PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 11:57
I dont know why but suddenly I started wondering. How does one clear his ears when wearing a full face mask?

Defman
11-14-2007, 13:09
Huh, never thought about that one.. Very good question!

gibson1525
11-14-2007, 13:51
become good enough that you don't have to plug your nose. when i descend, i just flex the muscles under my jaw (kind of like a swallowing motion), i never have to plug my nose. it keeps both my hands free and i think it's easier on my ears than blowing into a plugged nose.

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 14:19
I've used one that you could get to your nose, and pinch, and one that all you could do was push hard enough to block the end of your nose..which takes a lot of pushing, by the way. Don't know what current ones are using.

lovesmexico615
11-14-2007, 14:53
I suppose it would be different for everyone... but I can't do the "pinch my nose and blow" to clear my ears. I just swallow a couple times and it does the trick.

Navy OnStar
11-14-2007, 15:15
There are some full face masks that don't have a common mouth nasal pocket. Scuba pro makes one that has a nose pocket and you clear it the same way.

Swallowing and moving your head side to side at the sametime works for me, if I can't reach my nose.

OnStar

gibson1525
11-14-2007, 16:34
i guess nose plugs could also be an option. they wouldn't totally seal off air going through your nose but would probably provide enough resistance to clear your ears.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 16:45
I've always wanted a full face mask, but never actually thought about how I'd clear my ears. That is something to think about for sure.

Cressi Sub and Scubapro make ones with nose cups that you could still clear the same old way by pinching you nose, but what about the neptune masks. No external nose pocket. Would the fact that you can breathe through you nose in the eptune full face mask make a difference?

ScubaToys Larry
11-14-2007, 17:04
For example, in the Ocean Reef: Ocean REEF Neptune II full face mask, Dive Masks, Ocean Reef, Ocean REEF Neptune II full face mask (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=NeptuneIIFullFace)

There are two adjustable silicone things... look like gum drops... Positioned just below your nostrils. You set it up and move these a bit left/right up/down to fit you. Then by pushing on the top of the mask, these move up and plug your nose so you can exhale and clear. It's really pretty easy once you get it adjusted and have it down.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 17:10
Ah, tricky tricky. Thats cool. Guess they thought of everything. :)