PDA

View Full Version : AOW confusion

Blackrock
11-15-2007, 00:38
I'm a bit confused about what is required to get AOW certified. I have PADI OW now and was thinking of going on in my training, but I'm not sure what I'm going to be getting in to.

Do I just need to complete 5 specialty classes of my choice, and that's considered AOW? Or is there something I'm missing about this whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

zahgurim
11-15-2007, 06:49
AOW requires you to sample 5 Adventure courses, two of which must be Underwater Nav, and Deep.
The other three are up to you, and selection availability may vary depending on where you do the course.

comet24
11-15-2007, 07:18
In the AOW class you will do five dives. One each from five specialties. Nav. and deep are required. The other three will depend on the shop/instuctor. Some it set up to do certain ones and others will modify the ones they do depending on what the students want. Also depending on the location of the dives some specialties are not feasible.

Zenagirl
11-15-2007, 07:41
Each one of the dives can count toward a full individual specialty certification if you choose to go on and take it. AOW is like a plate of hors D'vours, you sample a few different things but it isn't the whole meal. ;)

Have fun with AOW and the sampling of specialties, then plan on doing Rescue and getting some REAL work done.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 07:53
Each one of the dives can count toward a full individual specialty certification if you choose to go on and take it. AOW is like a plate of hors D'vours, you sample a few different things but it isn't the whole meal. ;)

Have fun with AOW and the sampling of specialties, then plan on doing Rescue and getting some REAL work done.

Well put. The other way is to take your time and do five specialities that you want to do one at a time, including Nav and Deep. And you will qualify for AOW - and if you then do Rescue Diver, you'd be Master Scuba Diver. AOW is quick and some good info and good sampling of what you might want to eventually get involved in etc. But part of me now wondered if I should have just slowly taken all those specialities and do them slowly and more in-depth.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-15-2007, 07:58
Don't a couple of PADI specialties (such as deep) have AOW as a prerequisite? Maybe I'm confused.

shadragon
11-15-2007, 08:55
Don't a couple of PADI specialties (such as deep) have AOW as a prerequisite? Maybe I'm confused.
Here is the PADI web page specifically on the Deep Diver course.

Deep Diver Course Details (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/deepdivercoursedetail.aspx)

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 09:00
Here is the PADI web page specifically on the Deep Diver course.

Deep Diver Course Details (http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/deepdivercoursedetail.aspx)

Did not realise that. I thought I read somewhere that five specialities can give you AOW. But then if normal AOW needs Deep and Nav, and Deep Specialities needs AOW, then it does not make sense. Better to check with the school you're doing your training with.

Blackrock
11-15-2007, 10:36
Thanks for your responses.

So, hypothetically, I can take those 3 classes of my choice at different locations/ops over the course of time and then get AOW certified at another shop when I do the Deep & Nav. classes. Did I understand that right?

11-15-2007, 11:26
OK, I think I see the source of confusion. It's the crazy PADI course structure ;-)

There is something called an 'adventure dive' which seems to be a dive with a certain theme. And there is something called a specialty. Different specialties require different numbers of dives having the same theme.

AOW is a collection of 5 different 'adventure dives' not 5 different specialties.

AOW requires the deep adventure dive (and the underwater nav adventure dive). The deep specialty requires the deep adventure dive plus 3 more deep dives.

To complicate matters even more PADI has a cert called Adventure Diver which requires the completion of three adventure dives and ranks below AOW.

I don't know if they'll do it, but if you have 5 specialties including deep and nav you've done a lot more diving than is required for AOW so they ought to give it to you. This is PADI so it will propbably require at least a nominal certifcation fee to get the AOW card.

peteg
11-15-2007, 11:41
I think Joe has it figured out.

I would suggest getting in touch with your LDS and find out what they offer. In the case of my recent AOW my LDS advertised a whole menu of options, but once the instructor was assigned, the list shortened. This was because of what the instrcutor was qualified to teach and his own philosophy about what should be taught. Which was ok because what he offered was what I wanted and all the skills fit together nicely. I did:

*Deep
*Nav
*Night
*Peak Performance Bouyancy
*Search and Recovery

I did an additional PPB dive to get the speciality. If I want a Deep Speciality, for example, I have to do 3 more deep dives.

In any case, AOW is a good time and a great way to get additional skills and confidence.

Zenagirl
11-15-2007, 18:26
Joe explained it perfectly! Thanks. :D

Blackrock
11-15-2007, 21:17
Ok. I'm pretty sure I get it now. Thank you all for clearing up the confusion.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 22:56
Yes Joe explained it nicely. :D

mperrett
01-16-2008, 23:10
With all the talk of various courses you need I can see why they say PADI really means Put Another Dollar In!

Mycroft
01-17-2008, 08:33
And another option is to opt out of PADI entirely and switch to another system, like, for example, SSI.

