PDA

View Full Version : last-minute Charlotte or South Florida SSI certification

webwidejosh
11-14-2007, 07:53
I missed a single skill on my SSI certification and now I'm stuck. There apparently is a single person who can certify me in Charlotte NC before my trip to the Keys on Tuesday.

I've made myself available for two weekends and during the week, but I'm really going to miss out on my trip if I don't get this done.

The question is... Anyone know the best way to nail this certification to enjoy the rest of my trip? I'm going to be in Jupiter FL for Wednesday, then John Pennekamp State Park and off to Key Largo on Friday.

I'd like to find a place to hop in the open water, do the open water skills test and get my certification signed.

I paid $229 for my scuba training and now the shop wants $45 referral and another shop in Jupiter wants $200 as well as having to fly down a day early... The rest of the trip is driving, so that I can get pool time and then on a subsequent day get in the open water.

This trip was planned months in advance but I choked on one aspect of my test, although I'm confident I can do it now with the practice I've done I can't find anyone to take me to open water to test.

Has anyone had this problem before? Having to get a certification at the last minute? Any suggestions?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-14-2007, 09:06
I wonder if you mind sharing which skill you missed. Gypsy Divers in Raleigh is an SSI shop. I don't know if they could help you.

webwidejosh
11-14-2007, 09:09
I wonder if you mind sharing which skill you missed. Gypsy Divers in Raleigh is an SSI shop. I don't know if they could help you.

Sure, it was the dreaded Mask 4. I've been using tips around here to practice and feel far more confident. I didn't have a problem with it in the pool, and didn't have a problem with the other skills. Mask 1-3 were troublesome but not too bad.

I'd be willing to drive to Raleigh over the weekend to nail this out. I'm committed but want to be somewhat reasonable with time and cost.

11-14-2007, 09:23
I'd recommend contacting Gypsy to see if they are able to work with you. I have never taken any classes with them but I know they offer custom schedules and private certifcation dives. I'm sure you'd have to have a refferal.

Gypsy Divers Aquatic Center; Raleigh's Finest Family Aquatic Center (http://www.gypsydivers.com/Scuba/Education/Beginners/customSchedule.htm)

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 09:25
So the original LDS isn't working with you to get you certified in time? Sorry of you have already answered this in your other post about the mask problem.

11-14-2007, 09:42
I took the original post as having a typo:

There apparently is a single person who can certify me in Charlotte NC before my trip to the Keys on Tuesday.

I've made myself available for two weekends and during the week, but...

i.e., should read is not a single person instead of is a single person.

fireflock
11-14-2007, 12:40
Gyspy is a great place, and you will be treated right if you end up there.

The ssiusa.com website lists 6 SSI shops in the Concord/Charlotte/Rock Hill area. Have you tried all of those?

Quiescence in Key Largo is SSI too. I would maybe make the trip down to the Keys and see what they (or another SSI shop in the Keys) can work out for you on the first day of your trip.

Shops in the keys (or any dive travel destination) are more likely to be set up for the kind of situation you find yourself in. Any shop in NC will probably charge a premium because you're not part of a scheduled class and you're not likely to be a regular customer of their shop. People in the keys, on the other hand, see this kind of stuff all the time and would prefer to help get you certified and then dive for a few days with them instead of loosing your business all together.

Thumbs down to your original shop. If they're not willing to work with you on this one they don't want (or deserve) your future business. A good shop will set you to another SSI dealer before sending you off to make arrangements on your own.

Rich

TRACI
11-14-2007, 13:01
Wow, I can not believe your SSI LDS will not try to help. The mask clearing was tough for me, I hated it so bad I wanted to quit, but somehow got through it. My dealer said they will refund $$ back to anyone that could not complete the training.

fireflock
11-14-2007, 14:15
My dealer said they will refund $$ back to anyone that could not complete the training.

I've seen that a few shops. If the CLT shop causing the problems has the same policy, I would walk in and ask for my money back. That _might_ change their mind about being accommodating.

I've heard of someone who had a similar experience at a SSI shop in CLT - the same place I wonder?

Rich