PDA

View Full Version : Shark Shield

TRACI
11-15-2007, 09:41
So does anyone think the Shark Shield would actually be a shark deterrent? Or may just make a shark become aggressive?

Shark Shield :: Shark deterrent system :: protection from shark attack and great white sharks::Default.asp (http://www.sharkshield.com)

Chad
11-15-2007, 09:55
From what I have seen on tv about them they work. If I was surfing in Australia I would definitely be looking into this.

No Misses
11-15-2007, 10:16
I know spearfishermen that swear by them. If it can keep a bull shark away from the grouper that you just shot, imagine what it could do for the average diver. I have a dive buddy who just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I will post the results once he has made a few dives with it.

Blackrock
11-15-2007, 10:21
It may work, I'm not saying it doesn't -But it's totally unnecessary. This is a product based on a culture of fear, misunderstanding, and misrepresentation.

According to the ISAF, only 62 people IN THE ENTIRE WORLD were attacked by sharks in 2006...wait it gets better...only 4 were fatal. So 58 of those people are still alive.

ISAF Statistics for the Worldwide Locations with the Highest Shark Attack Activity Since 1990 (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/statsw.htm)

I got stung by a jellyfish once (ouch)...do they have a deterrent for them? :smilie39:

scubaculture
11-15-2007, 10:36
I'm with Blackrock on this one, the chances of anything happening are so remote that it is just not worth it.

Besides I want the sharks to come closer, not swim away :)

TRACI
11-15-2007, 10:53
The only encounter I have had with any type of shark is with a nurse shark, so it was not so scary , probably if I have the chance to see a different kind of shark and realize that they are a pretty awesome creature , it would make me feel more comfortable being in their presence.

gibson1525
11-15-2007, 11:15
i could see a use for them in spearfishing situations. as far as recreational dive situations, totally unnecessary.

moosicman
11-15-2007, 11:36
hmmmm.....with complete respect for blackrock and scubaculture's post, i am going to respectfully "deviate" from their opinion....i say deviate because i don't really disagree with them (as many of you who know me or my posts know i am a shark fanatic and am a proponent to change the mindset thay they are mindless killers, because they are not). they are just doing what they do, which is swimming and eating. i too have seen the ISAF reports and poured over them when considering getting scuba certified, just to satisfy a curiousity...i've also seen these websites and statistics:

How to search GSAF data (http://www.sharkattackfile.net/incidentlog.htm)

i say that to say that i am a fan and supporter of the research and am aware of these and other non-internet based files. that being said, if you look at these statistics together with others it isn't an accurate picture...it isn't completely wrong by any strech, it is just incomplete due to the lack of other statistical data. as an example to show what i mean i'll pose this: the number of dog bites vs. the number of shark bites = large margin between the two. obviously more people are around dogs than divers are around sharks, in terms of time and amount of access. so though it shows that a shark attack is an unlikely event, the two are not really equally related. now simply looking at the attack data also presents a few things to consider. one is the fact that globally i'm sure not all attacks are recorded and especially not all deaths. for instance, if a surfer is surfing and dies at the teeth of a shark but no one knows what happend and it is just that he disappeared, we may suppose it was a shark, but theories aren't put into the data, only facts. that also skews the number. the ISAF also does not give any information on the extent of the attack injury, so though its true you in all likelyhood will not die, you might lose your arm, leg, have severe scarring on your body trunk, and face phsycological issues and trama. i would prefer a bite on the arm from a dog (with a tiny amount of bite pressure/square inch) than i would a tiger or hammerhead (with a large (thousands of pounds) amount of bite pressure/square inch).

the data also doesn't show those near misses. i'm sure most divers can say: i haven't been attacked by a shark, but there was this one time that..., or, i ALMOST was. so the attack number = few, the almosts = ???....i'm going to say quite a significant number more than the attack number (if you are saying the almosts are sharks that are after your grouper that you've speared and you "successfully" fended him off)....this is quite an illusion i may add...and i'll stand corrected but i would say that we only fend off sharks because they allow it. if you truly had to do battle with a shark (and you didn't use a speargun or bangstick) i'm going to say you have nil chance in winning--mind you, i mean that it is an allout YOU against a shark--therefore i will not be attempting to "fend off" a shark when i know that if he wanted to bad enough he would and could have the best of me...

