PDA

View Full Version : Mares ABS Lock Fin Buckles

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 07:17
I'd bought a set of the Mares ABS Lock Buckles off Ebay to fit my Mares Plana Avanti fins and have much difficulty
1. to get the straps off the current buckles (help help help)
2. to get the new buckles onto the post on the Plana Avanti.

I do not know how many 'versions' of the Plana Avanti there are, but this is apparently and old pair - as in old stock. I got it brand new last year when the XS Plana Avanti X3 I was eyeing could not fit me. This is the only pair of fins that fitted well. It's not the Quattro either.

Does anyone have a pair of Plana Avanti original or one from years back, who's managed to change the buckles to the ABS lock one?
I had been assured by a dive shop owner that the ABS would fit any Plana Avanti open heeled. I do not know how true that is now.

Do I need a Bachelor in Fins and Such before I can change my buckles and straps or is there an easier way?

MSilvia
11-15-2007, 08:40
I changed my Mares Plana Avanti ABS buckle straps out for springs, and didn't have any trouble with them. What's the problem?

If I recall correctly (and I may not), I had to turn them 90 degrees to get them to come off.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 09:02
I changed my Mares Plana Avanti ABS buckle straps out for springs, and didn't have any trouble with them. What's the problem?

If I recall correctly (and I may not), I had to turn them 90 degrees to get them to come off.

What I have is normal buckles. I want to change them to the ABS buckles and cannot figure out how to. I could take off the original buckles; but cannot put the new buckles onto the pin. I also could not take the straps off the original buckles - or are we not to take straps off buckles?

I would go for springs eventually if this thing does not work out. But will have to get a set made that will fit my small fins/feet.

diversteve
11-15-2007, 12:55
I had been assured by a dive shop owner that the ABS would fit any Plana Avanti open heeled. I do not know how true that is now.
Sounds like it is:

This strap can also be used to replace standard fin straps if you want the quick release locking feature on your older Mares Fins, Bio Fins, Tusa Fins, or any other fin that uses a standard nickel size attachment post.

Do I need a Bachelor in Fins and Such before I can change my buckles and straps or is there an easier way?No but you need the correct sequence. I put them on my Tusa's last year. (briefly...)

First unbuckle/remove the strap.

There's two circular openings on the inside of the clip. The post is normally on the one closest to the small end of the buckle. You have to push it onto the center one to remove it.

MSilvia is right - rotate the buckle 90' so that it's perpendicular to the foot pocket with the small end of the buckle facing down and then give it a really strong push...

Once you hear/feel it click, it'll become loose on the post. If you can no longer click your old strap into place, it's in the proper position to be removed.

It's also keyed on the post so even after it's loose it only comes off in one position. With the fin lying flat align the small end of the buckle to about the 5:30 position and pull it firmly outwards and it should come right off.

Look at the new ones, you'll see the two circles with the restriction between them. That's what you have to force the pin on the fin through.

BTW, before you go through all the trouble, you might want to read this post about them (http://forum.scubatoys.com/mask-snorkels-fins/1963-mares-abs-buckles.html). Those ABS buckles are hard to open, I bent back my fingernail several times trying to get them open. And several times I couldn't get the red button to lock. Not as big a deal as the black tabs are pretty secure by themselves.

After a week of fingertip pain and one creased nail, I changed back to my old straps. I actually found the ABS buckles more difficult to remove while in the water than my original fin straps. Pulling out and forward hard to unsnap them was more awkward than reaching down and pressing the sides of my existing buckles.

Silverlode
11-15-2007, 23:13
Thanks Steve. And I did see that thread.... right after I ordered the buckles :(. So, I do have to give them a try and see how they go. I'd opened only one pack, so hopefully can sell the other pack if I really hate them, or if I don't succeed in fixing them on.
Dumb question, but I'd not seen one before... How big is a nickle?

diversteve
11-16-2007, 09:06
Dumb question, but I'd not seen one before... How big is a nickle?21.21mm in diameter.

Silverlode
11-20-2007, 04:17
Thanks for that. I'll go measure the post when I next try to do the buckles. I'd put everything back so that I can do some finning when in the pool. Kind of not motivated to change the buckles right now. :(
But I will get round to it, after I'd printed out all the 'instructions' I get here. :)

diversteve
11-20-2007, 15:32
I wouldn't assume that the "Nickel sized post" referred to is exactly the size of a U.S. Nickel, it's more of a reference. But the first part of the sentence seems to be valid in your case:
This strap can also be used to replace standard fin straps if you want the quick release locking feature on your older Mares Fins,

Silverlode
11-22-2007, 17:42
I'd managed to take the buckles off the fin.
I have yet to get the strap off the old buckles. Seem to be stuck. Managed to get one ABS buckle onto the post by fluke. Now struggling with the other one. I wonder how I'm going to take them off, if I don't like it... like you guys all seem to not like it.
Have attempted to upload a photo of the back of the new bucket, just to be sure it's the same as yours, and a photo of the strap on the old buckle, and the 'bump' that I can't get through the buckle to remove the strap.