PDA

View Full Version : Mares X-Vision

picxie
07-20-2007, 22:44
I've just bought one of these masks but can't figure out the clips on the side. Is there a trick? I figured out that I need to squeeze the sides slightly to release the straps, but then can't seem to lock them into place.Or should I not need to lock them back in?

przeor
07-20-2007, 23:22
The tension from wearing it should hold it in place for you... if they slip too much, well, that's not normal. Mine slip every once in a while when taking it on or off, but otherwise they hold themselves in place.

picxie
07-20-2007, 23:26
They don't slip too much - just if I put some tension on them they will release. My old mask (and when I say old, I mean OLD!!) isn't like this - you have to really work on it to move the straps.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So they should be able to be adjusted, in and out, without any tricks- ie, just pulling on the straps? </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gifIt's all a bit too flash for me!</DIV>

TommyB
07-20-2007, 23:30
Mine X-vison does the same. Seems that if you don't have those lock down tabs thingie's push in just right the stupid snorkel will move around and once you surface the mask will just slide around down to your neck.

Don't feel like the lone-ranger, took me 2 days to figure out wth the staps kept coming lose.

picxie
07-20-2007, 23:34
So they are meant to lock into place then?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How do I do that?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Originally I thought that those tabs on the side somehow lifted up but I figured out I just needed to squeeze the sides to release the straps. I don't seem to be able to lock them back into place.</DIV>

TommyB
07-20-2007, 23:54
Looking at mine now,
Mine has the aftermarket ScubaToys headband on it now.
I replaced the OEM one with the scubatoys red one.

If your talking about the clip that has Mares on it (clear thing that is on the post on the mask itself, that thing don't do anything).
Not that I can tell. More of a swivel then anything I guess. it does have some teeth where it's supposed to lock down on the stap a bit, but i'll be dang'd if i can figure it out :)

picxie
07-20-2007, 23:59
If your talking about the clip that has Mares on it (clear thing that is on the post on the mask itself, that thing don't do anything).
Not that I can tell. More of a swivel then anything I guess. it does have some teeth where it's supposed to lock down on the stap a bit, but i'll be dang'd if i can figure it out :)

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yep that's the thing.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I came to the conclusion that I thought it didn't do anything. I think the straps will be fine, just didn't want to find out in a years time that I'd been using it wrong!</DIV>

TommyB
07-21-2007, 00:06
Your strap should have 2 locking things on it.
If they are not holding the strap where you put it, it's prolly not threaded correctly in / through that tab thing that does pop up and pop back into place.

Should have the clear Mares swivel thing, then after that is what actually locks the strap into whatever length you want.
If you take the running end, and pass it under the last slot, it wont slip anymore. Kinda of like threading the webbing on your BCD / weight belt.

Just make sure the running (lose end) of the stap is threaded though the last slot and it wont move :) Even if the tab's pop up.

picxie
07-21-2007, 00:18
Ok. I'm confused http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gifEasily done in any circumstances.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My mask is the liquid skin. Perhaps that is different to the non-liquid skin?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>After the Mares swivel thing there is a thread thing - the strap goes through this, then the left over strap tucks back through. However this isn't keeping anything in place, it is just keeping the left over strap nice and neat. There doesn't seem to be anything that will lock the strap in.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>However after sitting here with my mask on (yay for prescription lens'!) and pulling the mask away from my face (ie, stretching the strap) I don't think there are any issues - the strap didn't come free or loose. It's only when I was sitting there playing with it (as with all new toys!) that the strap will easily move when I pull at it, in both directions. It doesn't lock like my old mask.</DIV>

TommyB
07-21-2007, 00:23
I have the exact same mask, and so does my wife.
She's put in -3.00 and - 2.50 lenses in her's.

Wife and I are not using the original strap, we replaced the original thin silicon staps and replaced them with

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RP22

The buckle I'm talking about is in the middle of that photo.
http://scubatoys.com/store/masks/pics/rp22clip.jpg

<h3>Soft Mask Strap</font></h3>
There
are some straps out there that look like this one, but hold on with
velcro. The problem is the velcro stops some of the stretch of the
strap, and the velcro wears out in time. That's why ours use a
click-stop nylon strap with little buckles to tighten them down... Much
nicer!

From their product description

That's why ours use a
nicer!

If you don't have the aftermarket strap , then it's apples to oranges :)
Does anyone leave the original thin straps on?

picxie
07-21-2007, 00:42
Oh good. I was starting to think I was a bit thick! Nope, the originals aren't like that. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

TommyB
07-21-2007, 00:56
Good spend the 10.00 and get your very own ScubaToys strap replacement.

You''ve got over 10 posts, send Joe a PM and get your 10.00 gift certicate, and they'll be free!!!

picxie
07-21-2007, 01:10
Another thing to add to the growing list!!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've just received an order from them. I had to send one thing back to swap for a different size and seeing as I was going to have to pay for shipping again I thought I'd make it worth while and buy more stuff. The list is getting longer by the day! Although I might have to limit myself this time and put another order in at a later date seeing as I've just given the credit card a workout with the original order. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

TommyB
07-21-2007, 01:22
Just make sure you send Joe that PM and get your Freebie.
If you got the Xvison from ST, I'm thinking that they'll give ya the ST replacement strap :)

I have to take the wife to ST in the morning. There's about 3 hrs shot and 3 grand :)
What is it about wifes and thinking they have to have the same stuff as the men.
Honey, that 50.00 primary will work just as good as my Atomics b2 :)
You get the 'el cheap'o so I can buy me a new UW camera rig.

