PDA

View Full Version : Full Foot vs. Open Heel

Tableleg
11-13-2007, 16:47
I'm still debating what to spend my CG on and I think I'm leaning towards new fins. My paddles have treated me well, but I think it's time to move onto a split fin.

So the Bios have always glimmered in my eye, though I'm wondering what the price difference is between the full boot (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFinFullFoot) and the open heel (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins) were. Is the preference of the open heel driving the price down on the full foot? Are the only differences the donning/doffing?

According to Apollo's website (http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Overview.htm#whichfin):

The result of enclosing your entire foot is 100% energy transfer to the blade. This will actually provide a stronger performance than possible with a open heel strap style and the fins are lighter to travel with.

So if they "work better" (how does one 'loose energy transfer' by having an open heel), then why are they not preferred? And how does that make them lighter?

If I can pick up a pair of Bios for $10 after my CG's, I think this is a no-brainer. But I want to make sure these fins are something I'll want to use and not more trouble than their worth. :smiley2:

So I need thoughts and opinions. What do you guys think?

diversteve
11-13-2007, 17:00
If you ever go anywhere to shoredive that requires walking out over rocks or coral/ironshore you won't be doing it with the fins on. But you will need a good pair of treaded boots. Places like Bonaire and Curacao. Personally I even walk out on nice sandy beaches and put my fins on when I'm floating. I think that would be harder to do with full-foot fins.

Probably the price difference is that most split-fin makers stil pay a big royalty to Nature's Wing, the split-fin patent holder. Or at least used to.

Otoh, jumping off a boat seems to me to be about a wash.

And I only travel to dive so I'm likely to have seen divers with them if they were easier to travel with. But in reality, I've seen very few. No one I know uses full-foot fins except for snorkeling.

It's not the weight but the length that makes fins hard to travel with.

RECDiver
11-13-2007, 19:00
I agree with diversteve. If you are walking over rocks, ironshore or dead coral to get to the water you will need booties. If all you do is dive off a boat, full foot fins work great.

chace_nicole
11-13-2007, 21:35
I agree with above posters. I got the full foot fins for OW because I was sure that I would only be doing warm water, off the boat diving. I now wish I would have purchased the open heel & some boots just because they are more versatile if you ever change your mind, which I have. My feet were killing me all geared up & having to walk on rocks...ouch!

navyhmc
11-13-2007, 21:41
My vote is for open heel as well. For me, even good fitting closed heel fins cause blisters. I've never had a blister with boots/OH vs socks/bare feet in CH fins.

Tableleg
11-13-2007, 22:16
My current paddle style are open heel and I use a pair of 3mm soft sole boots with them very sucessfully. Would it be possible to use my boots with the CH bios? navyhmc, did you ever try the CH with boots? Why couldn't you simply wear your boots as you walk to your dive site, then put the fins on once your in the water? Are CH hard to put on? Is it more so once you get into the water?

johnyringo
11-13-2007, 22:58
I use both full foot AND open heel...of course, not at the same time. open heel for cold water and shore diving. Full foot for warm water, boat diving. The up side to full foot fins is they're lighter, easier to put on and take off, and it means two less pieces of gear to deal with (boots that never seem to dry, and no matter what you do get funkier as the week goes by). And I think they do give a little more power to your kick...o.k. maybe I'm just imagining that but it sure feels like it. OH, as for blisters, I get one in the same place every time so I put a piece of tape there. One application lasts all day, end of problem.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck!

diversteve
11-13-2007, 23:22
Why couldn't you simply wear your boots as you walk to your dive site, then put the fins on once your in the water?What to do with the boots once in the water? Take them off and put them in your pocket? Throw them back on shore and hope the tide doesn't come in while you're out? Full foot fins are typically worn barefoot or maybe with neoprene socks (http://www.divers-supply.com/2MM-NEOPRENE-SOCKS-p/atl50149.htm).

danielh03
11-14-2007, 00:17
First off, I think you will enjoy Bio's, but go with open heel for sure. The full foot fin will hinder you greatly unless you do strickly boat dives.

CompuDude
11-14-2007, 01:54
I'm with the group. Full foot fins are fun and simple, but incredibly limited as to when you can use them. I use FF fins when I'm boat diving with resorts that provide all the gear, and it's fine and dandy. (Altho beware the blister issue)

But I use open heel everywhere else.

And frankly, after hearing a divemaster on my last trip tell about getting some jellyfish stuck in the foot pocket, I'm not sure I want to go full foot ever again... not without a neoprene sock, at least. And then you may as well just use open heel fins.