For AOW SSI requires: Any 4 specialties (no restrictions) and a total of 25 logged dives. For Master Diver, SSI requires any 4 specialties, Stress and Rescue Class specialty (i.e. specialty #5) and 50 logged dives. They also have specialty diver for any 2 specialties and 12 logged dives, which is below AOW. Century Diver is the next one, and that just requires 100 logged dives.

Bottom line is that at the OW level you may switch agencies to any of the others. The RTSC council makes OW equal in the eyes of all of them, so you can switch easily at that level. Once you get past that point, this is no longer true. I went OW in NAUI and switched to SSI myself, based upon dive shops closing and so forth.

setesh
01-17-2008, 23:17
With all the talk of various courses you need I can see why they say PADI really means Put Another Dollar In!

LOL! I had never heard that before, but I like it!

01-18-2008, 09:47
A (former) PADI instructor told me it stands for 'Pay And Die Instantly'

hoobascooba
01-18-2008, 11:15

but it can also be said of their philosophy: Pseudo Association of Divided Interests

MLenyo
01-18-2008, 20:38
And another option is to opt out of PADI entirely and switch to another system, like, for example, SSI.

For AOW SSI requires: Any 4 specialties (no restrictions) and a total of 25 logged dives. For Master Diver, SSI requires any 4 specialties, Stress and Rescue Class specialty (i.e. specialty #5) and 50 logged dives. They also have specialty diver for any 2 specialties and 12 logged dives, which is below AOW. Century Diver is the next one, and that just requires 100 logged dives.

Bottom line is that at the OW level you may switch agencies to any of the others. The RTSC council makes OW equal in the eyes of all of them, so you can switch easily at that level. Once you get past that point, this is no longer true. I went OW in NAUI and switched to SSI myself, based upon dive shops closing and so forth.

what are the main differences of the bigger dive agencies?

Mycroft
01-18-2008, 22:11

I can't tell you what the exact requirements are for every agency, just for what I went thru. http://dive-ssi.com/home has the SSI details about courses, just as PADI. The Way The World Learns to Dive (http://www.padi.com) and NAUI Worldwide :: Information for Serious Divers (http://www.naui.com) have theirs.

My choices were made for me is some respects. My first class was NAUI for OW. When I went to go back for more training, just a couple months later, that shop was history. I went to another shop where I liked the people and it was an SSI shop. After I moved, I only had a couple of items to finish up for Master Diver, so I found an SSI shop here to finish those up with.

Now I am pursueing Cavern, which is different agencies anyway.

UCFKnightDiver
01-19-2008, 00:02
oh boy padi I could do boat diver, drift diver, and deep diver all in one dive woo hoo lol :smiley36:

ScubaGir1
01-21-2008, 23:33
When I got my advanced padi cert. we did: deep, navi., ppb, night and wreck. It was awesome, I highly recommend doing it :smiley20:.

MLenyo
01-22-2008, 01:36
When I got my advanced padi cert. we did: deep, navi., ppb, night and wreck. It was awesome, I highly recommend doing it :smiley20:.

how was your wreck dive/what did you do on it?

b1draper
02-12-2008, 14:47

how was your wreck dive/what did you do on it?

I did my wreck course diving the Mercedes tanker and Rodeo reef off of Ft. Lauderdale. The instructor is a friend of mine. My wife had won a weekend stay at a resort down there and she let us use it. The trip was a blast. That's also where I did my first "true" drift dives where a boat had to come and pick me up.

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 14:55
I'm dong advanced in about a month and will be doing deep, navi, photo, drift, and wreck. Its pretty cheap for a 5 dive package over 2 days and I get a cert to go along with it! I can't wait!

MLenyo
02-12-2008, 17:52
lds said i could do wreck and boat on one dive, does this mean i'd only do 4 dives for AOW? don't want to get sold short or anything..

emcbride81
02-12-2008, 19:16
lds said i could do wreck and boat on one dive, does this mean i'd only do 4 dives for AOW? don't want to get sold short or anything..

Sounds like a short sale to me...unless you want to be done in a shorter amount of time for some reason. Now I am no expert on all shops, but from what I have seen you are supposed to get 5 dives for the money. Nav, deep and the three specialties. I don't think you can combine the dives, but someone else more experienced can answer that one. I know that I would want as many dives as I can get! :)

emcbride81
02-12-2008, 19:18
I'm dong advanced in about a month and will be doing deep, navi, photo, drift, and wreck. Its pretty cheap for a 5 dive package over 2 days and I get a cert to go along with it! I can't wait!

Those are the same that I just did in Playa del Carmen...as I see you are going for drift, am I to assume you are headed to Mexico?

