PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Diving Certification - in Dallas??

JipThePeople
07-21-2007, 00:37
I will have completed my AOW cerification in early August and I am interested in getting wreck dive certification. Bad news is I live in Dallas not Florida. How can I get certified as a wreck diver if there are no wrecks to dive near Dallas?

TommyB
07-21-2007, 01:37
Hang out by 635 and wait for one?

(just kidding, I asked the same question yesterday while I was in the shop, but it was more cavern related)..

woody
07-21-2007, 03:55
I will have completed my AOW cerification in early August and I am interested in getting wreck dive certification. Bad news is I live in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="&#111;n">Dallas</st1:City> not <st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. How can I get certified as a wreck diver if there are no wrecks to dive near <st1:City w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Dallas</st1:place></st1:City>? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Coming soon to a Scubatoys location near you.
I am really just waiting on the <st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Texas</st1:place></st1:State> clipper to get sunk in South Padre to start running the training.

Thanks,
Woody

TommyB
07-21-2007, 09:57
Hey Woody,

The Texas Clipper, is that the rigged wooden shipp that Texas A&amp;M used to use.
Hmm, used to be moored in Kema area if I recall.

If I got the ship right, some friends of mine got married on it back in 89/90.

// edit

Nevermind differnt ship

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/habitats/artificial_reef/texas_clipper.phtml

I was thinking of this one

the Elissa
http://www.galvestonhistory.org/elissa-gallery.asp

texdiveguy
07-21-2007, 10:32
</font></span>
</font></span>

</font></span>
I am really just waiting on the <st1:state w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Texas</st1:place></st1:state> clipper to get sunk in South Padre to start running the training.</font></span>
</font></span>
Thanks,</font></span>
Woody</font></span>

I would not be 'holding' your breath on that happening anytime soon...seems like it just gets put back further and further....hope on this one I am wrong.

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 13:02
Coming soon to a Scubatoys location near you.<O:P></O:P>
I am really just waiting on the <ST1:STATE w:st="&#111;n"><ST1:PLACE w:st="&#111;n">Texas</ST1:PLACE></ST1:STATE> clipper to get sunk in South Padre to start running the training. Woody,
<DIV>Please put me on the waiting list of Wreck Diver Trainees. Maybe you can do basic Tech Diving training for a bunch of us before hand. Or, does that not make sense?</DIV>

woody
07-21-2007, 15:14
Maybe you can do basic Tech Diving training for a bunch of us before hand.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Intro Tech / DIR-F Pre Req We will be doing overhead training in this class so you will need to have those skills down really well.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 15:26
Intro Tech / DIR-F Pre Req We will be doing ovwerhead training in this class so you will need to have those skills down really well. When?

fire diver
07-22-2007, 15:23
Intro Tech / DIR-F Pre Req We will be doing ovwerhead training in this class so you will need to have those skills down really well.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Are you teaching these classes? I'll make a trip down to Dallas for that. What are the details of the class. Feel free to email me if you wish.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

woody
07-23-2007, 05:33
Will do. The schedule isa little tight throught november. I might have to cut a class that most likely will not have anyone sign up for to fit this one in. I'll keep everyone in the loop.
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 21:16
JipthePeople,
Surely there are dive shops in a city the size of Dallas that teach the wreck diving course. I live in Little Rock, and the LDS Im associated with teaches it once or twice a year depending on demand. We take our students down to Florida once a year for the open water dives, usually around the Pensacola area where there are many wrecks to dive. Our last class is full, and we will be going to Florida in mid-August for the ow dives.

Dive-aholic
08-01-2007, 00:06
JTP, I had the same problem in AZ. It just means you need to travel. I did my wreck training in NJ. I figured I might as well learn about wreck diving from a wreck diver. Same with my cavern/cave training. My recommendation is to find an instructor that dives wrecks on a regular basis - at least monthly, more often is better - and go to that instructor for the training. My old LDS did wreck training, but the instructors only dove wrecks during the wreck courses! Not really what I wanted from my training.