i say all that to say that i do not believe that the shark shield is totally unecessary, and though it is true that the "fear" stigma is inaccuratly attached to the shark, it didn't get that way from simply our imagination...they do attack and wound or kill people. not as a food source but MOSTLY by accident. but i do agree that we have an incorrect perception about this animal and the pedulum needs to swing back the other direction, just not to the other extreme.

two more things...apparently the shark shield can give you or your dive buddy a mighty shock if you are not paying careful attention to your surroundings and you touch the electrode that you wear on you....nothing at all harmful, just unpleasant. other than that, i've only heard of its successess and absolutely NO failures.

and no it does/will not make the shark more aggresive so that it comes after you. think of it as the taser for sharks....once us humans are tased we may be in a foul mood but we are not going to go back for more, we are going to run away, which is exactly what the sharks do....

p.s. i once heard a story from when krakken was diving with a shark shield and this big ol' beautiful Great White came by whining: "Don't Tase Me Bro!!"

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-15-2007, 11:42
Don't let my wife know about this. She'll insist that I take one with me.

TRACI
11-15-2007, 11:44
This could be a good gift for the scuba diver that has everthing.

kyfriedchipper
11-15-2007, 13:30
looks pretty effective - i wonder what other effects it may have on other fish

kyfriedchipper
11-15-2007, 13:33
also would like to see a test run on that island in South Africa where great whites feed all day long on seals...

moosicman
11-15-2007, 13:34
no permenant side effects an possibly no temporary effects other than wht is desired...this is just an electric current in the water, something that is ALREADY in the water with any living organism....only this is of a higher intensity, but not to any dangerous level despite size of organism.

scubaculture
11-15-2007, 13:40
also would like to see a test run on that island in South Africa where great whites feed all day long on seals...

I'll probably be going back to SA next year April so if I can find one of these I'll go try it out

TRACI
11-15-2007, 14:23
Definitly do not want to have a encounter with a great white

scubaculture
11-15-2007, 15:32
You don't know what you are missing!

moosicman
11-15-2007, 15:47
on the video from the sharkshield website the inventor sits underneath a tuna while a great white circles but DOES NOT come in for the easy meal. watch the videos here:

Shark Shield :: Shark deterrent system :: protection from shark attack and great white sharks::Default.asp (http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Home/)

TRACI
11-15-2007, 15:50
maybe so, but I do not want my 2nd shark encounter to be a great white, I need to start with something smaller, then work my way up to a great white!

scubaculture
11-15-2007, 15:55
If you ever in South Africa give the Tiger Sharks a chance:
YouTube - Tiger Shark dive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XFQ6fKzBg)

TRACI
11-15-2007, 16:20
Very cool video, but I would still be scared :smiley3:

Blackrock
11-15-2007, 17:20
Brad (moosicman) -- You make some very good points in your first post. (which is too long to quote here) I will agree with you that the device does have its applications.

I guess my point is that there are many animals on this planet that are dangerous to humans. As far as I know, we are not attempting to come up with deterrents for all of them.

I think the existence of the product will do more harm than good. It will be used more to fuel the fear of sharks than to help with that "mankiller" label. Some of the copy on the website has that tone to it.

This is from the website....
"Information on Shark Attacks
Shark attacks can happen at any time in any ocean throughout the world. No ocean users are discriminated against. People have been attacked while, swimming, diving snorkelling, surfing and also working within our oceans.

Each year there are around 50 to 70 confirmed shark attacks worldwide, of which 5 to 20 shark attack are fatal. In recent times these numbers have risen, most probably because humans are increasingly using the ocean for work and play, fish stocks are dwindling and their main source of seals are more protected than they used to be."

It's got that..."Look out! You may be next" feel.

I do agree that it has its uses.

BTW- Brad, Do you have anything to do with that Sharkwater movie, or are you just getting the word out??

moosicman
11-15-2007, 23:15
Brad (moosicman) -- You make some very good points in your first post. (which is too long to quote here) I will agree with you that the device does have its applications.