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 21:52
OK, I think I see the source of confusion. It's the crazy PADI course structure ;-)

There is something called an 'adventure dive' which seems to be a dive with a certain theme. And there is something called a specialty. Different specialties require different numbers of dives having the same theme.

AOW is a collection of 5 different 'adventure dives' not 5 different specialties.

AOW requires the deep adventure dive (and the underwater nav adventure dive). The deep specialty requires the deep adventure dive plus 3 more deep dives.

To complicate matters even more PADI has a cert called Adventure Diver which requires the completion of three adventure dives and ranks below AOW.

I don't know if they'll do it, but if you have 5 specialties including deep and nav you've done a lot more diving than is required for AOW so they ought to give it to you. This is PADI so it will propbably require at least a nominal certifcation fee to get the AOW card.
I understand the certs and just reading this makes me feel :smiley29:. Below is how I understand it:

Adventure = 3 adventure dives (your choice).
AOW = 5 total dives: Deep Diver, Underwater Nav, and 3 other Adventure dives (your choice).

UW_Panda
02-12-2008, 23:10
Is it true that if one can't do the 5 Adventure dives in a span of 1 year, then they may require you to repeat them?

b1draper
02-13-2008, 04:27

Sounds like a short sale to me...unless you want to be done in a shorter amount of time for some reason. Now I am no expert on all shops, but from what I have seen you are supposed to get 5 dives for the money. Nav, deep and the three specialties. I don't think you can combine the dives, but someone else more experienced can answer that one. I know that I would want as many dives as I can get! :)

Technically, the dives shouldn't be combined but since they're doing "boat" they can slide past on that one because there really isn't much to that specialty. A lot of dive shops add in the "boat" because there isn't much for them to do; a little reading and lecture and that's basically it.

If you're paying money for a "certification" such as PADI's AOW then make sure you get the adventure dives that will help you. If you want specific types of dives then push for them.

That's where the big difference is between SSI and PADI; for an SSI Advanced Open Water you've got to complete 4 full specialties and have at least 20 dives. So basically SSI requires more diving before qualifying a diver as AOW. For the Master Diver rating both PADI and SSI have the same requirements; 5 specialties and 50 dives with one of the specialties being Rescue.

It's just me but I'd go the route that has the most requirements.

cmburch
02-22-2008, 22:08
I completed the PADI AOW on a 4 day boat dive at the Channel Islands. It has been so long that I had forgotten about it and how much it has helped me in diving. Some things that have really helped me:
Navigation - I can get back to shore near where I came in and do not have to surface outside of the kelp line with a stringer of bleeding fish to spot my entry point and adjust my compass.
Night - I like fishing at night. Knowing limits and safety. Being sure of how to get back to the shore entry point.
Drift- very important with the currents and tides. It could make for a very hard swim or pull, and having to assist weaker divers.
Deep - I like going to 80-85' feet where the big fish are. I normally only get to about 45-50' on a shore dive. Maybe 60-65' on a boat.
Peak Performance Buoyancy - I just do it now and don't think about it.

Osprey
03-31-2008, 18:59

*snorts* one thing they all have in common, at least, is everyone in their respective agency holds no respect for the others and spends countless hours ragging on them instead of accepting that we are ALL in this together and should be learning and teaching from each other.

But hey, I'm a grouch. Thankfully there are some (key word) really helpful people on here that give GOOD advice as opposed to mindless snapping

finflippers
04-08-2008, 23:30

I believe that you can switch between agencies all the way up to DM but not sure. My OW was NAUI my AOW was PADI and my Nitrox was SSI. I do not know which agency I will be using on my next certification yet.

Don Wray
04-09-2008, 07:14
Under PADI standards, you cannot combine dives to count toward the requirements. Even if you drift dive from a boat on a deep wreck. You only count the dive as one of the dives, either drift, boat, deep or wreck. You still must make 4 more dives, one of which must be a deep dive, and one must be a navigation dive. There are skill completion requirements for each dive, so your not just diving deep. I also include a classroom and pool session for each of the dives. The knowledge reviews are completed and we go over them, then practice the skill requirements in the pool. The only exception is if you are taking nitrox and the Instructor opts to require dives for the nitrox cert. Those can be combined. The same goes for the full specialty course. We are not allowed to combine specialties into one dive. There are other agencies already mentioned in this thread that do allow combination but PADI isn't one of them.

cummings66
04-10-2008, 18:42
*snorts* one thing they all have in common, at least, is everyone in their respective agency holds no respect for the others and spends countless hours ragging on them

That is indeed the unifying feature to ALL agencies. You will invariably run into instructors from each one that says the other will kill you if you train with them and give examples on how. And to be honest they're almost always wrong. It's all based on word of mouth.

I met a NAUI instructor who says his mission in life is to stomp out Padi, one student at a time. Even has a I am a padi diver reprint from CDNN, I kind of pointed out that was a pretty bad site to use as a reference.