PDA

View Full Version : gifts for SO

ScubaJenn81
11-13-2007, 16:17
I am just curious who else has a husband/BF/SO that they feel is hard to buy gifts for and what they do at gift giving times of the year. I am in a pickle, I can not think of anything to get my husband for Christmas this year. I have a few little things, but I need a real gift. Last year I got him a nice scuba rolling duffle, so he does not need anything else scuba based. He has pretty much whatever he needs as it is.

Anyone else facing this problem?

BuzzF117
11-13-2007, 16:20
Get him either a PS3 or a Nintendo Wii.....or a really nice lawn tractor, man I could go on and on, oh wait thats my list sorry no ideas

TRACI
11-13-2007, 16:23
I can relate, but I am the difficult person to buy for in our relationship, I think it is a control issue. I like buying my own stuff:) Especially dive gear because it is such a individual preference. So pretty much we have decided we do not exchange gifts.

No Misses
11-13-2007, 16:24
How about signing up for the beer of the month club. It is the gift that gives all year long :-)
Beer of the Month Club - Microbrewed Beer Clubs International and Domestic (http://www.beermonthclub.com/)

No Misses
11-13-2007, 16:31
Here is what I did with family and friends.
As we grew older, it was harder and harder to exchange meaningful gifts. So instead we would splurge on a night out. We would make reservations at one of the better restuarants in town, rent a limo, etc. The cost would be split evenly. We had a great time and the cost was less than buying a bunch of crap that the other people didn't want in the first place.

Start your own tradition :-)

dallasdivergirl
11-13-2007, 16:32
I used to listen to what he had said that he had wanted through out the year or when we went places what he spent time looking at but not buying. If he really does have everything is there something he wouldn't buy himself? Massages, time with a personal trainer, some one to mow the lawn/clean the gutters, or give him a book of gift certifcate from you ;)

Now, all my Christmas buying is for the dogs, easy to please and cheap.

TRACI
11-13-2007, 16:44
I like gift certificates, some people think they are impersonal, but it is a win-win situation, you can buy something they want, and the person giving the gift does not get stressed out about trying to find the perfect gift.

unclepooty
11-13-2007, 16:47
Like No Misses, as we all got older and more difficult to buy for. We started going on trips with the folks instead of spending money on gifts.

NitroWill
11-13-2007, 17:09
If he doesnt need any more scuba gear, take a look at this site, they have a lot of cool things! I got a lot of stuff last year from them, from sister to grandma!

ThinkGeek :: Stuff for Smart Masses (http://www.thinkgeek.com)

Suther2136
11-13-2007, 19:04
I am just curious who else has a husband/BF/SO that they feel is hard to buy gifts for and what they do at gift giving times of the year. I am in a pickle, I can not think of anything to get my husband for Christmas this year. I have a few little things, but I need a real gift. Last year I got him a nice scuba rolling duffle, so he does not need anything else scuba based. He has pretty much whatever he needs as it is.

Get him what he really wants, a weekend away with his girl. My wife has done this for me in the past and it's a blast. Get a B&B in the city or country side, plan meals a favorite restaurants. Check the web for events that may be going on that you like. If you have kiddos, get them off to the rents and just go spend some time alone.

Cheddarchick
11-13-2007, 19:26
I never go wrong with tools.......I started with a nice tool cabinet and just keep filling it

ScubaGir1
11-13-2007, 21:20
What are his hobbies? Besides scuba diving lol
Maybe that'll give us more of an idea for hints for you. :)

Is he into computers? You could get him a nice new flat screen monitor. I know Best Buy will be having killer deals on "Black Friday" if you dare to go out LOL.

Camera, underwater camera, a new TV, dvd recorder, George Foreman Grill, something for the car (disk changer, mp3 player, speakers), IPod, Espresso maker, tools, and I'm sure there's more but can't think of any LOL Good luck!!

Bryanmc
11-13-2007, 21:42
How about the scuba t-shirt of the month club as advertised in the back of Scuba Diving magazine? Sounds awesome to me and it keeps giving for a whole year!!

nolan319
11-13-2007, 23:19
You could always buy a boat :)

ScubaJenn81
11-14-2007, 12:26
How about the scuba t-shirt of the month club as advertised in the back of Scuba Diving magazine? Sounds awesome to me and it keeps giving for a whole year!!

Any links to this? I tried to google, and did not find anything. Thanks.

ScubaJenn81
11-14-2007, 12:28

Is he into computers? You could get him a nice new flat screen monitor. I know Best Buy will be having killer deals on "Black Friday" if you dare to go out LOL.

Camera, underwater camera, a new TV, dvd recorder, George Foreman Grill, something for the car (disk changer, mp3 player, speakers), IPod, Espresso maker, tools, and I'm sure there's more but can't think of any LOL Good luck!!

That is the problem, I think he has eveything he needs. We just got a new tv, he has an ipod, and I do not know enough about his car needs. I do like the trip idea, but it is hard both of us to get time off of work at the same time. Luckily, I still have a few weeks to figure it all out.

Suther2136
11-14-2007, 18:03

That is the problem, I think he has eveything he needs. We just got a new tv, he has an ipod, and I do not know enough about his car needs. I do like the trip idea, but it is hard both of us to get time off of work at the same time. Luckily, I still have a few weeks to figure it all out.

Which is why you should go with perishable events, plays, football tickets, basketball tickets, NASCAR tickets weekend away, a massage, etc...things that you can give again later.

booger
11-14-2007, 19:44
Maybe this doesn't sound too romantic, but given the time of year and all of the money you spend on other people my fiance and I usually don't buy X-mas gifts for eachother. Instead, we wait till the holidays are over and go on a nice little trip. (Usually diving oriented).

