PDA

View Full Version : Sunnto Gekko, Good Computer?

mcc2318
11-14-2007, 18:08
I'm a big sunnto fan. I wore the sunnto vector when I was serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom III as a machine gunner, is the gekko a good computer?

Zenagirl
11-14-2007, 18:16
Suunto makes an excellent dive computer. A little too conservative for my taste, but that's the only reason I don't own one. ;)

Puffer Fish
11-14-2007, 18:21
Suunto makes an excellent dive computer. A little too conservative for my taste, but that's the only reason I don't own one. ;)
Beat me to it... darn you... same thoughts.

chewyjr15
11-14-2007, 18:58
iv got an oceanic veo 100 consule with compus for sale for 185 plus shipping. Only 4 dives on it let me know it comes with full waranty and everything. And it dives nitrox!

Damselfish
11-14-2007, 20:54
I have a Gekko, suits me fine.

Firefyter
11-14-2007, 22:23
The Gekko is a very good computer. They are a little more conservative, but I've found that this only matters if you have a really good air consumption rate. I've done a lot of dives with my Suunto, and I'm always the first in the water and the last out, so how much more liberal of a computer do I really need? With a single tank, most people run low on air way before they go into deco.....

Scuba Steve
11-14-2007, 23:28
I rented a Gekko a few times and I was happy with it. It's very easy to read and follow. It is a bit conservative but that makes it a little more safe. It also seems a bit pricey in comparison with some of the other computers out there with similar features. Due to the difference in price, I actually purchased an Aeris Atmos 2 with knife and compass.

dannybot
11-17-2007, 08:25
I have a Gekko, like it, just monitor your bottom time and ascent rate, you'll be OK, also they seem to like a surface interval over an hour. They have a lot of features I doubt I'll ever use, and a lot of information in the history, but I find it a bit difficult to pull the history. I like the lumenescent display for night dives.

Good luck.

Biodiversity_Guy
11-17-2007, 22:53
I use a Gekko in a Deep Sea Supply bungee wrist mount and find it meets my needs. Good price, right set of options/features for the price, imho.

Zenagirl
11-18-2007, 07:56
It is a bit conservative but that makes it a little more safe.

All dive computers run algorithyms well within the tables and there's no correlation between more conservative computers and fewer incidences of DCI.

ian
11-18-2007, 11:29
All dive computers run algorithyms well within the tables and there's no correlation between more conservative computers and fewer incidences of DCI.

Huh? What do you think is the causative factor, then?

Any computer works on algorithms that are established by the computations used to create "the tables". There are different algorithms based on different models of gas loading and unloading. Some are more conservative than others.

The key significance of using a computer over using tables or wheels is that the computer tracks the dive profile your are actually making. Using tables forces a generalized fit to the profile you're diving. In reality, using the table properly is actually a more conservative approach than using any computer.

Using a computer allows the diver to track what is happening rather than trying to keep track of what the dive plan/profile was supposed to be. By that, I DO NOT advocate not planning your dives. What I mean is that the computer can easily factor in the fact that the target wreck is actually in 90 feet of water due to tide rather than the 80 feet per the original plan. The computer recalculates "on the fly"; the diver on tables has to work at it.

To be honest, much more significant factors in the choice of your computer ought to be

can you read the display easily

can you access the necessary functions easily - in thick gloves

do you understand what the displays mean

And, to the OP, the Gekko is a great computer.

Cheers...

Ian

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 15:15
I got the gekko seems to be a good computer, I'm not looking at pushing the envelop.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 00:09
I love this thing!!

imasinker
05-10-2008, 16:51
I have one and Love It!!! I also have a Cobra 2 again I love It. Go for It!!!

spatman
05-10-2008, 17:02
I got the gekko seems to be a good computer, I'm not looking at pushing the envelop.

the computer is not what will "push the envelope". it's your actions as a diver. as long as you dive responsibly, it doesn't really matter which brand and type you use. it's almost all about personal preference.

terrillja
05-10-2008, 17:10

the computer is not what will "push the envelope". it's your actions as a diver. as long as you dive responsibly, it doesn't really matter which brand and type you use. it's almost all about personal preference.
Well it is up to you what dives you choose to do, yes. As for pushing the envelope, some allow you to push it more, some don't allow you to as much. Oceanic/Aeris allows you to push it more, Sunnto, less so.

Jack Hammer
05-10-2008, 17:30
I'm pretty happy with my Gekko. The only that bothers me is it is a bit awkward to pull your history up, just not very intuitive. Besides that it's pretty easy to use.

The display is nice and easy to read. It doesn't have a backlight, but the luminescence of the display is easily charged with a flashlight and also easy to read. Once I'm in the water I rarely have to touch anything on it, what I want to see is right there.

I downloaded the gekko2vyper program for free from a link at scubaboard and have been downloading my dives from it into the suunto dive manager software.

Jack

imasinker
05-10-2008, 19:07
Hey jack!

How do you find the using the download program for your Gekko? I have the program downloaded, however I haven't bought the cable yet and was wondering If It Is worth It. I have a Cobra 2 as well. Is It in your opinion worth using? Do you find It usefull?

Jack Hammer
05-10-2008, 19:46
Hey jack!

How do you find the using the download program for your Gekko? I have the program downloaded, however I haven't bought the cable yet and was wondering If It Is worth It. I have a Cobra 2 as well. Is It in your opinion worth using? Do you find It usefull?

Yes & no. I think it depends on how often you dive and the variety of locations you dive. What's nice is you can add each individual piece of gear you own to the database and then add that to each dive to keep track of what you had/didn't have or needed/didn't need. There are also some really nice sort features.

I'm mainly diving in the Chicago area at the same places with the same gear, so it's hasn't been as useful to me yet as it could be for someone who goes to multiple locations. Especially in areas with more temperature change. So far it's been, wear 7mm FJ wetsuit, gloves, hood, etc.

You can use the suunto software w/o downloading info from your computer, just manually enter it. That'll let you see how it works and decide if you like it. The gekko2vyper program takes about 2-3 seconds to run, basically select port press one button and your done.

BTW, I got my usb cable off eBay from a german maker for $45, it works perfectly.

Jack

oddbod
05-10-2008, 22:30
Hey jack!

I find it very good, haven't kept a proper log for years, I'm one of those males, not into writing detailed descriptions etc, the simple plug and play makes it easy. Also got my cable from the guy in Germany via Ebay. Sorry can't find the link anymore

imasinker
05-11-2008, 16:44
Thanks Jackhammer and oddbod!... I`ll check out getting a cable. I will be diving at alot of different places here in Ontario. Have booked a few places like Tobermory, Kingston, Brockville, Parry Sound to name a few. It would be nice to look back on logs to see the differences in temp, depths so forth. Thanks again for the info.

Duckydiver
05-11-2008, 17:49
Enjoy your diving with the Gekko, I know I have. I love the thing.

huvrr
05-11-2008, 22:38
what program is it that works with the Gekko? I didn't know there was one.

CFDAlden
05-12-2008, 01:46
Check here:

Untitled Document (http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Index.htm)

You want the Gekko Download progam.