PDA

View Full Version : DSLR underwater settings

Scubakraut
11-13-2007, 17:42
What are the best settings (ISO, AV, TV) you guys experienced with in underwater photography?

dbh
11-13-2007, 21:48
There is no set answer to your question. There are so many variables like: lens you are shooting, clear or cloudy / dark water, sun strength and position, etc.

In clear water at recreational depths, you want to shoot the lowest ISO that the camera has (usually 100 or 200). In dark murky water you would have to shoot a higher ISO, but that means more "noise" in the photo.

I have no idea what AV and TV are :-).

Dave

Scubakraut
11-14-2007, 11:49
AV = Aperture Value also known as F stop number
TV = Time Value aka Shutter priority speed

Scubakraut
11-14-2007, 11:51
Would it be ok to let the camera choose the setttings, by simply selecting the ISO speed and let the camera choose it's AV and TV values? Most photography I'd probably do in blue clear water at maybe 60' or above. Using a strobe as well.

dbh
11-14-2007, 20:56
I don't feel that works very well underwater. When you let the camera choose the settings, it does not know it is underwater and chosses settings more appropriate for topside. For wide angle, I set the shutter speed to the f8-f11 range then meter the background. The aperture will vary quite a bit (1/60 - 1/250) depending on whether the sun is out, where it is in relation to your shot, how deep you are, etc. Macro is not as crucial because you don't have any part of shot that is not lit by your strobes. I start out at f22 and 1/125.

HTH,
Dave

Aussie
11-16-2007, 20:13
Would it be ok to let the camera choose the setttings, by simply selecting the ISO speed and let the camera choose it's AV and TV values? Most photography I'd probably do in blue clear water at maybe 60' or above. Using a strobe as well.

Firstly I would not bother with using Auto mode for underwater. The whole idea of dSLR is that you use Manual mode and play with all the little knobs and dials. If you wanted a auto mode camera the compact point and shoot would be more suited.

You are asking a very generalised question in regards to best underwater settings with Aperture and Shutterspeed. Its like saying whats the best Aperture and Shutterspeed when shooting on dry land. It depends on what and how your shooting. Auto mode does not cut it underwater.

There is so many different virations on aperture and shutterspeed which work on the many different locations and subjects, lenses, cameras, strobes used etc etc.

To give you an idea:

I have my ISO set on the lowest which for me is 100.

Using a 60mm Nikkor Macro lens on a Nudibranch (stationary) I start with shutter speed of 1/80th and Aperture of f-22. I take the shot review the playback and also check the histogram graph of the shot. I am shooting with two DS125 strobes so most likely it will be a little over exposed or the background to light (blue). So I turn the Aperture up (f-25,f-29). This increases my depth of field which is important in macro work and delivers a crisp clear shot with plenty of colour but has the background in bold dark/black to give more effect to the subject.
A small fish swims past the nudibranch you just been taking shots of. It moves around a little bit so you know you need to increase the shutter speed. Start with 1/125th-1/200th and change the aperture back to f-20. Take a shot and review. If its too dark turn down the Aperture to f-18 or lower. If the fish is blurred increase the shutterspeed.

Thats an example of one stlye of shooting with one lens which is made for the purpose of macro photography. Each lens and setup can get different effects.

Always important to shoot, review and adjust.

Let us know what Camera, Lens/es, strobes etc and what effect your after and we can give a more accurate answer to your question.

Hope this helps.

Aussie