PDA

View Full Version : Mask Upgrade - Suggestions

Reg
11-15-2007, 04:22
My mask quite old and limited in viewing area. I'm considering an upgrade and I'm a bit behind in all the lastest Mask technologies.

Any suggestion on the type/brand of Mask's that i should look at that have a decent viewing angle? My price range <$100

zahgurim
11-15-2007, 06:59
Everyone's head is a different shape. Somebody's ideal mask might bug the piss out of you...

Head to a shop, try a few on, and go with the one that fits you best.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 07:07
I second the above. And, don't forget to pretend that you have a reg in your mouth while you are testing the suitability of the mask.

Netsloth
11-15-2007, 07:09
I am very interested in the new frameless masks that I've seen floating around. A couple of companies make a black-skirted low volume frameless split lens mask that I like. I think when it's time to replace my X-Vision, it will be one of those.

Chad
11-15-2007, 10:07
I really like my Atomic Subframe. It may or may not fit your face but if it does it is a really good low volume mask.

thor
11-15-2007, 10:27
I also loved the Atomic Masks, both the frameless and the subframe. Unfortunately neither of them fit, and fit is everything. If your mask fits, why upgrade it, unless you are one of those fortunate people who can fit into any mask.

Clanggedin
11-15-2007, 11:25
Atomic now makes their Subframe and frameless masks in 2 sizes. I use a regular and my brother uses the medium. If you have a cromag forehaed, then the Atomic low volume masks may not fit you comfortably.

ScubaJW
11-16-2007, 01:25
Go for Atomic Frameless mask, they have 2 sizes (large and medium). I have a very narrow face and I was quite pleased with medium sized mask. This mask has a great viewing and very comfortable! It's around 90 to 100 dollars.
Here is the link, scroll down to "Atomic Aquatics Frameless": Atomic Aquatics Scuba Masks (http://www.atomicaquatics.com/vision.html)

Reg
11-16-2007, 04:10
Thanks for the info has everyone, I noticed ST has the Tilos M580 Full Panoramic Mask Do the side windows really improve visibility?

kingfish
11-16-2007, 07:52
I like my Oceanic shadow and it is frameless and available in 2 sizes.

Jas.

MSilvia
11-16-2007, 08:13
I find side windows do help, but so long as there's an angle there it won't provide a contiguous view. You'll see what's in front of you, and then you'll have a "tunnel" of peripheral vision to each side. You'll know when you try it on.

I recommend any low-profile mask you like that fits well.

RoadRacer1978
11-16-2007, 08:45
When I first started diving I had a mask with side windows on it. I never really noticed that they helped. However I dive in low vis conditions, so I am usually paying very close attention to what is directly in front of me to keep from running into anything. In an enviroment with greater vis they may be of better use.

tenninstr
11-21-2007, 04:35
Dive Rite makes a very comfortable frameless mask and it seems to fit a lot of different size people.

PoseidonDiver
02-06-2008, 01:32
I have gone through a collection of masks and I still have most of them. The following are those that distinguished themselves among many others.

Ikari two lens rubber mask circa 1974
Cressi single lens circa 1978(this was actually my dad's)
Tusa Visulator/OceanMaster Primero, 2004
Oceanic Shadow, 2007
Atomic Frameless, 2008
Tilos Excel, 2008

Of all the above mentioned masks my favorite is the first since it introduced a seven-year old boy to the wonders of the deep, breathing off a snorkel mickey-moused onto a compressor(the kind you see at hardware stores) line. My second favorite is the Tilos Excel, at its $35.95 price it beats the pants off the Atomic Frameless and runs circles around the rest.

So with your $100 budget you should be able to get two of these shipped to you and still have enough left over for a case of Foster's or whatever it is you drink after a good day of diving down under.

Why two? One to use as your primary mask and the other as a spare in the unlikely event that you lose your primary mask.

fisheater
02-06-2008, 01:45
Another trend is towards angled lenses, which increase you field of view, especially down towards your gauges.

E.g., Cressi Big Eyes.

But, as everyone else has said, whether it fits YOUR face is the most important factor.

Shop around.

Scoobidoo
02-06-2008, 03:30
Another vote for the Atomic masks. I have a Subframe and it's brilliant, it seem to fit a variety of face sizes quite well. Worth a try. Technology-wise, they use ultra clear lenses which are suppose to give better visuals than most of the other lenses. Not sure how significant that is, but that's a recent technology to take into account.

CODMAN
02-06-2008, 07:43
The Mares liquidvision is the most comfortable mask I've ever tried on. It's worth a try in my oppinion. No matter the brand you choose, you need to have a mask that fits well, seals well, good vis and is comfortable. You need to try on a bunch of different ones to tell which is for you!:smiley20:

mwhities
02-06-2008, 09:07
I like my Oceanic shadow and it is frameless and available in 2 sizes.

Jas.

I agree with this. Although, I seem to have ripped a section out of my skirt. Mask still works but, it's strange how it got there as I don't remember doing anything to it.

I also bought a low profile mask from http://divealabama.com. No idea of the manufacture or brand name. I haven't used it yet as it is my back up. I guess I will next dive though.

RoyN
02-06-2008, 10:15
The problem with the oceanic shadow is, no RX lense. :smiley19: I really do want one.

MLenyo
02-06-2008, 14:58
i never hear anyone else mention it, but i have a tusa splendive II mask and i like it a lot. i paid 72 at my lds for it when i took ow.. just go try a bunch on and pick the one you like the best..... and then order it from ST =)

Reg
02-28-2008, 02:08
I noticed no one mentioned the Mares X-Vision or Demon. The demon is advertised as having a good field of vision.