That said, I probably wouldn't mind them as a second pair of fins. I wouldn't buy them to replace my regular fins, however... and I wouldn't travel with fins that are limited in application.

Hollywood703
11-14-2007, 06:23
Open Heel all the way.......tried a pair of closed heal in warm water and they were OK, but definately limited usage......Closed heel with some 3mm boots (unless you are in the North....then 5mm or 7mm)

Tableleg
11-14-2007, 06:50
What to do with the boots once in the water? Take them off and put them in your pocket? Throw them back on shore and hope the tide doesn't come in while you're out? Full foot fins are typically worn barefoot or maybe with neoprene socks (http://www.divers-supply.com/2MM-NEOPRENE-SOCKS-p/atl50149.htm).
Assuming the full foot heel fin is sized correctly to fit my boots, why couldn't I wear them with my boots on?

And how hard is it to put them on? Would it be harder to don wearing the boots?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 08:09
I like open heel because they accomodate different size boots and at least for me they are easier to don and doff.

cmburch
02-23-2008, 02:02
I like my Apollo Full Foot fins. They are fast. From a dead stop my rocket fins seem to start faster, but the Apollos are faster at top speed with less effort. I have excellent control in stopping, turning and reversing direction. I can tow weaker swimmers against a current easily. Some say that they do not work in a current, but it may just be how they perceive it. They work better all around - underwater or on the surface. I wear size 11.5 EEE shoes. In my bare feet, these fins are LOOSE - Size L/XL. If I wear a sock, they are fine. I can also stretch (They are designed for this) them on over my narrow size 12 dive booties (Techna zip, mid-weight sole) -this is a plus for when walking on seashell or rocky beaches. I purchased them because I wanted to try the split fins and think they are great. My SCUBA fins are the regular Mares fins. But I will buy some SCUBA split fins soon. I use the full foot for lighter duty activities such as snorkeling and freediving. The foot pocket will wear/tear sooner than open heel. Open heel can replace the strap several times. My rocket fins are over 30 years old and my Mares are over 15 years old - by comparison this is probably my fifth pair of full foot fins in over 30 years. I use open heel for SCUBA and free diving. Think about the power transfer between a full foot pocket (an extension of your foot/ankle) vs an open heel (not as efficient due to movement of heel in foot pocket).

Chocoholic
02-24-2008, 16:03
I wear full foot fins and I am happy with them. I am mostly a WWW boat diver. The cenote dive that we had to climb down stone stairs would have been better with booties and open heel fins. The other thing is that when I was in OW1, they always said make sure you have your mask and fins with you as you exit the water, especially in rough water as you may get thrown from the ladder and need to have those fins. If you have your fin straps over your wrists, then you have your fins with you. I have to chuck my fins over the side of the boat then climb the ladder. I haven't ever needed my fins once I got to the boat, but....you never know.

Chocoholic
02-24-2008, 16:09
I still have my old green plana avanti open heel fins and my booties but I like my full foot fins better, lighter, easier to put on and more responsive.

MicahEW
02-24-2008, 22:57
I still have my old green plana avanti open heel fins and my booties but I like my full foot fins better, lighter, easier to put on and more responsive.

i agree they do seem more responsive. I like full fins best because they are cheaper and I never dive when its cold enoough to need a boot.

emalebiga
02-24-2008, 23:34
Does anyone have some experience with diving FF fins with booties?? I wear a size 12.5 and I have been thinking about getting the FF bio-fin but I don't know how much more room I would have to fit in a sock let alone a boot.

cmburch
02-25-2008, 00:34
Does anyone have some experience with diving FF fins with booties?? I wear a size 12.5 and I have been thinking about getting the FF bio-fin but I don't know how much more room I would have to fit in a sock let alone a boot.
See post Above:
In my bare feet, these fins are LOOSE - Size L/XL. If I wear a sock, they are fine. I can also stretch (They are designed for this) them on over my narrow size 12 dive booties (Techna zip, mid-weight sole) -this is a plus for when walking on seashell or rocky beaches.

