PDA

View Full Version : Dive with the Sharks Florida Aquarium

Dive Master
11-13-2007, 17:43
Has anyone done the Dive With the Sharks program at the Floirda Aquarium in Tampa? We are coming down for a 5 night cruise in February and the only port stop where I can dive is Cozumel. I love Cozumel but I sure would like to get another dive in on the trip. I cant talk the wife into stopping at Ginnie Springs while I dive and I thought she might get a kick out of seeing me in the shark tank. I cant imagine this dive would rate with the Pappoose,diving with 50 Sandtigers at 125 feet but it still sounded kind of neat.Any info is appriciated.

NitroWill
11-13-2007, 17:45
Ive heard its not so much a dive as it is a - "kneel at the bottom and watch" experience. If you want a good dive in Florida, consider the Epcot dive, but youd have to pay for a daypass for your wife to get in to see you - but itd be worth it if you could spend the day there..

scubasamurai
11-13-2007, 18:07
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/585/smaller1hu4.jpghttp://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7844/smallerwb8.jpg
Has anyone done the Dive With the Sharks program at the Floirda Aquarium in Tampa? We are coming down for a 5 night cruise in February and the only port stop where I can dive is Cozumel. I love Cozumel but I sure would like to get another dive in on the trip. I cant talk the wife into stopping at Ginnie Springs while I dive and I thought she might get a kick out of seeing me in the shark tank. I cant imagine this dive would rate with the Pappoose,diving with 50 Sandtigers at 125 feet but it still sounded kind of neat.Any info is appriciated.

ok i did this dive a couple of months ago, very very boring!!!!! plus it is expensive for the dive itself (140?? range for a 30 minute dive) i got a discount because i am a member. here is the deal you get taken into a back room watch a video than you go to the roof, yes the roof, pray it is not raining or very cold out!!!! the locker room is the employee locker room, so quarters are tight and dirty ( nothing like disney) the tank entrance is on the roof out in the weather, your wearing a 5mil suit and i was sweating to death because i did mine in august!!!! you have to follow their directions to the tee and once you get in you crawl on the ground ( yes crawl not swim) to a place behind a small rock there you sit for 30 minutes. they bring the sharks in close too you and give you some nice shark teeth and a picture and cap. you can't reach for the sharks to touch and you can;t swim. thats it!!! personally i did it once but really wasn;t worth the effort.
if you want to get wet and have access to a rental car call narcosis scuba out of tarpon spring, they have boat dives and are worth the price. but if you truely have nothing to do than go ahead and do it, but it is boring after the first 2minutes of sitting on your butt!!!
my kids thought it was cool so maybe your wife might get a kick out of it enjoy the pictures and oh the tank is the size of a small swimming pool, 90 by 90 very small, disney dive quest might be good for you and they let you swim around!!!! let me know when you come down, if you do the dive i might come by and make faces through the glass at you!!!

PFD305
11-30-2007, 10:48
I guess it depends on the DM but when I did divequest at epcot they took my non-diving girlfriend backstage with the rest of us. After we watched the video they showed her into the attraction while we were getting changed. And after we were finished we were let free in the park. They didn't care that she didn't pay for anything. Big plus considering what a one day pass to disney costs.:smiley20:

scubasamurai
11-30-2007, 11:41
but check the times, after you get done most of future world is closed or closing around that time and the world showcase is open to 9only. but it also depends on the time you go especially during the holidays they are open late. yes the prices are killer

Buoyant1
12-07-2007, 12:11
We were in Tampa two years ago, and I was tempted to do the dive, until I went to the aquarium and saw how many sharks were there, and found out what they actually did...I agree, fFor the price it didn't seem worth it!

Doug B
12-10-2007, 21:52
Narcosis Scuba in Tarpon Springs is a good outfit.

Female boat captain.... Joyce, I think her name, is really cool.

Didn't care much for the DM on the boat, but I had a good time.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 15:29
I did the Shark Dive at SeaWorld in Orlando last summer. It was pretty cool being in an aquarium that big with people looking at you and waving. They took some nice pictures for me as well. I also got a tour of the backstage of the aquarium, the pump rooms, filters, control rooms, etc. They transported me through the back lot on a golf cart and supplied me with a private locker, shower and equipment. It was top notch, but it should be for the price!

scubasamurai
12-13-2007, 17:34
Narcosis Scuba in Tarpon Springs is a good outfit.

Female boat captain.... Joyce, I think her name, is really cool.

Didn't care much for the DM on the boat, but I had a good time.

she is still there, remember the dm name??? they usually leave you alone pretty much except one person who really gets on your case, i think he is gooing for instructor etc so he is by the book!!! the "regular" dm is good