Bryanmc
11-14-2007, 22:28

Any links to this? I tried to google, and did not find anything. Thanks.

SCUBA Shirt Club : Home (http://www.scubashirtclub.com)

MonkeysInk
11-14-2007, 23:03
I just asked mine and he said "new dress shirts", so I thought I'd get that for him, but a little nicer than he would have done for himself (like have his initials monogrammed on the cuffs). I think that way they get what they want, but you can still put a thoughtful twist on it.

kyfriedchipper
11-14-2007, 23:24
My wife's birthday IS Christmas too! So I got the double whammy - its not so bad - allows me to buy one really big thing each year and have the rest of the year to pay it off!!!

Zenagirl
11-15-2007, 07:23
My husband and I ran into this problem many years ago and decided not to exchange gifts anymore. Since we are usually on Maui at Christmas, we simply call that our "gift". I think doing something together every year and making it a tradition makes the holiday more fun since there's no "stress" of gift giving. And whatever you do as a couple doesn't have to be ON the holiday.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 08:10

Get him what he really wants, a weekend away with his girl. My wife has done this for me in the past and it's a blast. Get a B&B in the city or country side, plan meals a favorite restaurants. Check the web for events that may be going on that you like. If you have kiddos, get them off to the rents and just go spend some time alone.
Cool Idea. I'll have to try that one day.

scubaculture
11-15-2007, 08:25
My wife's birthday IS Christmas too! So I got the double whammy - its not so bad - allows me to buy one really big thing each year and have the rest of the year to pay it off!!!

Same this side! Gives me a good excuse to go overboard and really splurge :)

skippy11
11-18-2007, 09:44
My hubby and I too kinda axed the gift giving thing. Last year, we rented a cabin for a week. It was awesome. (These cabins were more like a private retreat in the woods; w/ hot tubs, outdoor firepits, etc.) we built fires every night, went hiking, a few trips to the winery up the road, etc. It was nice just getting away w/ him w/out the kiddo.

we still do the vacation thing, but this was just a nice get away for us!

BeachBunnyCrissy
11-18-2007, 13:20
Sporting tickets.... I think your always safe with sporting tickets, if your a sports nut like me its win-win

Beecharmer
11-18-2007, 13:41
Gettin my S/O a GPS. It's what he said he wanted.

BeachBunnyCrissy
11-20-2007, 16:54
Gettin my S/O a GPS. It's what he said he wanted.

Are you getting the GPS that can program dive sites and is water resistant?

Anne Eastwell
11-20-2007, 20:25
I'm going through the same dilemma as we speak. My SO keeps buying stuff that I've mentally added to his list! I've had to tell him to stop buying things... I've had no brainstorms in the last 12 hours that I could suggest to you, but he's recently bought a new 4wd trailer, a new mobile phone with GPS (that was two gifts... phone and sat nav). I bought a lawnmower coz we needed it but I wouldn't give that as a present anyway... nothing worse than a present that makes you work!

rach
11-20-2007, 20:55
this year instead of physical presents, my hubby and i are spending a week diving with the hammerheads in the bahamas...totally a win-win!

scubajane
11-20-2007, 22:37
we usually take a trip together. time together is better than anything that needs to be dusted.

kyfriedchipper
11-20-2007, 22:54
traveling is the best - the memories are what you'll cherish the most down the road

ParrotheadDiver
11-21-2007, 07:26
we do not exchange gifts we usually go to Cozumel every Christmas but this year the money is too tight and we are getting to see the grandkid for Christmas....but his b-day is 12/23 so I am looking at getting him a GPS with a bracket that will attach to his motorcycle....anyone know of one that can take or has the attachment

SYOTABUCS
11-21-2007, 09:59
We are spending Christmas in Cozumel for our gifts to each other. And will splurge a little more with a massage. In fact we have agreed to let anniv., and birthdays pass without getting presents. We just contribute whatever we would have spent on a gift, to the diving trip fund.

Still go out fro a special meal for special occasions but you get the picture.

Anne Eastwell
11-29-2007, 17:39
I've just bought my SO a radio controlled helicopter and a flying insect.... there's no way he's going to guess what these are under the tree!!!!!

divechaplain-sara
11-30-2007, 16:07
Last year I bought my bf who is a big art fan a membership to the local art museum for Christmas. He's a history buff and likes to read so I got him a couple of war history books for his birthday. Movie or theater tickets would always be a good gift for him. He buys himself more expensive clothes than I can afford to get him.

scubajane
11-30-2007, 17:35
time is the best gift. time together. do a big theme thing like go to a cool movie and dress the part go to a similar restaurant for dinner and then promise to buy the video when it comes out.

Suther2136
11-30-2007, 17:37
I'm the same way, I really don't want or need anything. Having said that, how about a special bottle of wine or three?

BuzzF117
11-30-2007, 19:28
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=189200&G=70084&I=69862

nuf said

scubajane
12-04-2007, 18:32
my dream gift is a maid that is blind to my mess and mute so she can't tell what she saw. and a speedy and can clean my house in 1 day. those dang elves keep making a mess and throwing all my stuff around

TheProf
12-16-2007, 14:50
Like others have said, we spend most of our gift $ on trips together. An inexpensive idea is to get a nice frame or scrapbook/photo album and fill it up to showcase photos of the 2 of you and your trip.

If he doesn't have it already, what about a subscription to XM radio?

If you go the GPS route, you could look up some local sites for geocaching. It's a silly but fun activity you can do together.

divingmedic
12-22-2007, 20:50
About 9 hours of hot sweaty, nasty hair pulling animalistic sex is always a great gift:smiley2::smilie39:

azdiver
12-27-2007, 14:29
why stop after only 9 hours! :-)