RoyN
02-25-2008, 10:31
Open heel for me!

waytooslow
04-23-2008, 11:53
going open heeled... but hey I am a noob, so what do I know. :)

ratown
04-25-2008, 13:06
I wear Cressi full foot fins and they are mad comfortable. I used to have open heel, but I didn't like the way they felt and I hate wearing booties. Try both out and see what feels the best. I've walked on some pretty rough rocks before surfing and it just doesn't really bother me.

mitsuguy
04-25-2008, 22:33
seems like the consensus here agrees with my take on things

I have Tusa Zooms open heel, size L-XL that I wear with my thick soled 5 mil Tilos boots... love em for all the local diving here, and they worked great in the Caribbean too - a tad warm, and I intend on buying the 3 mil short boots by Tilos that Scubatoys carries...

now, I also have a pair of Dacor full foot fins that I wear a pair of lycra socks with for pool time, and I intend on using them in the Caribbean as well... the biggest difference between most full foots and open heels is that there is more mass attached to your feet with the open heels, requiring just that little bit more effort to move over the full foots...the full foots also have a tendency to start the bottom of the fin blade underneath the foot, something that is not possible with open heels as much...

hoobascooba
04-25-2008, 23:34
I have open heel SP jet max split fins, again, for the versatility in application...

but recently, i decided I want to also buy a pair of full foot splits (I'll be doing alot of warm water boat diving this summer). BTW, anybody own these (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fullfootsplit)?

beluga
04-27-2008, 22:57
I have open heel SP jet max split fins, again, for the versatility in application...

but recently, i decided I want to also buy a pair of full foot splits (I'll be doing alot of warm water boat diving this summer). BTW, anybody own these (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Fullfootsplit)?

I recently bought those Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins from ST. They are in transit to Canada right now. Not sure when I'll be able to give them a work out but I can give you my impression when I get my hands on them! I also considered the Aeris Velocity Full Foot Fins. But the full split and the light weight of the Tusa appealed more to me.

beluga
05-02-2008, 20:36
Without having them in the water, my initial thoughts on the TUSA full foot fins are:

feels like a high quality product
soft silky plastic around the foot
light
has a nice achilles tendon scuffing guard

On cheapo rental full foot fins I sometimes get horrible scuffing of the skin around the achilles tendon. One of my dive buddies actually had it so bad he left blood stains on his hotel sheets the next few days. The other place I get scuffing on the foot is around the sides. I feel the TUSA full foot fins are not going to be a problem in either place.

matt151617
05-04-2008, 22:08
If you're diving in cold water, you'll need booties, therefore open-heel fins.

harb99
05-05-2008, 08:38
have open heel and booties since we dive a cold quarry

not worthwhile buying a full-foot fin since we already have the open heels - plus we are going to Bonaire this summer where we will need the booties anyway

bostondivegirl
05-05-2008, 10:28
I have one of each. I definitely recommend OH for shore dives and CH for boat dives. If you get cold, then OH, because the booties will help keep the heat in. FF are easier to put on and are shorter so easier to carry in the luggage.

TEMS
05-09-2008, 13:23
I've been curious about the FF fins. I may try them with a lite bootie. They should be good all-around performers.

cogrwy
05-10-2008, 17:13
One of my favorite dive sites is an old rock quarry with nothing but exposed rocks on the path to the water-no way to get in the water without walking over them. Not good in bare feet. With open heel fins, I can wear booties down to the water and them put my fins on over them. The straps (spring, by the way) also make good handles to carry the fins. Also, when I'm boat diving, I can hook the straps over my wrist or clip them to my BC to climb the ladder.

coral cowgirl
05-13-2008, 14:53
Length is the priority for me for traveling so I've only used open heel. They fit in the bottom of my carryon.

freeski4ever
05-13-2008, 20:41
I personally prefer open heel for two main reasons. First, I wear hard soled booties which are great for walking on all types of water-front terrain, secondly, with an open heel, you don't have the problem of blistering that you would with a full foot fin.

DOWNDEEP73
05-13-2008, 20:52
Dive sites too rocky around here....Boots and open heel.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 19:43
Open heal for the reasons that are stated above. With rocks, reefs and cold water its nice to have the flexibility.

Grin
06-09-2008, 08:19
Full footed fins are cheaper.
Open heel fins are easier to make more comfortable and easier to take off. There is nothing worse than fins that hurt your feet, and open heal fins can have anything from 1 mm socks to 7mm boots used to make them comfortable.
If you kick hard, and your feet hurt on the top after awhile, you could benefit from the extra length of the full footed fin placing that pressure all the way to the end of your foot, on your heal. But if your kicking that hard, with regular fins, you probably need to relax.
Once you get to long blade freediving type fins the full foot pockets are a requirment, not a option, to displace the large blades pressure to the heal. With all other fins you most likely don't need full foots.

scootermcfly
06-09-2008, 08:38
Open heel-nothing else. Its too cold up here to not wear the boots...I dove in Tampa last year with the boots on and it was no trouble. I get cold easily so the full foot are out of the question.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 08:44
Open Hell with hard sole boots for walking over rocks and on docks!