I guess my point is that there are many animals on this planet that are dangerous to humans. As far as I know, we are not attempting to come up with deterrents for all of them.

I think the existence of the product will do more harm than good. It will be used more to fuel the fear of sharks than to help with that "mankiller" label. Some of the copy on the website has that tone to it.

This is from the website....
"Information on Shark Attacks
Shark attacks can happen at any time in any ocean throughout the world. No ocean users are discriminated against. People have been attacked while, swimming, diving snorkelling, surfing and also working within our oceans.

Each year there are around 50 to 70 confirmed shark attacks worldwide, of which 5 to 20 shark attack are fatal. In recent times these numbers have risen, most probably because humans are increasingly using the ocean for work and play, fish stocks are dwindling and their main source of seals are more protected than they used to be."

It's got that..."Look out! You may be next" feel.

I do agree that it has its uses.

BTW- Brad, Do you have anything to do with that Sharkwater movie, or are you just getting the word out??

LOL...no i don't have anything to do with that sharkwater movie beyond thinking it was a great film and spoke to the very discussion we are having, and how the shark is not a man-eater...as a matter of fact, in the trailer on that website, the creator rob stewart says something to the effect that you are in the water with the thing you are taught to fear and it doesn't want to hurt you and it is the most beautiful thing ever.

but i do still have to respectfully disagree that the shark shield will do more harm than good....i actually think it will tend to ease the fears that we will be attacked at any minute because it is so effective. i also didn't think that the quotes from the website were hyped in any way or that they were untrue. as a matter of fact they are quite true. but i feel if they were going to hype it to make money or something that they would charge more than 645 for it. heck, BCDs and regs. cost that much...i know surfers would pay more than that for the knowledge that they can perform their sport and be safe.

and it is true that we aren't creating deterrents for some of the other dangerous animals we share the earth with, but only because we don't make sport in thier back yards as we do with the shark, who is the apex predator in the sea, without a doubt. if we did plan to park a tent in the middle of a pride of lions i am sure we would make a lion deterrent. in fact, as i have said in another post on this forum, it is a testament to the highly developed senses of the shark and the fact that they don't at all prefer us that keeps us from being attacked more frequently....i will bet big money that if we go for a jog beside a pack of tigers they will tear us to shreads and we would not survive, BUT we can swim among and with sharks....that is quite extraordianry.......

but let me say that i didnt' preview this post as close as i usually do so i hope that it doesn't come across as a flame back at you because it isn't....in fact i am proud that you posted what you did for i do agree with you that sharks are not the man-eaters we have made them out to be and your post has raised that awareness, so you are on the A team in my book!! and i thank you! now if i go down to Cozumel in December and run up on a hungry tiger shark, you have to pay my medical bills.....:smilie39:...and if i go to heaven you can have my new mares superchannels....;)

ps..i do not own stock or make any monitary gain from the sale of shark shields (but i will wear an endorsement model if they want to send me a free one :smiley32:)

navyhmc
11-16-2007, 02:29
Wonder how it would work in fresh water...Have you heard about the size of the catfish in Table rock Lake? LOL

medicdiver
11-16-2007, 02:35
Wonder how it would work in fresh water...Have you heard about the size of the catfish in Table rock Lake? LOL

What about the fresh water pirhanna in Beaver Lake?:smiley36:

navyhmc
11-16-2007, 02:54

What about the fresh water pirhanna in Beaver Lake?:smiley36:

who cares, all I have to do is squirt the cheese whiz next to you and swim like hades!!!!
:banana::mc05:

moosicman
11-16-2007, 07:09
the process would still work in fresh water but it probably wouldn't affect the pirhanna or any of the other fish that lack the ampullae of lorenzini, which are pores on the snout end of the shark that detect electromagnetic fields in the water, which all living organisms give off (kind of like electrovision for sharks...kind of). i don't know or am not aware of any other fish that have them but i will stand corrected about that....

Blackrock
11-16-2007, 09:37
:smiley20: Well said Brad!

I didn't for a second consider your post to be a flame. No worries. Perhaps some day I'll will wear one too. (If they become a bit cheaper):smiley36: