PDA

View Full Version : Spree/Fling

cutter77
11-15-2007, 00:25
What is the best time of year to do the FG to see critters?

What is the best time of year to go to avoid getting a trip cancelled due to weather?

jwagner
11-15-2007, 06:29
But what is the cost? From what I've seen, if you (well I mean TRACI) really look at it, you can do a trip to Cozumel for just a few dollars more for a whole week.

MSilvia
11-15-2007, 08:43
I've done Coz and Flower Garden bank, and I definately think FG was well worth the price. The coral formations are more impressive than anything I've seen in Mexico, and you get in a lot more diving.

As for when to go, it depends on what "critters" you're looking for. It's been a while since I went (in May/June) and we didn't see any big stuff, but I hear October is a good time if you want to see large schools of Scalloped Hammerheads.

ReefHound
11-15-2007, 09:58
Feb/March is the time for hammerheads but also the time for weather - about 1 in 5 trips make it. Late summer is the safest time to go, unless there's a tropical system moving through it will probably go. I'm 2 for 2 this time of year.

As for cost comparison with Cozumel, I think FG is way cheaper. Include all the costs, transportation, meals, lodging, as well as dives. You can also do FG on a weekend, get 7 dives and not miss a day of work. Can't do that with Coz.

awap
11-15-2007, 10:13
On a per dive basis, FGB is less than half the cost of COZ if you can drive to the TX coast. Three day trips are a better bargain than 2 day trips. Critters are always there with shark varieties changing with the season. July is probably most reliable weather. August is calmest seas unless a hurricane blows thru. You will need good thermal protection in the spring. Summer and fall require little or no protection.

cutter77
11-19-2007, 00:01
We're close enough to drive so this could work for us. How much notice do you "generally" get if the trip is blown out?

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 07:13
I've not heard of the Flower Gardens. Would someone enlighten me?

Illini_Fan
11-19-2007, 07:21
cutter77 - I haven't been there myself (hope to go next year), but according to Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! (http://www.gulf-diving.com/) they make the go/no go decision around 12pm - 1pm on the day of departure

navyhmc - this site will tell you more about the FGs then I could accurately fit into any post: Welcome to the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/)

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 16:40
Way cool!!!

Thanks for the link.

DevilDiver
11-20-2007, 17:27
[quote=Illini_Fan;94295]cutter77 - I haven't been there myself (hope to go next year), but according to Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! (http://www.gulf-diving.com/) they make the go/no go decision around 12pm - 1pm on the day of departure

They will post on the Spree home page if the trip is canceled or a go. Usually by 12pm. This is more than enough time to drive from DFW. I know one guy who puts in for a 1/2 day and if it cancels he just stays at work........
I got an email and phone call the one time i had a trip cancel as well.

Hammerheads in the spring and Whale Sharks in the summer. They also have a coral spawn trip that fills up fast....

Soonerwink
11-20-2007, 18:33
At the FG you just eat, sleep and dive, I have been on the Spree twice and going back for a 3rd time this summer. This years price for a 3 day trip is 650.00, price increase of 50.00 dollars from last year. The Spree's prices include nitrox, and there are only 24 divers max on the Spree. I have been to Coz 3 times, and I like the FG the best. I'm married to a ND (non-diver) and she has already said we are going back to Coz this year. I guess I will have to put in alot of overtime at work to pay for both trips.

travistrash1
11-28-2007, 17:58
February & March are great for hammerhead sharks and eagle rays but the trips are frequently cancelled d/t storms and the current can sometimes be more than most can handle.

Jay_SMART_Diver
12-02-2007, 14:48
I got to go in March 06 on the Fling. It was actually the first trip that made that season (trip report here (http://www.tomsscuba.com/dives/hedrick_2006.html)). We were a little late for the schooling hammerheads but we did get to see one. I had a great time on the Fling but think I'm going to try the newly refitted Spree with fewer divers and included Nitrox.

navyhmc
12-02-2007, 14:55
Jay's pictures did it for me. I'm schdeuled for a trip labor day weekend of '08!!! Flower Garden, here I come.