead, it also means that the customer suffers because you have to wait for items to be picked up (or shipped) to them so that they can turn around and re-ship them to the diver.

That is the one thing that stood out. They are possibly sacrificing customer service for more profits. I understand that a business has to make profits to keep the doors open, but the guys as ScubaToys seem to be managing pretty good. And they pass saving on to us, the customer instead of making the largest possible profit off each item they sell. Guess it goes to show you can have your cake and eat it too with ScubaToys. :)

gibson1525
11-14-2007, 17:28
i had a similar experience. i ordered a camera for a friend to bring to me in dominica when he came to visit. it was ordered just over 2 weeks before he left, i even paid for 5 day shipping just to make sure. i got the tracking number and anxiously followed the package as it made it's way to across the country, i guess it forgot to stop in kansas where it was supposed to be delivered. the tracking number showed that it was headed for the east coast. after calling, waiting and having to be called back they said that they never shipped the camera because they didn't have it and didn't even carry that camera any more. so with only a few days to go i placed bought another camera and had it overnighted to my friend.

well i got a call from my friend the next day saying that he had 2 cameras arrive at his house. they didn't even know that they had shipped my camera, i don't think i want to do business with someone who can't even tell what they are shipping on a daily basis.

Steve Scuba
11-14-2007, 19:28
When I ordered my personal gear from Scuba.com (before I even heard about ST), it took well over two weeks to get here - more like three. I was sweating it, since it was right before my OW class was supposed to start.

Later on, I found something on their site that they didn't have at ST. So I shot ST an email with a link to the item to see if perhaps ST had it, and just didn't show it on the website. Got an email back from Joe saying they would beat the Scuba.com price, and have the item dropped shipped from the manufacturer. This was on a Saturday. I got the item on Tuesday of the same week, and ST charged me even less than they quoted!

It's like day and night.

wheelman
11-14-2007, 19:33
I have ordered with scuba.com 3 times before... no issues. Not to say they couldn't happen, sounds like I got lucky.

skippy11
11-14-2007, 23:05
I hate it you had a bad experience! I have only order w/ Scuba.com once before I found ST. I didn't have a problem, but I have heard so many others who did.

kyfriedchipper
11-14-2007, 23:22
good advice - also - what's with the weird lady avatar on their site?? - looks like they need to work on their shipping and customer service policies and not fictional avatars!

ScubaJW
11-16-2007, 01:18
I have ordered a few from Scuba.com, never had a problem. Of course, nothing beats Scubatoys! :)

Silverlode
11-16-2007, 04:35
Thanks for the headsup. Looks like I'll stick with Scubatoys.

Marcus
11-19-2007, 11:07
I also had a bad problem with scuba.com I ordered a Zeagle ZX Octo. scuba.com had it on backorder for a month. The month goes by and they send me a Zeagle envoy octo with an inventory sticker that says ZX. I call them and confirm that it had been factory mislabeled. I send it back and they assure me that they will correct the problem, but the REAL ZX is on backorder.

I wait another month, and they set to ship my item. I e-mailed the same person that I had been dealing with requesting an expedited shipping at scuba.com's cost considering that they cost me 2 months worth of dive time lost for THEIR mistake. What happens? They change the order to 3-day, but go ahead and charge me the full price. 2 months, and scuba.com did nothing to make sure that my order got expedited, in addition to the fact that I could have been in danger diving with the zeagle octo that I thought was ZX cold weather capable octo that I ordered, but was not.

The prices are good there, but I really wasn't happy with the service.

mike_s
11-19-2007, 12:14
The prices are good there, but I really wasn't happy with the service.

Seeing how other shops that have great service will match their prices.... I see no sense in even messing with Scuba.com

To me, this is a no brainer....

b1draper
01-03-2008, 09:08
I've had some of the same problems with SCUBA.COM. I'll order something then wait until I receive the email saying it's been shipped. After a couple days I'll try tracking the order only to find out that the order isn't trackable because it didn't ship yet.

Then I called them, only to be told that they don't know why it didn't ship but "they'll make sure it's on the truck today" which it never usually is. I've learned that when ordering from SCUBA.COM don't order anything that you need quick.

RoyN
01-03-2008, 15:21
I can't order from scuba.com because of sales taxes in my state....

snagel
01-03-2008, 16:31
I got a gift certificate for scuba.com for christmas. Made an order on 12/25 (my first ever). Just got an email saying it would ship on 1/21 because it was backordered. I wasn't surprised because I have heard this all before. Will stick with scubatoys, but what do you do when you get a gift certificate.

S. Nagel