(and it all has to be purple, and match) pfft go figure...

picxie
07-21-2007, 01:30
Just make sure you send Joe that PM and get your Freebie.
If you got the Xvison from ST, I'm thinking that they'll give ya the ST replacement strap :)

I have to take the wife to ST in the morning. There's about 3 hrs shot and 3 grand :)
What is it about wifes and thinking they have to have the same stuff as the men.
Honey, that 50.00 primary will work just as good as my Atomics b2 :)
You get the 'el cheap'o so I can buy me a new UW camera rig.

(and it all has to be purple, and match) pfft go figure...

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh you're talking to the wrong gender here http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you get something, why can't she have it? Although, I would quite like a nice camera so if I were her I would compromise and get the cheap primary in exchange for full usage of your camera http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gifAnd as for matching colours, well, I like blue so I try to get all my gear in blue. In fact I originally asked for a blue X-Vision mask and when they were out of stock of the blue, I was offered a X-Vision liquid mask instead, at no extra cost to me. I thought that was fantastic service (go ST!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif) ... although I did email to confirm that it would come in the blue http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gif.</DIV>

TommyB
07-21-2007, 01:45
I figured you where a "her" just from the name of picxie.

reason I posted the "what is it about wife's...question to ya"..
Figured I'd get the answer straight from the horses mouth (so-to-speak :)

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 19:26
I've just bought one of these masks but can't figure out the clips on the side. Is there a trick? I figured out that I need to squeeze the sides slightly to release the straps, but then can't seem to lock them into place.Or should I not need to lock them back in?
Have you figured out yet? Is that a Liquidskin you got? If so, you just have to apply pressure at top and bottom of the buckle and pull the mask away from you to loosen it. It's designed so that you can get it hanging around your neck in no time. And to put it on, just have to pull on the straps to fit it around your face....hope that make sense.

picxie
07-24-2007, 03:53
Yep, that makes sense and is what I concluded on in the end ... I was used to my old mask where the straps didn't move unless you really forced them. And yep - it is the liquidskin mask.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 17:35
I have the exact same mask, and so does my wife.
She's put in -3.00 and - 2.50 lenses in her's.

Wife and I are not using the original strap, we replaced the original thin silicon staps and replaced them with

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RP22

The buckle I'm talking about is in the middle of that photo.
http://scubatoys.com/store/masks/pics/rp22clip.jpg

<h3>Soft Mask Strap</font></h3>
There
are some straps out there that look like this one, but hold on with
velcro. The problem is the velcro stops some of the stretch of the
strap, and the velcro wears out in time. That's why ours use a
nicer!

From their product description

That's why ours use a
nicer!

If you don't have the aftermarket strap , then it's apples to oranges :)
Does anyone leave the original thin straps on?

I prefer the variety with a simple stay instead of a buckle (or velcro). I hate the little "wings" the side of your head gets from the ends of the straps with the buckle ones. Plus it's easier to break a buckle.

Either way, though, it's better than silicon straps. Ugh.

TommyB
07-26-2007, 01:47
Pixcie,

Just had a late dinner with Larry.
He told me to tell you to send him a PM, and he'll send you the ScubaToys Soft Mask strap mentioned above.

Just send him a PM, and He'll have it shipped--
(just mention this post )

Regards
Tommy //

picxie
07-26-2007, 04:03
Pixcie,

Just had a late dinner with Larry.
He told me to tell you to send him a PM, and he'll send you the ScubaToys Soft Mask strap mentioned above.

Just send him a PM, and He'll have it shipped--
(just mention this post )

Regards
Tommy //

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Gosh that's rather nice of him!! I will PM him, although seeing as I'm in a different country I don't expect him to ship outside of the US.</DIV>

Judestudio
07-26-2007, 07:11
Gosh that's rather nice of him!! I will PM him, although seeing as I'm in a different country I don't expect him to ship outside of the US.
You may be surprised smileys/smiley2.gif I don't know how they survive when they keep giving free stuff out, they did that to me a while back, and I'm sure they treat everyone just as nice. I've declared myself a lifetime supporter of Scubatoys! Woohoo!

Keep up the good work, guys, keep giving us free stuff!! smileys/smiley32.gif

NorthwoodsDiver
08-17-2007, 10:24
Gosh that's rather nice of him!! I will PM him, although seeing as I'm in a different country I don't expect him to ship outside of the US.
You may be surprised smileys/smiley2.gif I don't know how they survive when they keep giving free stuff out, they did that to me a while back, and I'm sure they treat everyone just as nice. I've declared myself a lifetime supporter of Scubatoys! Woohoo!

Keep up the good work, guys, keep giving us free stuff!! smileys/smiley32.gif

That is the result of staying down Wayyyyyy toooooo Longggggg. Permanent Narcosis I call it.....I hope to get to that level some day as PN'd people are happy (and generous) people.

All kidding aside I am completely amazed by the extremely high level of customer service at ST...so hard to find these days.

Also a permanent and loyal customer for life....Ryan

lucidblue
08-20-2007, 21:55
I have an X Vision and using the original strap. I find that the straps slip out on their own after I adjust the mask. Seems like it is just releasing. I like the field of vision I get from the mask, but really unhappy with the strap not locking properly.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 23:56
I have an X Vision and using the original strap. I find that the straps slip out on their own after I adjust the mask. Seems like it is just releasing. I like the field of vision I get from the mask, but really unhappy with the strap not locking properly.
Not an issue if you replace that strap with a neoprene strap, which many prefer anyway. :)